Tail dolly hazard

Old June 18th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Tail dolly hazard

The July issue of SSA Soaring magazine has a cover photo that shows at least 3 unattended gliders with the tail dolly left on. In Arizona you'd get an earfull for doing this as it puts any other glider within half a wing span at risk.

Maybe it doesn't matter at soaring sites where there are no thermals or wind gusts? Maybe it's only an issue if a wing wheel is being used?

Andy GY

Old June 18th 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

Andy,

Being our soaring encampment at Lake Placid... I agree with you 100%. Your typical ground crew not paying attention. BTW, it wasn't that windy but no real excuse. You can't find me in the photo because I already took the first tow up and out of there... Not able to yell at everyone. :

Tim Hanke
Adirondack Soaring

Old June 19th 14, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

I agree for most gliders, but the Genesis-2 tail dolly must remain on at all times while on the ground. If the tail dolly is removed the wing assumes a high angle of attack and a 5 knot wind will move the ship. My dolly has a built in lock that prevents rotation and I chock both wheels if I leave the ship unattended.
JJ
Old June 20th 14, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Thursday, 19 June 2014 14:14:15 UTC+1, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I agree for most gliders, but the Genesis-2 tail dolly must remain on at all times while on the ground. If the tail dolly is removed the wing assumes a high angle of attack and a 5 knot wind will move the ship. My dolly has a built in lock that prevents rotation and I chock both wheels if I leave the ship unattended.

JJ

My wing dolly has a parking brake, and is fairly heavy. With the parking brake applied the glider would be stable even with the tail dolly still on unless there was a substantial wind. That said, I do not leave the tail dolly on when the glider is unattended.

Tail dolly for 1-35? [email protected] Soaring 5 October 22nd 13 11:14 PM
LS4 tail dolly Leigh Soaring 0 May 30th 08 02:02 AM
FS: ASW-24 Tail Dolly [email protected] Soaring 0 December 26th 06 03:40 PM
WTB: used tail dolly David Campbell Soaring 5 April 17th 06 03:19 PM
L-23 tail dolly Mark Zivley Soaring 1 November 27th 04 12:16 PM