Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Old March 6th 19, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Soartech wrote on 3/5/2019 3:47 PM:

There are scientific studies showing more than two diet drinks a day are linked to
some health issues, including strokes.

Very interesting, because I had a friend who sucked down about 6 diet Cokes a day. It made me very nervous to know he was doing that. Then he had a stroke at age 50! (Later died of cancer.) Coincidence?

No way to tell.

Old March 6th 19, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:47:48 PM UTC-8, Soartech wrote:
There are scientific studies showing more than two diet drinks a day are linked to
some health issues, including strokes.

Very interesting, because I had a friend who sucked down about 6 diet Cokes a day. It made me very nervous to know he was doing that. Then he had a stroke at age 50! (Later died of cancer.) Coincidence?

Correlation does not equal causation...
Old March 6th 19, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Correlation does not equal causation...

Yes we need a randomized double blind study to see if we really are more likely to find lift under big puffy clouds. Flying around with all these ideas of where lift is based on 'bro science' is barbaric and dimwitted
Old March 7th 19, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 4:33:15 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Correlation does not equal causation...

Yes we need a randomized double blind study to see if we really are more likely to find lift under big puffy clouds. Flying around with all these ideas of where lift is based on 'bro science' is barbaric and dimwitted

Interesting argument, considering that many of the first thermal soaring folks thought that the clouds sucked them up, rather than their being lifted by rising air emanating from the ground. Thoughtful observation and disciplined research seem to make the greatest advances.

But then again, I've always found that post-flight beer and BS yield great soaring insights.
Old March 7th 19, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

James Thurber's perspective:

"One martini is fine, two are too much, and three are not enough."

-Gary Osoba