A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Looking for feedback on Beringer Wheel and Disc Brake Kit for LS Gliders

Old March 5th 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Looking for feedback on Beringer Wheel and Disc Brake Kit for LS Gliders

Beringer sells a wheel/disc brake kit for the LS4, and I have received a copy of the installation and maintenance manual from their U.S. sales group.

I'm looking into whether this kit can additionally be installed in my LS7. I would appreciate any feedback others may have on installing this kit, either in the LS4 or in later LS models.

Thank you in advance,

Jordan
Old March 5th 19, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Looking for feedback on Beringer Wheel and Disc Brake Kit for LS Gliders

I am not aware of a Beringer kit, but Tost just recently released a disc brake retrofit kit for LS4/6/7/8: https://www.tost.de/news/?lang=en. In this arrangement, the master cylinder is mounted under the seatpan.

Christoph
Old March 5th 19, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I would not have a tubeless tyre Beringer wheel and brake kit again. It looks very nice and the brake works well but to change a damaged or worn tyre requires having a special tyre compression tool, a new set of O-rings, an expensive tubeless tyre, an available set of instructions, and several working hours. Have those ready in advance (or have a spare wheel and tyre assembly made up as some owners do for contests) or you will be grounded until you get them if a tyre is damaged.
Old March 5th 19, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Le mardi 5 mars 2019 09:07:30 UTC+1, a Ă©critÂ*:
I would not have a tubeless tyre Beringer wheel and brake kit again. It looks very nice and the brake works well but to change a damaged or worn tyre requires having a special tyre compression tool, a new set of O-rings, an expensive tubeless tyre, an available set of instructions, and several working hours. Have those ready in advance (or have a spare wheel and tyre assembly made up as some owners do for contests) or you will be grounded until you get them if a tyre is damaged.

The tubelss thing was exactly what had me worrying enough to go for a Tost Penta system for my Ventus. On top of this, the Tost system is about 25% cheaper than the BĂ©ringer system.

Bert TW
Old March 5th 19, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

I would love to see where you got the TOST cheaper. Last I checked it was twice the price of the Berlinger for my Ventus 2a.
Old March 5th 19, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

These days I install Matco wheels and brakes in all my gliders. Though slightly heavier than the Berringer, it is just as effective under real world conditions and more robust and easier to service.

--Bob K.
Old March 6th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]
external usenet poster

I installed Beringer wheels & brakes on a light sport airplane several years ago and they have performed flawlessly. The tubeless tires are a concern but you just need to be prepared with what you need to change a tire.

Old March 6th 19, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Ilve bought it fromage Tost. The set (excluding the tire) was around €1500, Béringer had quoted around €2000.

Bert TW
Old March 6th 19, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

My Beringer wheel also performed flawlessly throughout my time of ownership but it only dawned on me when I was already with the glider on a long gliding holiday in South Africa that if I damaged the tyre I would be grounded until I could source the necessary parts. Stupidly I had not figured that out in advance even after having helped a friend to change the tyre on his Beringer wheel which was a real fiddle.

For the next trip I was prepared with the tyre compression tool, a new tubeless Michelin tyre, and the O-rings kit (and a print out of the instructions).