*********A DEFENCE FOR MXMORAN***********

Old March 4th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default *********A DEFENCE FOR MXMORAN***********

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Wrong, try again.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Virgi...4Q8/0314046/L/

Looks just like the sim.

Not shown are the dozens of switches and buttons on the overhead
panel.

That's okay, I know what they are and what they do already.

Yeah, so what?

I noticed you snipped the part where you were wrong, i.e. where you stated
there were only a dozen of so switches and buttons.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 4th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Mar 4, 2:15*pm, wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Wrong, try again.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Virgi...Boeing-747-4Q8....

Looks just like the sim.

Not shown are the dozens of switches and buttons on the overhead
panel.

That's okay, I know what they are and what they do already.

Yeah, so what?

I noticed you snipped the part where you were wrong, i.e. where you stated
there were only a dozen of so switches and buttons.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

It's been two hours staring at that screen (NOT) and I am still
looking for the altitude hold button LOL I'za along with the 100's of
passengers would have been dead 118 minutes ago looking for that durn
thing.

Is it a button, toggle switch, twist knob or what? Gee, imagine ATC
describing to me where to look as gravity's unyielding force is
applied against the airplane current course.

MAY DAY, MAY DAY!!! Oh dang it, ATC hung up the phone because John
Q pilot like myself didn't know where the altitude hold button was.
Old March 4th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

-b- writes:

Fortunately, safe pilots are not so brazen. Instead of testosterone to assert
knowledge, they rely on documentation and they cross-check.

They can do that with simulation alone.
Old March 4th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

-b- writes:

No time is spent teaching pilots "clever ways to estimate distances"
as this would be inconsistent with safety.

How else do they determine distances?

No one can reguilarly crash and die.

True. It's a different pilot each time.
Old March 4th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

-b- writes:

Sensorial clues supported by visual clues are quite different from the former
without the latter, as is widely recognized in the pertinent literature. Close
your eyes in VMC, and you're not really in VMC anymoe, are you. . .

If physical sensations were useful, you'd be able to fly with your eyes
closed. The fact that you cannot demonstrates that they are not useful.

About the best one can say about physical sensations is that they may alert
you to the fact that something has changed. That isn't terribly useful,
though, especially if you have kept your situational awareness to begin with.

Not to worry - people regularly get confused when presented with tasks they
do not comprehend.

It's a recall task, not a comprehension task, and few people have perfect
recall.
Old March 4th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

-b- writes:

Sensorial clues supported by visual clues are quite different from the
former
without the latter, as is widely recognized in the pertinent literature.
Close
your eyes in VMC, and you're not really in VMC anymoe, are you. . .

If physical sensations were useful, you'd be able to fly with your eyes
closed. The fact that you cannot demonstrates that they are not useful.

What a colossally stupid thing to say.

"If the sense of balance were useful, you'd be able to walk around
safely with your eyes closed. The fact that you cannot demonstrates that
it is not useful."

There's a big difference between useful and sufficient.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old March 4th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Mar 5, 1:47*am, -b- wrote:
In article ,
says...

-b- writes:

No time is spent teaching pilots "clever ways to estimate distances"
as this would be inconsistent with safety.

How else do they determine distances?

By instruments. That's what they're there for.
But this is news to many non-pilots, who in the face of all evidence fail
to comprehend simple realities.

Well, not quite. "Extend your downwind a mile" is obeyed sans
instruments, ditto how far from the runway you fly your downind, or
when center announces traffic in visual conditions. In all cases we
poor two slobs who are farther away than the MX imposted 100 feet
somehow manage to muddle thru. He is confusing 3D stationary observer
perceptions with the real world we operate in. Ocular depth preception
that depends on the distance between our ours is one kind. The other
kind depends on what's between our ears, and among other things it's
sometimes called situational awareness. That is very much 3D, by the
way.