A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tail dolly hazard

Old June 18th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Tail dolly hazard

The July issue of SSA Soaring magazine has a cover photo that shows at least 3 unattended gliders with the tail dolly left on. In Arizona you'd get an earfull for doing this as it puts any other glider within half a wing span at risk.

Maybe it doesn't matter at soaring sites where there are no thermals or wind gusts? Maybe it's only an issue if a wing wheel is being used?

Andy GY

Old June 18th 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke
external usenet poster

Andy,

Being our soaring encampment at Lake Placid... I agree with you 100%. Your typical ground crew not paying attention. BTW, it wasn't that windy but no real excuse. You can't find me in the photo because I already took the first tow up and out of there... Not able to yell at everyone. :

Tim Hanke
Adirondack Soaring

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:36:24 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
The July issue of SSA Soaring magazine has a cover photo that shows at least 3 unattended gliders with the tail dolly left on. In Arizona you'd get an earfull for doing this as it puts any other glider within half a wing span at risk.

Maybe it doesn't matter at soaring sites where there are no thermals or wind gusts? Maybe it's only an issue if a wing wheel is being used?

Andy GY

Old June 19th 14, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

I agree for most gliders, but the Genesis-2 tail dolly must remain on at all times while on the ground. If the tail dolly is removed the wing assumes a high angle of attack and a 5 knot wind will move the ship. My dolly has a built in lock that prevents rotation and I chock both wheels if I leave the ship unattended.
JJ
Old June 20th 14, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 19 June 2014 14:14:15 UTC+1, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I agree for most gliders, but the Genesis-2 tail dolly must remain on at all times while on the ground. If the tail dolly is removed the wing assumes a high angle of attack and a 5 knot wind will move the ship. My dolly has a built in lock that prevents rotation and I chock both wheels if I leave the ship unattended.

JJ

My wing dolly has a parking brake, and is fairly heavy. With the parking brake applied the glider would be stable even with the tail dolly still on unless there was a substantial wind. That said, I do not leave the tail dolly on when the glider is unattended.