A Google Groups alternative to rec.aviation.piloting?

Old August 17th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default A Google Groups alternative to rec.aviation.piloting?

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:db865cf9-883d-
:

On Aug 17, 6:07 am, wrote:
On Aug 16, 6:08 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

On Aug 16, 2:27 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

Ken S. Tucker writes:
Ok, have you ever been in a sail boat?

No.

Well you must try it.
Your doing a tack with the sail fully stable suckin'
energy from the wind, cuttin' water and bouncin'
waves off the starboards, that's the sound you hear.

Next, you reverse tact and the sail flutters (stalls)
until re-acquistion of stability going in nearly the
opposite direction and you're still heading into the
wind, so the net motion is into the wind. Every pilot
should do that. I was on trapeze, with a good fat old
captain on the til, and me being a skinny lively bitch
loved jumped to either side of the boat, pulling the
sail to max the energy out of the wind.
Regards
Ken
PS: Read about it.

On our boat we put the crew to the windward side to keep the mast

more
vertical. We adjust the sail by pulling on the correct strings, and
it depends on the tack as to which is the lee rail going awash.

As for stalling a sail -- on a beat there's lots of flow separation

on
the low pressure side of the sail, but it continues to drive the

boat.
The luffing at the trailing edge just means there's marginal flow
separation there, not at the leading edge. If you want to really see

sail stall, do a jibe, not a come about. If you don't duck you'll
learn soon enough why the part sweeping across the cockpit is called

boom.

I have no problem with the boom, I have a thick skull :-).
Best time, we had was in a 10-20 knot wind, I was on
trapeze, fairly small lake with white caps, 2 maybe 3
person boat, hot day with a stiff breeze, getting soaked
with splash, and slippery with wet shoes. I slipped a bit
but with sober adrenaline I recovered fast, whata rush.

Is there anything you know anything about?

Anythign at all?

Bertie

Old August 17th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

God I love usenet.

Bertie

Liar. You're just here to **** and poison.

Old August 17th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I may actually try creating a Google Groups piloting group as a
final experiment.

No offense (honest), but why would I want you as my moderator? I don't
even know you, and your unsolicited offer to appoint yourself does nothing
to give me confidence.

Vaughn

If you stay here, it's moderated by Bertie, Dudley and their ilk. At least
Jim is an agreeable fellow with humble motives.

Old August 17th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:5_0qk.18821$Bt6.15015
@newsfe04.iad:

God I love usenet.

Bertie

Liar. You're just here to **** and poison.

Snort!

God I love k00ks

Bertie
Old August 17th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
:

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I may actually try creating a Google Groups piloting group as a
final experiment.

No offense (honest), but why would I want you as my moderator? I
don't
even know you, and your unsolicited offer to appoint yourself does
nothing to give me confidence.

Vaughn

If you stay here, it's moderated by Bertie, Dudley and their ilk. At
least Jim is an agreeable fellow with humble motives.

Wow, you're like Batman, or something, aintcha?

Bertie
Old August 17th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:5_0qk.18821$Bt6.15015
@newsfe04.iad:

God I love usenet.

Bertie

Liar. You're just here to **** and poison.

Snort!

God I love k00ks

Bertie

You must, you try hard enough to be one.

Old August 17th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Maxie's back!

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:A41qk.18827$Bt6.4971
@newsfe04.iad:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:5_0qk.18821$Bt6.15015
@newsfe04.iad:

God I love usenet.

Bertie

Liar. You're just here to **** and poison.

Snort!

God I love k00ks

Bertie

You must, you try hard enough to be one.

But alas, I see the competition and become so disheartened....

Bertie
Old August 17th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
CovvTseTung

In article , Bertie the
Bunyip says...

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
:

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I may actually try creating a Google Groups piloting group as a
final experiment.

No offense (honest), but why would I want you as my moderator? I
don't
even know you, and your unsolicited offer to appoint yourself does
nothing to give me confidence.

Vaughn

If you stay here, it's moderated by Bertie, Dudley and their ilk. At
least Jim is an agreeable fellow with humble motives.

Wow, you're like Batman, or something, aintcha?

The question, is, what does the 'Maxwell light' look like?

A worm?

--

"Tis an ill wind that blows no minds"
Old August 17th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

CovvTseTung wrote in
:

In article , Bertie the
Bunyip says...

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
:

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I may actually try creating a Google Groups piloting group as a
final experiment.

No offense (honest), but why would I want you as my moderator?

don't
even know you, and your unsolicited offer to appoint yourself does
nothing to give me confidence.

Vaughn

If you stay here, it's moderated by Bertie, Dudley and their ilk.

At
least Jim is an agreeable fellow with humble motives.

Wow, you're like Batman, or something, aintcha?

The question, is, what does the 'Maxwell light' look like?

A worm?

I think it looks like this... *

It's an asshole.

Bertie
Old August 17th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ken S. Tucker writes:
[...]

separation there, not at the leading edge. If you want to really see a
sail stall, do a jibe, not a come about. If you don't duck you'll
learn soon enough why the part sweeping across the cockpit is called a
boom.

I have no problem with the boom, I have a thick skull :-).
Best time, we had was in a 10-20 knot wind, I was on
trapeze, fairly small lake with white caps, 2 maybe 3
person boat, hot day with a stiff breeze, getting soaked
with splash, and slippery with wet shoes. I slipped a bit
but with sober adrenaline I recovered fast, whata rush.
Cheers
Ken

You're casting some doubts here. Boat shoes don't slip on wet
surfaces. If you got hit with our boom I'd be betting on the boom,
especially on a jibe. First rule on our boat is to get out of the way
on the commands "Ready about" or "Ready Jibe". Those are NOT
suggestions and are not negotiable. You want not to be saying "What
did you say?" on "Jibe ho" or "Hard Alee".

No traps on our boat, it's a cruiser, not a racer. It does cast a nice
shadow though. Come to think of it. some other people here probably
cast nice shadows, they are mostly two dimensional anyway.