looking for mpeg of deadstick landing

Old February 16th 05, 04:44 PM
Brad Zeigler

Default looking for mpeg of deadstick landing

"Mitchell Holman" wrote in message
"Tim Gilbert" wrote in
:

I'm putting together a presentation on "aviation enlightenment" that our
pilots group will present to home owner associations near our airport.
I'd like to find a mpeg of someone doing a deadstick landing to help
debunk the myth that airplanes fall out of the sky if the engine quits.
Anybody have one they can share?

thanks,

Tim

You might remind them that all of the space
shuttle landings are deadstick.

Especially the last one. Bad example.

Old February 16th 05, 05:24 PM
Stefan

Brad Zeigler wrote:

I'd like to find a mpeg of someone doing a deadstick landing to help
debunk the myth that airplanes fall out of the sky if the engine quits.

All gliders are usually landed "dead stick". You'll find a lot of glider
videos at

http://www.alpenstreckenflug.de/text...flugvideos.htm

BTW, you might remember them that the world distance record in a glider
is actually 3000,8 km.

Stefan
Old February 16th 05, 05:56 PM
gatt

"Brad Zeigler" wrote in message

Perhaps a Bob Hoover video making a precision deadstick landing in a

shrike
would be suitable.

Suitable or not, let's see it! :

Old February 16th 05, 08:14 PM
PVK

Mitchell, you were/are a regular contributor to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Do you know what's happened to that newgroup ? BT Internet seems to have
lost it ( British Telecom ).

Thanks for any info you can give us.

Paul

Old February 16th 05, 08:28 PM
Glenn Jacobs

From: "PVK"
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.multimedia.aviation,rec.aviation.pilo ting
Subject: FAO Mr. Holman
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:14:38 +0000 (UTC)

Mitchell, you were/are a regular contributor to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Do you know what's happened to that newgroup ? BT Internet seems to have
lost it ( British Telecom ).

Thanks for any info you can give us.

Paul

My ISP, Starband, still has it and it is still updated, I would suggest you
contact your ISP or whatever organization handles your news groups and ask
them to put it back on.

Jake

Old February 16th 05, 10:48 PM
Maule Driver

Stefan wrote:
I'd like to find a mpeg of someone doing a deadstick landing to help
debunk the myth that airplanes fall out of the sky if the engine quits.

All gliders are usually landed "dead stick".

but there's no "stick"

BTW, you might remember them that the world distance record in a glider
is actually 3000,8 km.

yeah, but they still landed silently. Glider landings aren't news....
glider touch and go's are. Wish I had some MPEGs of that!
Old February 17th 05, 01:05 AM
RST Engineering

No they aren't. My CFIG instructor was an absolute genius in the aircraft.
After all the activity died down late on a Sunday night, he'd take me up for
one last flight. We'd come SCREAMING down final near to redline, touch it,
pull up, do a reversement, touch it again, pull up, do a reversement and
land.

I've never had the intestinal fortitude to show a student more than one,
much less two.

Jim

Old February 17th 05, 03:51 AM
Mitchell Holman

"PVK" wrote in news:cv062u$aec$1
@titan.btinternet.com:

Mitchell, you were/are a regular contributor to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Do you know what's happened to that newgroup ? BT Internet seems to have
lost it ( British Telecom ).

Thanks for any info you can give us.

A lot of ISP's are "trimming" or
outsourcing entirely their Usenet
services. I was forced to switch to
a pay service (giganews) which still
has it.

I agree with your intention - it's about
the best binaries group there is. Solid
content, no spam, no flamefests. I post to
it regularly.