Tow plane types/mods for high density altitude glider towing

Old August 13th 19, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Tow plane types/mods for high density altitude glider towing

What are your favorite aircraft types (and modifications) for glider towing in high density altitude and/or short runways?
Old August 13th 19, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ag-Cat with Wasp Jr.!
Old August 13th 19, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:57:00 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Ag-Cat with Wasp Jr.!

Jerry Marshall's 400HP Brave!
He never did get the turbine Brave ready for towing.
Jim
Old August 13th 19, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 9:38:43 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
What are your favorite aircraft types (and modifications) for glider towing in high density altitude and/or short runways?

I fly a heavy two-seater and have been towed in hot/high locations (DA around 10k') behind a Pawnee 235, CallAir A9, C188 AgWagon and a C185 SkyWagon. All four did a reasonable job with the C188 being the best. I think the Pawnee and definitely the two Cessnas had a constant speed prop and did actually better than the CallAir, which I was told had the most HP. I have no idea if any one of them had turbo-charged engines. A low wing, constant speed prop and lots of uumph seems to be the winning combination.

Uli
'AS'
Old August 13th 19, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 9:38:43 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
What are your favorite aircraft types (and modifications) for glider towing in high density altitude and/or short runways?

They used to have 450hp Stearman at Stroudsburg. It wasn't a tow so much as being dragged vertically into the air.

P3
Old August 13th 19, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 11:04:05 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

They used to have 450hp Stearman at Stroudsburg. It wasn't a tow so much as being dragged vertically into the air.

P3

I once saw Jim Parker take off and tow a glider behind a Pitts Special... at 100 knots. They towed XC to an air show.
Old August 13th 19, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Dennis Tito tows with a turbine Cessna 206 or 207. Perlan is using a turbine Grob. I have towed behind a turbine Ag Cat. Agree on the “being dragged skyward” comment. Was at 2K agl at the end of the runway..

I Have towed a loaded SGS 2-32 and loaded Janus out of Aspen, CO dozens of times with a 180 Cub. Not recommended.....

The 260 and 235 Pawnee, C-188, or big engine 182, 180, 185 have all worked well at Ely and Parowan and other high desert sites for decades.
Old August 13th 19, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

At 08:07 13 August 2019, Peter F wrote:
I've seen a tow behind a Pilatus Turboporter at Gap Tallard

I've *had* a tow behind a Pilatus at Gap-Tallard. My pupil had no trouble
flying the 2-seat glider ... but the Pilatus pilot (disappointingly?) used

significantly reduced power!

Old August 13th 19, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

A 300-hp Ag Wagon works just fine at 9,500' density altitude.* Quite
comfortable for the tow pilot, too!

--
Dan, 5J