Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

Old August 20th 19, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

Just saw this advert in Barnstormers.com

The nicest gliderport in the USA in my opinion. The swimming pool makes it so.

http://www.floridaairparkhomes.com/p...-for-sale.html

Rich Owen: Please reply if anything about the advert is not true.

Old August 20th 19, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 7:27:58 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Just saw this advert in Barnstormers.com

The nicest gliderport in the USA in my opinion. The swimming pool makes it so.

http://www.floridaairparkhomes.com/p...-for-sale.html

Rich Owen: Please reply if anything about the advert is not true.

As a business proposition, $3 million dollars would require an annual income of around 10% of that, or $300,000 per year. Is that remotely possible for a gliderport or do we need a Russian oligarch who needs his money laundered?

Mike
Old August 20th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I have heard of some Eastern Europeans making investments in the US...YMMV.....(read some threads about some of them, thought at least one was that site, or another site in Florida...)....
Old August 21st 19, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Andreea, please buy it!
Old August 21st 19, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 1:02:54 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I have heard of some Eastern Europeans making investments in the US...YMMV.....(read some threads about some of them, thought at least one was that site, or another site in Florida...)....

It was indeed Seminole, but let's not dig up that Florida swamp again!

However, enquiring minds wonder who the current owners are?

Mike
Old August 21st 19, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 7:27:58 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Just saw this advert in Barnstormers.com

The nicest gliderport in the USA in my opinion. The swimming pool makes it so.

http://www.floridaairparkhomes.com/p...-for-sale.html

Rich Owen: Please reply if anything about the advert is not true.

What would be great if a wealthy soaring pilot purchased and donated to the SSA or put in a foundation so this property would always remain a glider port. Sorry, I am not currently cashed up to do this. Not sure why all the innuendo, this has been a beautiful place to fly for many east coast pilots and traveling pilots.
Old August 21st 19, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Burt,

Thanks for the kind words about Seminole-Lake Gliderport. The owner is still trying to return to the US this upcoming year. He has the gliderport up for sale or an interested investor could buy a portion of it. There is zero debt and we have done extensive work on the Pawnees and the facilities. Two have recently overhauled engines with the third due in 2021 (a reserve for the overhaul is 100% funded now). Training is doing great but we want to acquire 2 new trainers. We were hoping to buy 2 new ASW-21B’s from Williams Soaring this year but it would have cut into our cash reserves too far. We are always looking for land to acquire adjacent to the gliderport for expansion opportunities. This is a business that was 50 years old last year. I don’t see us going away. Construction is about 30% complete for a turning lane into the gliderport and the turn to get on Highway 461 to Clermont. This will significantly improve the safety of our pilots and staff going to/from the field. Thanks goes to our elected representatives who recognized our concerns at this dangerous intersection. Hope to see you all at the Seniors March 13-20, 2020 for our 30th Anniversary edition.

Rich Owen
Vice President
Seminole Flying & Soaring
Old August 21st 19, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 7:27:58 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Just saw this advert in Barnstormers.com

The nicest gliderport in the USA in my opinion. The swimming pool makes it so.

http://www.floridaairparkhomes.com/p...-for-sale.html

Rich Owen: Please reply if anything about the advert is not true.

Burt,

I'd say Minden is the nicest gliderport in the USA. I don't understand what a pool has to do with gliding.
Old August 21st 19, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't understand what a pool has to do with gliding.

Really? Let's see... you just landed back at Seminole after about four hours or so. The temperature is in the nineties, with humidity also right up there. There is the pool...with your significant other crewperson happily wiggling her toes in the water, with the handheld radio in reach. "Hey, welcome back! I've been listening and as soon as I heard you on final glide, I brought the cooler over. Grab a beer and hop in! The water's great! How was the flight?"

Well, it could happen. And it does regularly at Seminole and down the road at the hang gliding paradise at Wallaby Ranch.

Old August 22nd 19, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:05:25 AM UTC-7, Rich Owen wrote:
[...]

Hi Rich,

By "owner" are you referring to Mihai Tanjala? Perhaps you can enlighten us to WHY he hasn't been able to return to the US.

Tom