Things to remember in very hot weather

Old June 29th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

On Jun 29, 8:30*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
terry writes:
Not being a simmer myself, *but dont you guys look at performance
charts and weather reports and make pretend flight plans and all that
sort of stuff that real pilots do? or do you just jump on the computer
and take off?

I only look at performance charts in unusual situations (such as this one). *I
fly the same aircraft regularly and in normal situations I have a good idea
what performance to expect. *Yesterday I noted the temperature on the ramp to
be 42.9° C, and so I worried a bit about any potential problems that I might
have forgotten about that are associated with high ambient temperatures, which
is why I asked about it.

Why do you worry? Worrying to me implies some sort of sonsequences if
you screw up. Can you please elaborate on the consequences you are
worried about, I am really intrigued.
Terry
Old June 29th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

terry writes:

Why do you worry? Worrying to me implies some sort of sonsequences if
you screw up. Can you please elaborate on the consequences you are
worried about, I am really intrigued.

I might have an accident.
Old June 29th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:45:58 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

More_Flaps writes:

Sweat dripping onto your keyboard and BO attracting the landlord.

The hot weather was in the sim, not in real life (fortunately). That's
another advantage of simulation. There would be nothing fun about flying at
43° C in real life.

on the contrary it is a hell of a lot of fun.
just how long do you think it stays 43 C when you are flying for real?

Stealth Pilot
Old June 29th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
More_Flaps writes:

Sweat dripping onto your keyboard and BO attracting the landlord.

The hot weather was in the sim, not in real life (fortunately). That's
another advantage of simulation. There would be nothing fun about flying
at
43° C in real life.

I doubt it would be uncomfortably hot at 3-4000 feet if it's 43° C on the
ground. Maybe you're flying too close to the ground.

Tony P.

Old June 29th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

wrote:

More_Flaps writes:

Sweat dripping onto your keyboard and BO attracting the landlord.

The hot weather was in the sim, not in real life (fortunately). *That's
another advantage of simulation. *There would be nothing fun about flying at
43° C in real life.

on the contrary it is a hell of a lot of fun.
just how long do you think it stays 43 C when you are flying for real?

everyone knows that Stealth , as you get closer to the sun it gets
hotter, thats why that Icarus dude got his wings melted, and its why I
fly a high wing.. just for the shade factor.
Terry

Old June 29th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On Jun 29, 8:32 am, "muff528" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

More_Flaps writes:

Sweat dripping onto your keyboard and BO attracting the landlord.

The hot weather was in the sim, not in real life (fortunately). That's
another advantage of simulation. There would be nothing fun about flying
at
43° C in real life.

I doubt it would be uncomfortably hot at 3-4000 feet if it's 43° C on the
ground. Maybe you're flying too close to the ground.

Tony P.

I'll disagree, 43° C (109 f.) is extremely uncomfortable at 3000'.
Unless you have A/C in the plane, I don't.
Lou
Old June 29th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

More_Flaps writes:

Sweat dripping onto your keyboard and BO attracting the landlord.

The hot weather was in the sim, not in real life (fortunately). That's
another advantage of simulation. There would be nothing fun about
flying
at
43° C in real life.

I doubt it would be uncomfortably hot at 3-4000 feet if it's 43° C on the
ground. Maybe you're flying too close to the ground.

Tony P.

I'll disagree, 43° C (109 f.) is extremely uncomfortable at 3000'.
Unless you have A/C in the plane, I don't.
Lou

Yep, 43° C (109 f.) WOULD be extremely uncomfortable at 3000'. But it
probably not that hot at 3000 if it's 43C on the ground.

TP

Old June 29th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On Jun 29, 8:57 am, "muff528" wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

On Jun 29, 8:32 am, "muff528" wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

.. .

More_Flaps writes:

Sweat dripping onto your keyboard and BO attracting the landlord.

The hot weather was in the sim, not in real life (fortunately). That's
another advantage of simulation. There would be nothing fun about
flying
at
43° C in real life.

I doubt it would be uncomfortably hot at 3-4000 feet if it's 43° C on the
ground. Maybe you're flying too close to the ground.

Tony P.

I'll disagree, 43° C (109 f.) is extremely uncomfortable at 3000'.
Unless you have A/C in the plane, I don't.
Lou

Yep, 43° C (109 f.) WOULD be extremely uncomfortable at 3000'. But it
probably not that hot at 3000 if it's 43C on the ground.

TP

I'll be honest, I won't fly (C152) in that hot of weather. Solo, I can
get
off the ground, but I can't grasp the controls. My palms sweat like a
fountain.
Lou
Old June 29th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

muff528 wrote:

Yep, 43° C (109 f.) WOULD be extremely uncomfortable at 3000'. But it
probably not that hot at 3000 if it's 43C on the ground.

Do you fly?

109F on the ground would be at or near 100F at 3,000. That's still hot,
especially with the sun beating on you through the windows.
Old June 29th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
news
muff528 wrote:

Yep, 43° C (109 f.) WOULD be extremely uncomfortable at 3000'. But it
probably not that hot at 3000 if it's 43C on the ground.

Do you fly?

109F on the ground would be at or near 100F at 3,000. That's still hot,
especially with the sun beating on you through the windows.

Yeah, appox 3 degrees per 1000ft would hold up in a homogenous air column.
But I don't think that's necessarily the case everywhere. For example, here
in Florida I have noticed that even in summertime when it's oppressively hot
and humid at the surface, there seems to be an abrupt drop in temperature
around 3000 to 4000 ft. That's the only reason I picked the 3000 ft. number.
Maybe that's not the case in less humid climes. In wintertime (typically
less humid) it just gets colder and colder from the ground up to over 20000
where my experience ends in an unpressurized environment although I've heard
it definitely gets even colder.:-)
If it's still too hot at 3000 feet just go higher till you cool off! You're
in an airplane!

Tony P.

Deadlines to remember Gilan Home Built 5 July 5th 06 09:28 PM
Remember to tip your ... pilot? Brien K. Meehan Piloting 10 February 4th 06 03:25 PM
Remember when? Billposter Naval Aviation 21 August 22nd 05 09:22 PM
Tasha. Anyone remember her? Mike Anselmo Naval Aviation 2 February 15th 04 03:28 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM