Anyone doing a recovering project?

Old October 9th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Lou

Default Anyone doing a recovering project?

I'm looking for a piece of used fabric. As strange as this
may sound, I want to study it. If anyone has a piece from
14"x14" to 16x16 (or there abouts) could you contact me?
I'm curious about how this stuff works.
Lou
Old October 10th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Mike

"Lou" wrote in message
I'm looking for a piece of used fabric. As strange as this
may sound, I want to study it. If anyone has a piece from
14"x14" to 16x16 (or there abouts) could you contact me?
I'm curious about how this stuff works.
Lou

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh. I think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Old October 10th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Lou

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh. I think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
Lou
Old October 10th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:29:15 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh. I think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
Lou

I can post you an envelope sized 50 year old piece of grade A cotton
and dope aircraft fabric off my Auster.

postal address?

Stealth Pilot
Old October 10th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Mike

"Lou" wrote in message

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from
time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh. I
think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
Lou

If that's the case, then you should still check with your local EAA chapter.
There will almost certainly be one or more members with some left over
material.

Old October 11th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

wrote:

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh. I think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
Lou

I can post you an envelope sized 50 year old piece of grade A cotton
and dope aircraft fabric off my Auster.

postal address?

Stealth Pilot

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think cotton is what I'm looking
for.
Lou
Old October 11th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Lou

On Oct 10, 9:28 am, "Mike" nospam@ microsoft.com wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from
time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh. I
think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
Lou

If that's the case, then you should still check with your local EAA chapter.
There will almost certainly be one or more members with some left over
material.

I have, It seems that nobody is recovering these days.
Lou
Old October 12th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

wrote:

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh. I think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
Lou

I can post you an envelope sized 50 year old piece of grade A cotton
and dope aircraft fabric off my Auster.

postal address?

Stealth Pilot

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think cotton is what I'm looking
for.
Lou

if you ever saw it catch fire you'd be absolutely certain :-)
we used to light stumps with an 18 inch square piece of it rolled up
and stuffed under the stump. it never failed to light a stump it burns
so fiercely.

Stealth Pilot
Old October 12th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

"Lou" wrote in message

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from
time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh. I
think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
Lou

If that's the case, then you should still check with your local EAA chapter.
There will almost certainly be one or more members with some left over
material.

I have, It seems that nobody is recovering these days.
Lou

that is actually a common issue with Stits (polyfiber)
when I bought the tailwind I thought maybe 5 years and it would need
replacing.
9 years on I can discern no deterioration.

Stealth Pilot
Old October 12th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Dohm

"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

I haven't heard much about it lately, possibly because I haven't been
hanging around in the right places, but I can recall a lot of concern
expressed years ago about structural deterioration hidden under the newer
and more durable fabrics. As I recall, the theory was that the need to
recover was also an opportunity to thoroughly inspect the underlying
structure and the newer fabrics drastically extended the time interval. The
question was whether the extended time might be excessive...

Peter