Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

Old March 20th 19, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

Must be a lot of stupid pilots! uAvionix is backed up close to a month on skyBeacon orders.....
Old March 20th 19, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

.... around gliders. You have been here on r.a.s enough that if you do not understand the issues and context by now you never will.
Old March 20th 19, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 6:44:42 PM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:

skyBeacon is a pretty darn inexpensive and easy to implement way to make a tow plane 2020 compliant. I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of people don't go that route, even though it is UAT instead of 1090ES.

A big question is exactly how FLARM has suppressed the tow plane ADS-B alarms. Does FLARM recognize the fact that the tow plane and glider are in formation, and only suppress the alarm while the formation flight continues, or does it somehow completely suppress all alarms for the tow plane? You definitely would want to see tow plane alarms after the glider releases from the tow in the event that you accidentally get on a collision course with the tow plane after the completion of the tow.

Good question Mike.
If the towplane was FLARM equipped, it wouldn't be annoying as hell like ADS-B alone is - or possibly was before this update. We'll see.

Don't understand why there is the UAT crap. Nobody else uses it.

If both towplane and glider were just ADS-B equipped, what sort of alarms go off? Is ADS-B-in intelligent enough to suppress alarms for formation flying?

I've towed behind FLARM-only towplanes, there is no noise on tow.
Jim
Old March 20th 19, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 10:59:46 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Andy, I know of two mid airs between a tow plane and the glider it just released. One luckily just exchanged some paint, the other was fatal to both pilots. So I would hope and expect the suppression is only during the tow.

Ramy

If the fatal is the one I'm thinking of wasn't that on turn to final on a wave day? I'm thinking that would be long enough to reset even the most poorly designed algorithm. It's not like they're going to make a list of ICAO addresses that never ever get to be targets again. On the other hand, I could imagine some algorithms that might not alarm if you overrun the towplane while on tow or dive at the towplane immediately after release and never get much farther away than 200'. OTOH, maybe they handle that too. If they don't I'm fine and thankful for the quiet. I can keep an eye on the plane right in front of me.

We'll just have to see. Hopefully the algorithm mechanism and criteria for detecting an aircraft as towing you and the mechanism for removing them from 'your towplane' status will be in the release notes. The Flarm guys are clever so I bet they have thought through most scenarios.

Andy
Old March 20th 19, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Urban

A big question is exactly how FLARM has suppressed the tow plane ADS-B alarms. Does FLARM recognize the fact that the tow plane and glider are in formation, and only suppress the alarm while the formation flight continues, or does it somehow completely suppress all alarms for the tow plane? You definitely would want to see tow plane alarms after the glider releases from the tow in the event that you accidentally get on a collision course with the tow plane after the completion of the tow.

Fair question! The suppression works on the geometry of the formation, namely relative headings, relative velocities, relative positions (i.e. vertical and horizontal separation). As soon as the conditions no longer hold, you will get alarms as normal.

This is unchanged to how tow trains are handled in FLARM-FLARM situations. The difference is that for ADS-B targets, the device does not know it is a tow plane - ADS-B simply does not give you this kind of metadata - so the logic is applied to all ADS-B targets. As the geometric conditions are really tight, we believe this is acceptable and will not lead to false negatives..

We are interested to hear how well this works, please do send us feedback!

- Urban, FLARM

Old March 20th 19, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 11:46:10 PM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 6:44:42 PM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:

skyBeacon is a pretty darn inexpensive and easy to implement way to make a tow plane 2020 compliant. I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of people don't go that route, even though it is UAT instead of 1090ES.

That would be the stupidest thing in the world. "significant number".... bull****. There are very few towplanes anywhere that I know of that are planning to equip with ADS-B Out for 2020 compliance reasons. I'm not aware of any of them going UAT, I had one question asked months ago and that person went away understanding why to use 1090ES Out not UAT. I only hear about ADS-B Out installs that folks ask for help with, but by now I'd hope that enough people know to keep UAT away from PowerFLARM equipped gliders.

The stupidest thing in the world is that PowerFlarm doesn't support ADS-R or TIS-B. The fact of the matter is that UAT exists in the US and a significant number of GA aircraft are going to use this technology whether or not they are tow planes. We have 30+ gliders operating out of Stanton MN, within the MSP Mode C veil. At least half of the mid-air threats are not gliders, but other GA aircraft operating in our airspace. Not only do gliders need to be visible to this traffic, but they should also be equipped with real, US standards compliant ADS-B IN receivers (preferably dual frequency) so they can see all of the non-glider traffic in the area.
Old March 20th 19, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 8:43:50 AM UTC-5, Mike Schumann wrote:

The stupidest thing in the world is that PowerFlarm doesn't support ADS-R or TIS-B.

That was a mistake and as I understand it a long story. I hope they find a way to fix it, but the US is a tiny market. The only dumber mistake was the US deploying UAT instead of sunsetting Mode C transponders and adopting 1090ES exclusively like Europe. UAT causes innumerable problems in the airspace - as evidenced by this discussion. ADS-R is not a panacea either - you have to be within range of an ADS-B ground station.

We made a fork in the Stratux code to put out NMEA for glider instruments. It works but the mixing of all the different sources made de-duplicating targets quite challenging.

For goodness sake if you are going to put ADS-B in an aircraft that tows, put in 1090ES. There aren't going to be any UAT gliders out there and a tiny fraction of powered aircraft will have UAT - especially true if you fly any where near a commercial airport. If you're worried about the stray UAT target, get a dual-band receiver.

Thanks Urban for the clarification. Nature abhors a vacuum and then people tend to connect the dots in the most pathological way possible.

Andy Blackburn
PowerFLARM, Trig TT-22 with 1090ES Out
Old March 21st 19, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

You are back whining about stuff we all know about and we can't change. We live in an imperfect world with an imperfect technology. But as I've said before here, perfect is the enemy of good and the goal we all should have is to help reduce risks and improve safety.

To that point it would be incredibly stupid to be operating a UAT Out equipped towplane where there is a fleet of PowerFLARM equipped gliders. There is just no way to sugar coat that stupidity.

And again you are using examples of Stanton MN. Sounds like there are lots of traffic concerns there. If so some of the GA traffic risks should be able to be reduced today by equipping gliders and towplanes with transponders. If it is such a problem I would hope there is 100% transponder carriage.

Old March 21st 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Lot of people calling each other stupid on here....

I’ve installed a lot of different ADS-B out systems. If it was my personal power airplane I would put in an ESGi transponder. I was recently involved in a Trig ADS-B out transponder installation. It’s a very elegant solution for a glider.

If I was going to put an UAT system in it would probably be a GDL 82. The skyBeacon is quick, easy and cheap but I would worry about the impact of the lawsuit between Garmin and uAvionix.

A skyBeacon would be better then nothing in a tow plane. I’ve had more close calls with power planes while towing and flying gliders then with other gliders. Installed the skyBeacon is around $2,000 compared to the ESGi’s $5,000.

My experienced 2 cents
Old March 21st 19, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:01:06 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
Lot of people calling each other stupid on here....

I’ve installed a lot of different ADS-B out systems. If it was my personal power airplane I would put in an ESGi transponder. I was recently involved in a Trig ADS-B out transponder installation. It’s a very elegant solution for a glider.

If I was going to put an UAT system in it would probably be a GDL 82. The skyBeacon is quick, easy and cheap but I would worry about the impact of the lawsuit between Garmin and uAvionix.

A skyBeacon would be better then nothing in a tow plane. I’ve had more close calls with power planes while towing and flying gliders then with other gliders. Installed the skyBeacon is around $2,000 compared to the ESGi’s $5,000.

My experienced 2 cents

I have no idea where you fly gliders and how many of those are PowerFLARM equipped.

Please lets not paint the picture that it's a $2k vs $5k price difference for UAT vs 1090ES in a towplane. An Appareo Stratus ESG at ~$3k is a better comparison, including because you are comparing the price of a UAT Out only skyBeacon to a 1090ES Out/Dual-link In packaged ESGi.

Another good choice is Garmin GTX-335 ~$3k (with integral GPS option) or so plus install. Maybe better with support and service availability. Like the Stratus ESG, it is Mode S/1090ES Out with integral GPS. I am not sure how many tow pilots want ADS-B traffic-in or how many tow plane owners want to pay for that. One of Appareo's great service to GA has been pushing Garmin down on GTX-335 pricing. That extra $1k - $1.5k should not be a huge difference to go with the non-stupid for PowerFLARM compatibility option.

And it seem some towplanes in areas where ADS-B Out may be needed by them after January 1 2020, have aging mode C transponders (like crusty old KT76), so there is likely a benefit in those owners upgrading to a new transponder as part of any upgrade. To quantify that, a towplane owner could say upgrade to a more modern used GTX-330 Mode C transponder for ~$500-$1k or so. So in those cases a GTX-335 or ESG transponder for 1090ES Out and skyBeacon UAT Out effective cost likely gets close. And a Mode S+1090ES transponder in a towplane as part of an ADS-B Out upgrade is even nicer to have near high-density PowerFLARM operations to help avoid spurious Mode C PCAS alerts that Mode C equipped towplanes can cause.

Interesting comment on the lawsuit. I'm not a fan of the skyBeacon or Garmin headless setups, would prefer direct hardwired control of squawk and other settings and access to other controls on the panel. I wonder how skyBeacons are going to work in rental aircraft if somebody messes with the settings vis their iPhone and the next pilot renting it can't even see what stuff is set to. You naturally get better usability with integrated transponder solutions... but thats more a connivence not the main reason to go there.