EGT / Tach Fluctuation

Old August 27th 05, 11:22 PM

Default EGT / Tach Fluctuation

I am stumped as to what could be causing thing and am hoping someone
here can help me out.

A couple of flights ago I noticed that my EGT gauge started
fluctuating. Not fast but up and down a couple needle widths every
second or two. Then on the next flight I noticed that the tach has
started as well. Up and down 25 rpm or so.

I just had a cylinder overhauled about a hundred hours ago and I do
have have a much larger drop in the right mag that I need to clear to
get to normal on each flight.

My mechanic looked at my plugs last week and cleaned one he said that
had oil on it from the overhauled cylinder. I took it flying today to
see if that cleared the problem but it is still there.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Old August 28th 05, 06:13 AM
Mike Noel

I would guess that one plug in the cylinder with the EGT fluctuation is
failing to fire and causing the EGT to jump when only the other fires. This
would also cause a slight loss of power as some of the still burning gasses
exit through the exhaust port for the affected cylinder. Perhaps this is
because the rings are still not seated well and oil is getting onto the
bottom plug for the new cylinder. If this is the case then it may go away
as the rings seat.

oups.com...

Old August 28th 05, 04:57 PM

That is what I was thinking as well. Thanks.

Old August 29th 05, 04:58 PM
Jim Burns

Interesting!
The left CHT gauge on our Aztec started acting the same way. It hangs down
around 250 - 300 degrees and just kind of bounces around never indicating a
steady temperature. Normally they both run around 380 and the needles are
rock solid. Both engines have the standard single probe.

Recently, I changed spark plugs on the left engine and noted that we would
soon be needing new harnesses. Some of the wires were getting a little
frayed near the plug connectors. If one of the wires is shot, could a non
firing plug on the cylinder that the probe is installed in also cause the
symptoms that I am seeing on our CHT?

Run ups are good, no missing or roughness noticed.

Jim Burns

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am stumped as to what could be causing thing and am hoping someone
here can help me out.

A couple of flights ago I noticed that my EGT gauge started
fluctuating. Not fast but up and down a couple needle widths every
second or two. Then on the next flight I noticed that the tach has
started as well. Up and down 25 rpm or so.

I just had a cylinder overhauled about a hundred hours ago and I do
have have a much larger drop in the right mag that I need to clear to
get to normal on each flight.

My mechanic looked at my plugs last week and cleaned one he said that
had oil on it from the overhauled cylinder. I took it flying today to
see if that cleared the problem but it is still there.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Mechanical tach failure? Rich S. Home Built 25 November 6th 04 04:30 PM
Tachometer or Tach Cable Rich Owning 14 October 14th 04 02:54 AM
Analog tach replacement Mike Noel Owning 12 July 20th 04 10:20 PM
Logging Time Consistently - Hobbs AND Tach Carl Orton Piloting 11 June 29th 04 09:52 PM
Tach Vs. Hobbs Time John Roncallo Owning 33 January 7th 04 01:42 AM