SAFE Winch Launching

Old August 2nd 17, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TND

Default SAFE Winch Launching

Lucas three position headlamp switch: Off / Dim / Flicker

--

------------------------------
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
Old August 2nd 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hey, now, wait a minute! I had a BSA motorcycle and an MGB and their
electric systems were... Oh, never mind...

On 8/1/2017 6:53 PM, tnd wrote:
Lucas three position headlamp switch: Off / Dim / Flicker

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 2nd 17, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

LOL.......then you also had the "positive ground" systems. I knew someone in the 80's that fried a couple battery chargers because they hooked them up backwards.
How they didn't blow a battery up I have no clue.

Wait, this is a soaring forum, how the heck did we segue to Lucas stuff?............
;-)
Old August 2nd 17, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 12:28:08 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
LOL.......then you also had the "positive ground" systems. I knew someone in the 80's that fried a couple battery chargers because they hooked them up backwards.
How they didn't blow a battery up I have no clue.

Wait, this is a soaring forum, how the heck did we segue to Lucas stuff?............
;-)

Everybody sing along now, it's the Lucas Song...

Glory, glory Prince of Darkness,
His parts don't work no more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwHBXQjaCrw

Buddy of mine arrived at the airport on Sunday in a TR-6. Whoa, says I, last time I rode in one of those (1987) it caught on fire!

T8
Old August 2nd 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Wait, this is a soaring forum, how the heck did we segue to Lucas
stuff?............ ;-)

Buddy of mine arrived at the airport on Sunday in a TR-6. Whoa, says I,
last time I rode in one of those (1987) it caught on fire!

College buddy of mine had a TR-4 for about a year. When it ran it was great
fun, those times it ran w/o drama...which didn't include the time smoke &
flames shot from the steering column while he was merging onto a
heavily-traveled 4-lane interstate, and another time a rear wire wheel
overtook the car (fortunately, at slow speed in a housing development).
Funnily enough, the steering column short "cured itself" after a short,
ignition-off, head-scratching/recovery spell on the shoulder; no previously
extant electrical gremlins ever subsequently noted! Ah, the good-ol' days of
cotton-insulated wiring (already brittle by 1972!).

And, yes, he was reluctant to drive it at night...

Unfortunately, he never took up soaring.

Bob W.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old August 2nd 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 1:30:49 PM UTC-4, Bob Whelan wrote:
[...]

While I was in highschool, a friend's dad bought a beat up 1964 TR-4a to tinker with. Us kids learned quite a lot on that old heap. Even at 15 I was impressed by the (Lucas, of course) fusebox on the inside fender well: two big ass 25 amp fuses, open to the elements. One for headlights. One for everything else.

By the time we could keep that thing running, we were pretty good shade tree mechanics!

T8

Winch Launching in US john hawkins Soaring 11 June 10th 09 12:18 PM
Winch Launching Rolf Soaring 27 January 7th 09 03:48 AM
Ka8b winch launching Jimmie L. Coulthard Soaring 11 September 9th 08 08:38 AM
Aerotow Fuel Costs & Winch Launching Derek Copeland[_2_] Soaring 2 May 26th 08 03:14 PM
LIppmann reports a 950 meter winch launch with their Dynatec winch line - anything higher? Bill Daniels Soaring 20 December 27th 04 01:33 AM