Hurricane Wilma Damages

Old October 28th 05, 01:01 AM
Marty from Florida

Default Hurricane Wilma Damages

It's Marty again from Wonderful Palm Beach Florida.

My Cessna was destroyed on Sunday by Hurricane Wilma, and I'm heart-broken.
I've uploaded some photos of Lantana Airport, with 3 images of my ex-pride
and joy.

www.worth.net/lantana

Updates to come.
ps. If anyone has a Cessna they're not using much ...

Old October 28th 05, 01:25 AM
John Clonts

"Marty from Florida" marty@-x-x-x- remove -x-x- worth.net wrote in message
.. .
It's Marty again from Wonderful Palm Beach Florida.

My Cessna was destroyed on Sunday by Hurricane Wilma, and I'm heart-broken.
I've uploaded some photos of Lantana Airport, with 3 images of my ex-pride
and joy.

www.worth.net/lantana

Wow, that is really sad!

Old October 28th 05, 01:42 AM
tony roberts

Hi Marty

Very very sorry to hear that.
Let's hope that the insurance doesn't give you too much grief, so you
can at least start again. That is really lousy news,

Best wishes

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,

Old October 28th 05, 02:08 AM
John Doe

Sorry for your loss, but why didn't you move it?

I sure wouldn't let my plane sit there and risk it.

Old October 28th 05, 02:18 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "John Doe" said:
Sorry for your loss, but why didn't you move it?

I sure wouldn't let my plane sit there and risk it.

We've been through this already. You get what, 3 or 4 days notice that a
hurricane is coming. In that time, you've got to face huge lineups at the
stores to get plywood, tarps, water, canned goods, and other stuff. Then
you've got to nail up the plywood and tarps to protect your house. Then
you've got to drive you and your family out of the danger area. At that
point, even if you had time to come back to the danger area to get the
plane, would you? The conditions are getting dangerous, and even the act
of returning is placing your life in danger, never mind trying to fly out
again.

It's stupid to put your life at risk to protect things. Things can be
replaced, your life can't.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Hardware, n.:
Old October 28th 05, 02:31 AM
nrp

Did the ramp tiedown anchors or lines fail? Were any of the tie down
rings in the aircraft broken or pulled out? Were all 4 tie down rings
used (for that matter are there that many in your 152?)

Obviously a lot of damage was due to loose aircraft blowing around and
into each other, but the number that ended up inverted is staggering.

Assuming many A/C took a major storm wind blast from the front as well
as the rear, might exterior wood clamping systems on the control
surface have helped? There have to be some lessons here.

It is terrible to have to tie an airplane down outside. Really sorry
for your loss.

Old October 28th 05, 03:49 AM
Marty from Florida

I originally planned on taking the plane north to Georgia, with a departure
on Friday, Oct. 21st. On Thursday the 20th, the storm had stalled and was
weakening over Mexico, with a possible landfall someone near my front
driveway at 2:00pm on Monday. Saturday the storm broke into the Gulf, and
NWS predicted it would weaken, arriving on Florida's west coast as a CAT one
hurricane. This normally means as it moves over land to our shores, it would
slow to a tropical storm. It didn't. The storm surge came in Sunday morning,
and by 11:00am the eye was over my kitchen. No wind, almost sunny. 30
minutes later, the backside of the storm rolled over, with an enormous
force. At least we don't get earthquakes (yet).

In terms of tie downs, I have one under each wing and at the tail. I used
nylon strap similar to seat belt material, and doubled up with nylon boat
rope. The wind was strong enough to tear all six straps. Never seen this
before. The entire field at Lantana was smashed.

oups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 03:58 AM
Don Poitras

nrp wrote:
Did the ramp tiedown anchors or lines fail? Were any of the tie down
rings in the aircraft broken or pulled out? Were all 4 tie down rings
used (for that matter are there that many in your 152?)

Obviously a lot of damage was due to loose aircraft blowing around and
into each other, but the number that ended up inverted is staggering.

Assuming many A/C took a major storm wind blast from the front as well
as the rear, might exterior wood clamping systems on the control
surface have helped? There have to be some lessons here.

It is terrible to have to tie an airplane down outside. Really sorry
for your loss.

Doesn't look like some of the planes in hangers did much better...

Old October 28th 05, 04:02 AM
Skyhawk54

John Doe wrote:
Sorry for your loss, but why didn't you move it?

I sure wouldn't let my plane sit there and risk it.

I agree, I wouldn't let mine to sit there and get destroyed either, to
me that is just being negligent. I would figure out someway of moving
it regardless.

Old October 28th 05, 04:41 AM
john smith

In terms of tie downs, I have one under each wing and at the tail. I used
nylon strap similar to seat belt material, and doubled up with nylon boat
rope. The wind was strong enough to tear all six straps. Never seen this
before. The entire field at Lantana was smashed.

There has to be better tiedown material than nylon.
It elongates 20%-30%. Not good when you want to keep something in place.

Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Owning 67 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Piloting 66 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Hurricane Dennis cont'd Dan Luke Owning 33 July 19th 05 04:45 AM
Hurricane AllanStern Military Aviation 1 September 16th 04 06:42 PM
Willie McKnight's Hurricane - Photos? Steve Hill Restoration 0 November 21st 03 04:56 AM