Things to remember in very hot weather

Old July 1st 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

I didn't qualify the term, so I mean most people in the world. Someone

who
always flies in moderate weather might easily forget the special

precautions
that must be taken in extremely hot weather, which invalidates the

assertion
that people (pilots) who don't know the answer to my question should not

be
flying.

This knowledge is required for a private pilot in the USA. I suspect it's
similar for other countries as well. Someone who doesn't know this either is
not a pilot, or somehow has beaten the system. In either case he/she should
not be flying.

Old July 1st 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Olson

Mxsmanic wrote:
muff528 writes:

If that's as high as your airplane will go you probably should get another
airplane. At least don't fly around out west where the hills are higher than
that. Sometimes even the ground is higher than that! :-)

I try to avoid the mountains when flying a small plane.

I love mountain flying... Give me a Piper Supercub on floats (about as
"small" as you can get when I regularly fly a C-185 on amphib floats)
and I'll fly it practically anywhere in the Lower Mainland (and we have
a lot of mountains to the North and East)... :-)
Old July 1st 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

This knowledge is required for a private pilot in the USA. I suspect it's
similar for other countries as well.

It may be required to pass a test. But pilots aren't tested every day.

Someone who doesn't know this either is
not a pilot, or somehow has beaten the system. In either case he/she should
not be flying.

There are many people with drivers licenses who shouldn't be driving, and yet,
there they are.
Old July 1st 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

Freezing rain or embedded thunderstorms would certainly raise the
discomfort level for this pilot more than would temps 100 degrees F.

Not necessarily. Heat kills more readily than cold.
Old July 1st 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 1, 5:35 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
Freezing rain or embedded thunderstorms would certainly raise the
discomfort level for this pilot more than would temps 100 degrees F.

Not necessarily. Heat kills more readily than cold.

Oh, I LOVE this. A sim player is telling me, a real card carrying
pilot, that I do not necessarily worry more about flying when there is
freezing rain and embedded thunderstorms than I do about flying when
it's hot? Would you rather fly when there's freezing rain in the
forecast, or embedded thunderstroms, than when it's over 43 C?

Since you're telling me what I should think, why not tell me what I
thing about your opinion?
Old July 2nd 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
yeedyeegiiss

Mxsmanic wrote:

What are the main things I have to give special consideration to when
preparing to fly in very hot weather (43° C)?

Irrelevant. You don't fly. You aren't preparing to fly. It isn't
43 deg C where you are right now.
Old July 2nd 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
yeedyeegiiss

Mxsmanic wrote:

I might have an accident.

So?
Old July 2nd 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
yeedyeegiiss

Mxsmanic wrote:

I try to avoid the mountains when flying a small plane.

You don't fly a plane of any size. Therefore, you don't have any
mountains to avoid.

Deadlines to remember Gilan Home Built 5 July 5th 06 09:28 PM
Remember to tip your ... pilot? Brien K. Meehan Piloting 10 February 4th 06 03:25 PM
Remember when? Billposter Naval Aviation 21 August 22nd 05 09:22 PM
Tasha. Anyone remember her? Mike Anselmo Naval Aviation 2 February 15th 04 03:28 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM