Riding vs Flying -- How many here ride?

Old July 4th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default Riding vs Flying -- How many here ride?

"Matt Barrow" wrote in news:Ypuqg.5$Oi3.522
@news.uswest.net:

"Skywise" wrote in message

Snipola

I have no problem with making a profit, even getting rich.
I do have a problem with taking it to such an extreme that
it hurts people.

Your logic chain here is....well, weird!

Let's reverse this then. Are you saying it's ok to make such
an excessive profit if people get hurt by it? By hurt, I mean
economically, as in not making enough money to live on, or
being unable to afford basic needs.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old July 4th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

You snipped out the important part of my post in your reply.
Here it is again,

"If some rich mutha'****a would only make 50 million
instead of 100 million, it won't get done."

So back to my question - is there an arbitrary amount of money beyond
which it is greed? Who decided that amount?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 5th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

You snipped out the important part of my post in your reply.
Here it is again,

"If some rich mutha'****a would only make 50 million
instead of 100 million, it won't get done."

So back to my question - is there an arbitrary amount of money beyond
which it is greed? Who decided that amount?

If you have more than me, then you are greedy. I decided that. :-)

Matt
Old July 5th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Chris Ehlbeck wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

John Gaquin wrote:

"Skywise" wrote in message

Another favorite tactic is white lining. In a perfect
scenario I white line to the front while everyone is stopped
at a red light. ........The upshot is that
I am only near other vehicles when they aren't moving.

And every time you pull that sort of stunt, you leave in your wake 50-100
car drivers highly ****ed at the next motorcycles they encounter. That's
high school crap, and has no place in the repertoire of a responsible
driver.

Baloney. It is simply a good idea that hasn't yet come to fruition in
many places in the US. Encouraging motorcycle riding by allowing lane
splitting is at least as good an idea as having bus and car pool lanes.
People should be rewarded for saving fuel, especially when it doesn't harm
others. Allowing motorcycles to lane split doesn't really have any
significant adverse impact on the cars stuck in the line so what is the
harm assuming it is done prudently and safely? I'm not talking about
riding 60 MPH between a closely spaced line of cars, but most interstates
provide at least 6' between cars and that is plenty for a motorcyle to
ride in at 15-20 MPH.

Matt

A large part of the motoring public seems to disengage their brain when the
engage the transmission of their car.

I spent a number of years as a motor officer and I hated white lining with a
passion. Even in stopped traffic and moving slowly between the lanes was
and is dangerous. First, many people see but don't register a motorcycle.
There were too many times when the second traffic moved a bit someone would
try and change lanes. They'd even look over and see the gap as traffic
moved but not see that Harley with the flashing blue strobes and pulsing
headlight! So the guy on the sport bike wouldn't stand a chance.

That is a different problem and doesn't change the validity of the
technique. It seems to work fine in at least some parts of Europe. If
we had decent driver training in this country, including periodic
recurrent training and recertification, much of this problem could be
addressed.

Matt
Old July 5th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Jose wrote in news:ClCqg.34018$VE1.27273
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

You snipped out the important part of my post in your reply.
Here it is again,

"If some rich mutha'****a would only make 50 million
instead of 100 million, it won't get done."

So back to my question - is there an arbitrary amount of money beyond
which it is greed?

No specific value. It's not that simple. Perhaps too complex to
be worth continuing this discussion.

Who decided that amount?

Society.

Old July 5th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

"Chris Ehlbeck" wrote in
:

Snipola
A large part of the motoring public seems to disengage their brain when
the engage the transmission of their car.

I spent a number of years as a motor officer and I hated white lining
with a passion. Even in stopped traffic and moving slowly between the
lanes was and is dangerous.

How it is dangerous? Except maybe from someone opening a door or
throwing trash out the window? Even then, it's far less dangerous
than being at speed and having some idiot changin lanes into you
because they're too busy on the cell phone.

First, many people see but don't register a motorcycle.
There were too many times when the second traffic moved a bit someone
would try and change lanes.

Which is why, as I stated in MY FIRST POST on this, that ideally
I do this when the traffic is NOT moving, thus removing the
danger of someone changing lanes. Kinda hard to change lanes
when the spedometer reads 0 mph.

And also stated previously, I pay attention to the traffic
situation. If I am not at elast 90% certain that I can get to
the front BEFORE the light turns green, I stay behind.

They'd even look over and see the gap as traffic
moved but not see that Harley with the flashing blue strobes and pulsing
headlight! So the guy on the sport bike wouldn't stand a chance.

If that driver doesn't see a cop that's lit up, that driver
should not be on the road. I presume you pulled them over and
ticketed them? If not, then you just reinforced they're belief
(even if subconscious) that they can be bad drivers and get
away with it.

Hell. It doesn't matter. I've seen people do bad **** right in
front of a cop and the cop does nothing. I've even seen cops
do some pretty bad driving. On occasion, I've subsequently
confronted them about it.

Old July 5th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Matt Whiting wrote in news:xYEqg.246$Pa.29561
@news1.epix.net:

Snipola
That is a different problem and doesn't change the validity of the
technique. It seems to work fine in at least some parts of Europe. If
we had decent driver training in this country, including periodic
recurrent training and recertification, much of this problem could be
addressed.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Driver education in this country is a farce.
I like some of the things they do in Europe re driver
training and bad drivers.

For one, I like the idea that a ticket's fine is commensurate
upon the recipients income. A $300 ticket to someone who
makes minimum wage is a big deal. To someone who makes 100k
a year, so what? Hit them in the pocket book and they'll
'get it'.

Old July 5th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Who decided that amount?

Society.

You mean, the part of society that is not greedy?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 5th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

Who decided that amount?

Society.

You mean, the part of society that is not greedy?

Ha, ha, ha... Good one!

Matt
Old July 5th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
ups.com...

Flyingmonk wrote:

I now only have a basket case ( I took it apart years ago with the
intention of totally rebuilding it) 197? 750cc Suzuki two stroke
(shoiuld be very fast vintage cafe racer).

Errr... Make that 500ccSuzuki two stroke. A T500 or a GT 500 Haven't
been in the garage in awhile.

Bryan

What did you misplace 250cc when you took it apart?