Helo pilot shortage?

Old April 21st 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Helo pilot shortage?

Just a curiosity question, but just heard a radio commercial
for some helicopter pilot school that will take you all the
way to your commercial license in 18 months, all costs defered
until graduation "because of the extreme shortage of helicopter
pilots."

No, I'm not considering the program.

So, is there a shortage?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old April 21st 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Most helicopter pilots are trained in the Army because of
the high cost. Right now, the military pilots are fighting
a war and not looking for civilian work. There is a
temporary shortage of 1,000 hour rotor pilots.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Skywise" wrote in message
| Just a curiosity question, but just heard a radio
commercial
| for some helicopter pilot school that will take you all
the
| way to your commercial license in 18 months, all costs
defered
| until graduation "because of the extreme shortage of
helicopter
| pilots."
|
| No, I'm not considering the program.
|
| So, is there a shortage?
|
| Brian
| --
| http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy,
Skepticism
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html

Old April 21st 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Skywise wrote:
Just a curiosity question, but just heard a radio commercial
for some helicopter pilot school that will take you all the
way to your commercial license in 18 months, all costs defered
until graduation "because of the extreme shortage of helicopter
pilots."

No, I'm not considering the program.

So, is there a shortage?

Brian

Brian
Sounds like Silver State Helicopters and their aggressive sales
program. Overpriced and fraught with problems. As Jim said, a shortage
of qualified pilots. That doesn't mean low time pilots. But, that has
been and always will be the case in commercial aviation.
Ol Shy & Bashful

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Old April 21st 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
Just a curiosity question, but just heard a radio commercial
for some helicopter pilot school that will take you all the
way to your commercial license in 18 months, all costs defered
until graduation "because of the extreme shortage of helicopter
pilots."

No, I'm not considering the program.

So, is there a shortage?

That's what they told me prior to starting A&P school. "Oh, the USA is has a
shortage of (something like) 10,000 mechanics."

So, while I was in school, 9-11 happened, I finished school and got my A&P,
but... well... I still repair printing presses for a living...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0616-4, 04/21/2006
Tested on: 4/21/2006 7:36:03 AM

Old April 21st 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Silver State seems to be making that claim. I'm not sure if its true or
not but I know the military is still putting out enourmous numbers of
helo pilots with thousands of hours of turbine time. Not sure how a
Silver State CFI-H will do with 500hrs of piston time.
My neighbor went through the Silver State program. He got about 30
hours of time under his belt and then was told to go get his medical.
He got approved for class 3 (private use) but failed his class 2
(commercial use). The class 3 is of no use to him so now he's done with
a huge loan payment to make. As a CFI myself I find it totally
unprofessional that anyone would allow a student to get over $10,000
into training before checking on their medical. The Silver State CFI's
are just Silver State students themselves, desperate to gain as much
time as possible.
-Robert

Old April 21st 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in news:1145619486.117732.76660
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Skywise wrote:
Just a curiosity question, but just heard a radio commercial
for some helicopter pilot school that will take you all the
way to your commercial license in 18 months, all costs defered
until graduation "because of the extreme shortage of helicopter
pilots."

No, I'm not considering the program.

So, is there a shortage?

Brian

Brian
Sounds like Silver State Helicopters and their aggressive sales
program. Overpriced and fraught with problems. As Jim said, a shortage
of qualified pilots. That doesn't mean low time pilots. But, that has
been and always will be the case in commercial aviation.
Ol Shy & Bashful

Yep...that's the group. Thanks all for the replies. It confirmed my
suspicion that, if they're advertising a school on TV because there's
a shortage, by the time you get through the program, there won't be
any jobs available, for whatever reason.

Myself, after high school, had gone the ITT Tech route for electronics.
I only completed the first year, but still eventually got a job and
built up some experience. When I quit that job, I was making over
9/hr. Then the reality set in. The market was so full of electronic
techs by then that the only offers were for fully degreed, 5-7 year
experienced people, and starting at only 7/hr tops, usually 6.50.
Needless to say, I am no longer in that line of work. This was in the
early 90's.

It seems several other industries did the same thing. By the time
it's advertised on TV, it's already too late. I figured this helo
school was the same deal.