PW-5 rental for WC Nationals

Old January 14th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OT/Winter doldrums/politics

Derek Copeland wrote:
Well, I am a glider pilot, rather than a professional
politician. Unfortunately, as we are finding out the
hard way in Europe as the EC 'harmonises' it's flying
regulations, politics are important to us.

Politicians and civil servants always want to play
it safe, so airspace is becoming more and more reserved
for commercial and military aviation and we are lucky
to get any remaining scraps. The idea of airmindedness
and flying for pleasure never seems to figure in politicians
minds, until there is a war and they need pilots!

Also wars require them to raise extra revenue, i.e.
taxes, so we have less disposable income to spend on
flying, assuming that we are allowed to aviate at all.
Then there is the risk that we will be send into battle
and killed, or have to kill many innocent civilians
on the other side. I would only be prepared to go along
with this if our country was actually directly under
attack, rather than some trumped up charge of WMDs
in a remote land, when the real objective was to nick
all their oil!

No, say it ain't so! ;-)

Oh, and by the way Paul. If Hitler's Germany was perceived
to be such a threat to the World in 1938, why didn't
the US get directly involved until 1942?

It's called The Atlantic. Once all those sinking ships started
poisoning our fish supplies, we got ****ed.

Shawn