NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 5th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

Jay Honeck has started one of the most interesting threads in a long
time. 0-160 comments in less then a day,, WOW. Reading all sides of the
issues is pretty damn entertaining and ya got to admit, We do live in a
great country and that first amendment thing is a wonderful thing too..

One can clearly see who is a union member, and who is not, thats for
sure..

Ok Jay, for your next assignment if you wish to accept is to start a
thread on politics or religion. This suggestion will self destruct in
20 seconds......

Ben.

Jay Beckman wrote:
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
EDS is Electronic Data Systems, Inc., the folks that do IT for GM.
They have a reputation in the industry for draconian labor practices
(as did Henry Ford):

Ross Perot is also the man who moved heaven and hell to get his people out
of Iran when the Shah was ousted...

As for Henry Ford, he may not have been as draconian as a lot of people
think. My maternal grandfather went to work for ol' Henry after graduating
from Ford's first industrial education program. I've been told by family
that any time Henry came down to the production floor, he would seek out my
grandfather, greeted him by name and would always inquire about his health
and happiness. It has also been said that Mr. Ford (in the early days)
maintained a fairly "open door policy" for his empoyees.

Perhaps once Ford Motor Company began it's exponential growth this practice
simply became untenable.

Jay B

Old September 5th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_4_]

wrote

Jay Honeck has started one of the most interesting threads in a long
time. 0-160 comments in less then a day,,

Interesting? Not to me.

Remember, also, that quantify is not equal to quality.
--
Jim in NC
Old September 5th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

I guess I've never figured out why, if an employee doesn't like the rules
he is subjected to, he just doesn't find something else to do. A union
certainly isn't the solution.

Some will do that. It will be the best and most experienced. Those that
remain will all be wearing pants. Do you think that is a net positive?

Old September 5th 06, 11:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

To prevent embarrassment, if nothing else. Some employees need more
guidance than others. In my years in the corporate world, on more
than one occasion "human resources" (or me) had to counsel employees
who were showing up for work inappropriately dressed. A codified
dress code removes the guess work, and most employees appreciate
knowing where they stand.

But the dress code affected all employees, not just those that need more
guidance.

Because I can. We're a relatively casual, getaway-weekend type hotel,
and it's hot when we're working on the grounds, or checking the pool.

So can the FAA. Why is it okay for your employees to look like bums but not
FAA employees?

I feel like I'm talking to my 16 year old son, but yes. If you've ever
heard "clothing makes the man", you'll understand what I mean. Looking
professional is the first step toward acting professional.

Why don't you require your employees to look professional?

Old September 5th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
" wrote:

One can clearly see who is a union member, and who is not, thats for
sure..

really?

Am I union or not?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 5th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

Good. Than it should be no big deal for controllers to accept a dress
code that they are apparently largely following.

Yet, that's not what is happening. Why?

Gee, you're right, why would anyone object to being forced to purchase
and wear uncomfortable clothing?

It appears your position is simply an extension of your bias against
government employees.

Old September 5th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Sometimes I work naked.

I will never interact with ATC again without seeing the controller
naked, in my mind's eye...

In the case of the lady controllers I met at Atlanta Center, this is a good
thing.

In the case of the guys I know at BFM tower, it is a very bad thing, indeed.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 5th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Gee, you're right, why would anyone object to being forced to purchase
and wear uncomfortable clothing?

It appears your position is simply an extension of your bias against
government employees.

No, my position is an extension of my disgust with arrogant employees
who, while being paid handsomely, can't seem to keep their mouths shut
and their minds on the job.

You guys are driving yourselves off a cliff, and you don't even see it
coming. What makes it so sad is that it's precisely the same cliff
that unions have driven off for the last 80 years.

Trouble is, with the seemingly inexorable drive toward privatizing ATC,
your untimely insubordination means that this time you're going to take
us all with you.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Interesting? Not to me.

Really? I find it fascinating.

Unfortunately, it's the same fascination that won't let you avert your
eyes when you're witnessing a train wreck. Controllers, by their
actions, have harmed GA's chances of avoiding privatization in ways
that no other single action could have accoplished. And we're all
going to pay for it.

All because they don't want to be "forced" to wear dockers and a nice
shirt to work.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck