F-4E Story

Old February 26th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

Default F-4E Story

Here is the start of my book on my life as a fighter pilot, engineer,
astronaut instructor, and involuntary lockup in a psych ward. Tell me what
you think.

Danny Deger

My god, I couldn't believe it. Captain John "Lips" Fraley had just turned
his F-4E Phantom II in front of me and gave me his six. Santa Claus had
come early and had given me the best present ever. As Lips had briefed, we
had started off with him having the offensive advantage and in two turns I
had made it a neutral fight. We were passing beak-to-beak and I was
preparing for a successful separation - unload, full burner, maybe a couple
of check turns to add a few of angles without bleeding off my own speed.
Piece of cake. Doing a good separation was about as easy as it gets in this
business. And, just getting away without getting shot was going to ****
Lips off - after all he had the advantage at the start.

As I said we were passing beak-to-beak with him to my left. Before the
merge he turns hard right. Big mistake Lips. Big, big mistake. I am going
to make him pay with his life.

I pull hard left and get behind him. This is great -- almost better than
sex. I am lined up for a heat missile. "Fox 2", I call.

Lips is flailing around. He continues turning desperately to his right. I
follow. Time for another heater, "Fox 2", I call again. By the rules of
engagement I had a valid kill and could call "knock it off", but I am having
way too much fun. I have the advantage. I want a guns kill.

Lips is about out of airspeed and ideas. I move into the saddle. I have a
radar lock, my gun site is active and accurate. Pull some more on the stick
and a little bit of right rudder to move the pipper to the middle of his
cockpit and hold it for a second or two. Now pull the trigger, "Guns, Guns,
Guns. Tracking, Tracking, Tracking. Eagle flight knock-it off."

All the trigger did was turn on the gun camera and film the event. In real
combat, 20 millimeter cannon shells would have come out of the M-61 Vulcan
cannon in the nose of my F-4 at the rate of 100 rounds a second. Each shell
has the explosive destruction of half a hand grenade and bit of incinerary
to make sure what is left catches on fire. The cockpit under my pipper that
contained Captain John "Lips" Fraley and his Weapon Systems Officer would
simply have ceased to exists.

After we landed, I couldn't wait for the debrief. Usually the fight is
close and the lead can win the fight in the debrief. After all he is
running the debrief and can say what he wants. But I knew Lips was toast
with this one. Two valid heaters and a stable guns tracking solution was
too much to turn around by spin in the debriefing room. I stopped by the
beer machine and got two cold Buds. This was going to be a two beer
debrief and I was going to love every minute. I was wrong. I met a furious
and humiliated Lips in the hall. "This debrief is over," he fumed.

"But why. Don't you want to know what you did wrong. You turned in front
of me"

"I didn't turn in front of you I led turned you."

I was starting to realize what had happened. Lips was so ****ed that I was
going to separate from a fight that he started out offensive, his mind
melted down and he couldn't tell the difference between turning in front of
an opponent and lead turn for a kill. His ego was so hurt by my upcoming
separation, he made a mistake - a big mistake. This goes to show you the
first rule of air-to-air combat. You aren't fighting another airplane, you
are fighting another human. Get into their head and make them **** up. It
is much easier to win this way that with a few angles hear and a few feet
closer there.

I didn't get the satisfaction of sipping two beers in a long debrief where
we went through the flight one step at a time. Lips stomped off without
having a clue what his mistake was. His loss.

I went to the squadron bar and sat down to gloat. I was proud of myself. I
didn't tell a soul I had just guns tracked the famous Captain Lips. But one
advantage of a two seat airplane is there are WSOs (pronounced Whiss-ohs) in
addition to the pilots. I knew these two guys would get the word out. I
must say really enjoyed those two cold Buds.

Old February 26th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Danny Deger" said:
Here is the start of my book on my life as a fighter pilot, engineer,
astronaut instructor, and involuntary lockup in a psych ward. Tell me what
you think.

Learn how to spell "gun sight". Otherwise, fine stuff.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-
Old February 26th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Danny Deger" said:
Here is the start of my book on my life as a fighter pilot, engineer,
astronaut instructor, and involuntary lockup in a psych ward. Tell me
what
you think.

Learn how to spell "gun sight". Otherwise, fine stuff.

Thanks for the head up. The fix is alreay in.

Danny Deger

Old February 27th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

:
: Learn how to spell "gun sight". Otherwise, fine stuff.
:
:

I thought he meant that was where his guns were located....

And, too bad it was a bud...

;-)

Old February 27th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Danny Deger" wrote

Here is the start of my book on my life as a fighter pilot, engineer,
astronaut instructor, and involuntary lockup in a psych ward. Tell me
what you think.

First, try to take this all as my attempt at constructive criticisim, and
not flaming, in any way.

Be carefull, that your writing is not so "lingo correct" that the only ones
that can read it are people that are in the field. That would limit your
audience, quite a bit. g

As you tell your story, you can explain the lingo, in plain language as part
of the story, so that once it is explained, the lingo becomes understood,
and learned.

We were passing beak-to-beak

I have some ideas wht that means, but I'm really not positive, and would
just be guessing.

and I was preparing for a successful separation

What is a sucessfull separation; how do you know when you have one, and why
is that an important thing?

- unload, full burner, maybe a couple of check turns to

Check turns? To check where he is?

add a few of angles

I think the angles is angels? as in altitude?

"I didn't turn in front of you I led turned you."

HuH?

I like hearing stuff like this, but I would definitely be thinking that I
had missed half of the story. Like I said, make explaining the terms part
of to story, and part of the color of the story telling.

Good luck! That is an ambitious project.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 27th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Tony" wrote in message
ups.com...
Please provide the URL, Danny

What URL are you refering to.

Danny Deger

Old February 27th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Danny Deger" wrote

Here is the start of my book on my life as a fighter pilot, engineer,
astronaut instructor, and involuntary lockup in a psych ward. Tell me
what you think.

First, try to take this all as my attempt at constructive criticisim, and
not flaming, in any way.

Be carefull, that your writing is not so "lingo correct" that the only
ones that can read it are people that are in the field. That would limit
your audience, quite a bit. g

Thanks for the feedback, I agree. It turns out this opening sequence is
full of lingo, but I find the next several pages slacking off a lot. I
think this might be OK in the long run. Time will tell.

My goal was and is a strong opening followed by a story told at a more
modest pace.

Danny Deger

snip

Old February 27th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

On Feb 26, 10:34 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

ups.com...

Please provide the URL, Danny

What URL are you refering to.

Danny Deger

I had not found the story, Danny, can you direct me to it? I'm very
interesteed in your experience since I also have what I'm hoping is a
good story in process.

Old February 27th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

"Morgans" wrote in message
Be carefull, that your writing is not so "lingo correct" that the only
ones that can read it are people that are in the field. That would limit
your audience, quite a bit. g

Thanks for the feedback, I agree. It turns out this opening sequence is
full of lingo, but I find the next several pages slacking off a lot. I
think this might be OK in the long run. Time will tell.

My goal was and is a strong opening followed by a story told at a more
modest pace.

I agree with both of you - you can have too much lingo and confuse people,
but you need enough to give us a "you are there" sensation. It has to
feel real, and you do that by talking across to us rather than down, but
not using terminology we don't know.

Ed Raismus who posts mostly in rec.aviation.military wrote a couple of
books about his Viet Nam experiences - I read the first one, and I'm going
to be ordering the second one because he does a really good job of
striking the right balance.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Many of the places I've worked had RAID 666. If a disk crashed,

Another Story Michelle P Piloting 8 September 28th 05 02:13 PM
Anybody know the story behind this? Paul Tomblin Piloting 7 January 4th 04 07:58 PM
another "either you are with us ..." story Jeff Franks Piloting 2 December 31st 03 12:04 AM
WW2 Story Mike Marron Military Aviation 2 September 15th 03 05:45 PM
WW2 Story Mike Marron Military Aviation 1 September 1st 03 10:25 PM