How to land on a grass airstrip

Old June 21st 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default How to land on a grass airstrip

You probably want to avoid this technique.

http://www.fayettevillenc.com/article_ap?id=87256

Old June 21st 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Chris G. wrote:
It was just a misconception I had until later in my training. I think
it was probably because there are significant differences in the
procedures (holding nose off vs, keep nose on the ground as much as
possible), they're tested separately in the PTS, and I didn't really
have a good practice strip for short/soft fields. My Instructor (aka my
Dad) did a good job explaining the need to combine techniques, I just
didn't get it until later on.

any-one want to give out the speed/time formulae as to finding the
length of the grass strip -before- you land on it...

Old June 22nd 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"george" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chris G. wrote:
It was just a misconception I had until later in my training. I think
it was probably because there are significant differences in the
procedures (holding nose off vs, keep nose on the ground as much as
possible), they're tested separately in the PTS, and I didn't really
have a good practice strip for short/soft fields. My Instructor (aka my
Dad) did a good job explaining the need to combine techniques, I just
didn't get it until later on.

any-one want to give out the speed/time formulae as to finding the
length of the grass strip -before- you land on it...

60Mph = about 90fps

1.5 X Mph = Fps

100mph = 150fps
10 second pass = 1500 feet
20 second pass = 3000 '

Al G

Old June 22nd 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Al wrote:
"george" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chris G. wrote:
It was just a misconception I had until later in my training. I think
it was probably because there are significant differences in the
procedures (holding nose off vs, keep nose on the ground as much as
possible), they're tested separately in the PTS, and I didn't really
have a good practice strip for short/soft fields. My Instructor (aka my
Dad) did a good job explaining the need to combine techniques, I just
didn't get it until later on.

any-one want to give out the speed/time formulae as to finding the
length of the grass strip -before- you land on it...

60Mph = about 90fps

1.5 X Mph = Fps

100mph = 150fps
10 second pass = 1500 feet
20 second pass = 3000 '

Thank you kind sir

Old June 25th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:29:49 -0400, Skylune wrote:

You probably want to avoid this technique.

http://www.fayettevillenc.com/article_ap?id=87256

What a trashy rag for releasing what potentially could be the pilot's name
before the family was notified.

Greg