Cataract

Old November 24th 03, 02:11 AM
Jules Beaudoin

Default Cataract

I am about to have a cataract removal/lens change. Do I have an obligation
to inform the FAA? What happens to my medical?

Old November 24th 03, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

I am about to have a cataract removal/lens change. Do I have an obligation
to inform the FAA? What happens to my medical?

Your obligation is not to fly if your vision is impaired. You can be
the judge of that, absent any specific rule covering eye surgery.
(There may be such; I don't know.)

You must note and explain all medical events in the past three years
when you apply for your next medical.

So at least is my understanding of the regs.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 24th 03, 03:50 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Cub Driver wrote:

So at least is my understanding of the regs.

This is also my understanding. As evidence, I present that some years back, I
had a couple of dizzy spells. I was diagnosed as having benign positional
vertigo. The diagnosis was made shortly after I had taken an FAA physical. I
stayed on the ground until the condition became stable, but I didn't report it
to the FAA until my next exam. At that time, I presented all my medical records
relating to the vertigo.

Aside from a three month delay while the OK City crew played lost&found with
my stack of paper, there were no repercussions.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned
no other way.
Old November 24th 03, 05:03 PM
Big John

Jules

Had surgery about 3 months ago and still can't get a pair of glasses I
can see out of. They are making the fourth set now. All my friends
have had no problem but guess bad things do happen. In my present
condition I have a hard time driving (use size instead of two eyed
depth perception) but would have to use a patch to cover the bad eye
(distortion) to fly like Wiley Post did.

Best of luck on your surgery and recovery.

Big John

Old November 25th 03, 01:43 AM
vincent p. norris

I am about to have a cataract removal/lens change. Do I have an obligation
to inform the FAA? What happens to my medical?

I had that surgery on both eyes (not the same day) several years ago,
and both eyes are now 20/20. I reported that to the FAA on my next
exam and have heard nothing about it.

vince norris
Old November 25th 03, 01:48 AM
Jules Beaudoin

Big John, I assume your surgery was catarack removal. My email is
, please keep me posted on your progress. You have me very
concerned at the moment.
Jules

Old November 25th 03, 04:50 AM
Big John

Jules

All my friends who have had the surgery came out ok. My wife had it
done 20 years ago (they used platinum thread to sew in). When she goes
to eye Doc for a check up all the new Docs get called to come look
because they never see that type of cataract surgery now. She sees
fine.

I'll know better after the appointment tomorrow and they dialate my
eyes again and measure. I have another set of glasses coming, probably
after Turkey day or early next week. By that time I'll know a little
more (I hope) .

My big problem is that I have cataract's in the other eye and some day
will have to have it operated on. I need at least to have one eye that
I can see out of.

Odds are you will have no problem. It's almost becoming as common as
getting your teeth cleaned. When finished I was held for an hour and
then let go home. Didn't feel any pain before, during or after the
surgery.

Best of luck

Big John

Old November 27th 03, 04:01 PM
Jules Beaudoin

Thanks John, Vincent and everyone for the feedback. Good info all around.
John, please update us on the final outcome.
Jules

Old November 27th 03, 11:36 PM
Big John

Jules

Some more trivia.

Got the third set of glasses and same as others. Feel like I am on an
ocean liner in a bad storm.

Playing around I found that if I press the glasses hard agaisnt my
forehead and nose I can see 'better'. Not best, but better. Will feed
this info to eye Doc Tuesday as another input.

Still wandering around one eyed. (

Big John