Best Headset?

Old July 20th 04, 01:21 AM
Hankal

Default Best Headset?

Question to all who use Lightspeed headsets.
I have been using Avcom headsets for the last 4 years. Only complaint is the
pressure on the ears, even with GEL cups.

How do you like Lightspeed? Pro and Con.
What is the best model for the best cost?
How do you rate the reliability?
Where is cheapest place to get one?

Hank 172 driver
Old July 20th 04, 01:44 AM
Geo. Anderson

On 7/19/04 7:21 PM, Hankal wrote the following:

Question to all who use Lightspeed headsets.
I have been using Avcom headsets for the last 4 years. Only complaint is the
pressure on the ears, even with GEL cups.

How do you like Lightspeed? Pro and Con.
What is the best model for the best cost?
How do you rate the reliability?
Where is cheapest place to get one?

Hank 172 driver

Not a Lightspeed and not cheap but if you want low pressure and,
especially if you are going to Oshkosh, you might want to look at this one:

http://www.clarityaloft.com/

A new design, new company, guy running it is a friend of mine and I have
been among those testing the headsets for him.

The earpieces have been proven and are used in military helos. The mic
and headband have been proven and are used in high-end professional
stage performance. Audio quality is absolutely stunning and they weigh
nothing. No pressure, of course, because no muffs. Actually quieter
than my ANR Softcomm C-90s, especially above the low frequency range
which is the only place that ANR works.

He told me that they were going to have special pricing for CFIs, but I
do not see it on the web site. So ask.

Other than he's a friend, I get nothing out of recommending the product.
In fact I had to pay for mine. :-(

Geo. Anderson
Old July 20th 04, 02:14 AM
Dan Luke

"Hankal" wrote:
How do you like Lightspeed? Pro and Con.

I have a Lightspeed and a Telex. The Lightspeed is more comfortable and
is easier on batteries. The Telex has better ANR performance and a
better microphone and has been more durable.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 20th 04, 04:54 AM
Cecil Chapman

I've used the lightspeed models from the low-end passive headsets to the
'higher' end ANR's. I've consistently been pleased with the product and
even more impressed with the customer support staff at Lightspeed.. seems
to be a great bunch of people who have been very helpful and accommodating
in my past dealings with them.

Currently I have the 3G series ANR,,,, and a 25XL as a passenger headset
(which I will be trading in for a 3G series at lightspeed).

I used my Lightspeed Passive Solo X-country headset for more than a few
years after getting my PPL and was most pleased with it.

If you can afford the $$$ for ANR, go for it... I have to admit I was a
little skeptical hearing about how the sound reduction could reduce
fatigue - I'm a believer, now. Never realized that long low drone could sap
a bit of energy from you.

Enjoy!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"

Old July 20th 04, 04:46 PM
Jonathan

I have 2 Lightspeed 20XL ANR headsets and have been well pleased with both.
I have not had a need to use their customer service, but I have heard that
it is great! BTW- I sold 2 David Clark headsets to buy my lightspeeds and
I have not regreted it a bit.

Jonr
Old July 20th 04, 06:21 PM
Ross Richardson

I have a 180 hp cessna 172 and have owned two Lightspeed 15Ks since they
came out. I had to send one back when the seat ran over the cord.
Lightspeed replaced it for....FREE.

I had one ear stirrup crack and they sent the a replacement to me and I
fixed myself, for FREE. They said I could send it in, but I could handle
this repair.

They are bulky looking, but they are light and comfortable and I feel a
lot better after a long flight.

I keep looking at upgrading, but these seem to work just fine. One
reason to upgrade is to get the model that will accommodate a cell phone
for those clearance deliveries.

Ross

Old July 20th 04, 09:43 PM
Kobra

I have the Lightspeed 30-3G's for pilot and passenger. I love them. I like
to plug my Rio MP3 player in and have music for the flight. They can be set
up so that on the pilot's side when ATC talks the music cuts out. When ATC
stops talking the music fades in slowly. I set the passenger headset to
keep the music constant.

Also I have my passenger plug in their cell phone to the cell phone port at
5 miles out to call a cab if necessary. This way they're waiting for us on
landing.

Our DE broke the mic boom about a month ago (it only rotates one direction).
He forced it to rotate the wrong way. It still worked but the mic was
intermittent on rare occasions. I called Lightspeed and they said they'd
fix it for free so I just mailed it back to them.

Kobra

Old July 20th 04, 09:57 PM
SFM

"Hankal" wrote in message
Question to all who use Lightspeed headsets.

I used to be a user is it ok for me to answer? Those that have given them up
may offer a valuable viewpoint as you consider you purchase

I have been using Avcom headsets for the last 4 years. Only complaint is

the
pressure on the ears, even with GEL cups.

How do you like Lightspeed? Pro and Con.

I have owned 3 different lightspeeds headsets and I have used two fo them,
the third is still used by my wife.
The first on I had was a 15XL. Good performance, comfortable but I did hate
the size and the earcups were seperating from the earpieces after a year.
But LS was offering an trade up program to the 20-3G so I traded up. I
really hated that headset. The batteries kept falling out. The noise
reduction was not very good compared to the 15xl, there was an intermittent
buzzing. One of my co-workers had that headset and it failed completely on
him during a flight.

My wife's LS is a QFR and it broke within 5 hours of purchase while in
flight. Her microphone went dead.

In both of these cases LS fixed the problem for free and quickly but like
many others I wanted reliability not just a good repair. I did not want to
loos my headset functionality while IMC and then have to deal with the noise
in the cockpit, a hand mic and fly the airplane along with all the other
stuff. SO I went David Clark 13XL (new ANC box). So far I love it. It is
smaller and fits very well, I do not expeiernce the clamping problem and I
like that is has worked without issue since I got it.

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**
-------------------------------------

Old July 21st 04, 12:48 AM
Hankal

I keep looking at upgrading, but these seem to work just fine. One
reason to upgrade is to get the model that will accommodate a cell phone
for those clearance deliverie

why would you get clearence over the phone?
I alway get my clearence on the ground with tower or in the air without a
tower.
What am I missing?
Hank
Old July 21st 04, 12:50 AM
Hankal

I love them. I like
to plug my Rio MP3 player in and have music for the flight. They can be set
up so that on the pilot's side when ATC talks the music cuts out.

Do use the headset for this or the intercom