PW-5 rental for WC Nationals

Old January 12th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-5 rental for WC Nationals/Froggies

.. I don't think they have ever
forgiven us and the Yanks for liberating their country
from German occupation!

- You're also known for selling your allies to, for instance Stalin,
so maybe it's healthier and smarter to stay ignorant and indifferent.

Old January 12th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-5 rental for WC Nationals

You could try http://www.5c1.net/sass.html located just north of San
Antonio, Texas he has 2 PW-5s on the field.

Old January 12th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SoCal isn't as far from Marfa as Houston or Dallas are....
"BTIZ" wrote in message
http://www.downingsailplanes.com/

Check here.. I'm not sure if he is still in business.. but he may have a
source.. he is in SoCal.. a long way from Marfa..
BT

"Bill Thar" wrote in message
I am looking for a PW-5 to rent for the World Class Nationals at Marfa, TX
6/20/2006 - 6/29/2006.

Bill Thar

Old January 12th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, Marfa Texas is a long way from everywhere, but certainly worth the
trip. That's why I live/soar here. It's quite nice, being 500 miles
from Dallas / 900 miles from So. California. Nearest Super Wal-Mart is
186 miles away in El Paso or Midland, TX. Wide open airspace and 100
mile visibility. On a grassy plateau near the Davis Mountains and Big
Bend National Park. Big, quiet airport (MRF) w/ three runways. RV
hookups on site.

For more information on the PW-5 World Class US National Contest June
20-29, 2006, see the PW-5 page under "Marfa Gliders" on my website:
www.flygliders.com

I strongly recommend bringing a capable ground crew when bringing ANY
glider to Marfa.
Also rig a proper antenna for your crew-car. A 5/8 wave magnetic mount
works much better on your crew's handheld radio than a little "rubber
ducky" antenna. Find a ham radio dude and tune your antenna for near 1
to 1 "SWR". Purchase a 5/8 wave antenna at Eastern Sailplane or
wingsandwheels.com Why? Cellphones don't work that well out here
and if you don't bring a crew, then bring an ELT. Then again, there's
no CAP search unit out here. No, we don't expect you to land out, but
IF you do - there are few roads and the nights are cold in the summer
here - at 5,000' msl on the Marfa plateau. The stars are rather
incredible - so pack a telescope if you have one!

We fly year-round. Training and glider ratings / aerotows by
appointment. Thermals and wave in winter & spring.

Where "The Sun Ship Game" movie was filmed at the 1969 US Nationals.
Watch the movie, then bring your sailplane and pretend to be Gleb
Derujinsky (CI) or George Moffat (XX) - your choice. (Although my role
model was Ben Greene.)

Y'all come visit. We'll show you a good time!

Burt Compton Master CFI, FAA Designated Examiner
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com
800-667-9464

Old January 12th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Oh boy, I think I found my fun for this week. These posting have
drifted away from the subject again.....weren't we supposed to help a
fellow soaring pilot to locate a glider available for rent? Even though
it is a PW-5 it is still a glider and it serves its purpose.

By the way us British glider pilots are not made welcome
in France, because allegedly two of our gliders were
unfortunate enough to get in the way of a free falling
parachutist and a French two-seater that spun in a
thermal respectively. Since then they will not recognise
our UK qualifications, despite this being a principle
requirement of the EU. I don't think they have ever
forgiven us and the Yanks for liberating their country
from German occupation!

Still never mind. I fly and spend my money in all the
other EU countries who do make us welcome and accept
our qualifications.

Now Derek you started making some sense....I need to give credit when
credit is due.

. I don't think they have ever

forgiven us and the Yanks for liberating their country
from German occupation!

- You're also known for selling your allies to, for instance Stalin,
so maybe it's healthier and smarter to stay ignorant and indifferent.

It looks like the debate is getting better...unfortunately I must
agreed with both statements. Boy....the winter is loooong indeed.

Old January 12th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Burt,
as a "ham-dude" - a couple of comments.

If you want range, a 7/8 ths antenna is much, much better. So if they are
available go for it, the cost should not be to dissimilar to a 5/8 ths.

The only down side is these antennas are much better at putting the signal
closer
to the ground rather than up into space/sky. So a glider close in might not
hear to much well, so revert to a shorter aerial (a quarter wave is great
for this, and still much more efficient than a rubber duck) As a very basic
rule of thumb, a 1/4 wave might double your range over a rubber duck,
a 5/8 ths might give 4 times the range and a 7/8 ths 6 to 8 times!

The quality of the coax is also important. Amazing how much signal power
you can lose over 10 feet of poor coax. Get the best you can afford.

Cheers,
Malcolm (also a poor K6CR owner) :-)

oups.com...

Old January 13th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-5 rental/Froggies

At 04:24 12 January 2006, Gk wrote:

- You're also known for selling your allies to, for
instance Stalin,

I assume that you are refering to Poland, Czechoslovakia
and the other Eastern European countries that got stuck
on the Russian side of the Iron Curtain after WW2.
I should point out that we (the British) declared war
on Hitler's Germany in support of Poland and that Winston
Churchill did his best to get it returned to being
an independent country at the end of the war. Unfortunately
it had been over-run by the Soviet Army, possession
is nine points of the law, and they weren't prepared
to give it up. Also the Yanks didn't want to support
any further war as they had achieved their objective
of defeating the Axis powers, so that was that - fait
accompli to Josph Stalin!

What this proves is that wars very often don't give
the desired results, even if you win them. George W.
Bush's invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, far from
defeating terrorism, has only stoked up even more hatred
of the West and more terrorism. Haven't the USA learned
any lessons from Korea, Vietnam and Gulf War 1?

Derek Copeland

Old January 13th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here you go again Derek, not only a briliant designer of gliders for
training (I am sure the design teams of all major glider manufacturers
are kicking them selves for not thinking of those 10 points first.) but
now you reveal an exceptional grasp of history.

Derek Copeland wrote:
At 04:24 12 January 2006, Gk wrote:

- You're also known for selling your allies to, for
instance Stalin,

I assume that you are refering to Poland, Czechoslovakia
and the other Eastern European countries that got stuck
on the Russian side of the Iron Curtain after WW2.
I should point out that we (the British) declared war
on Hitler's Germany in support of Poland and that Winston
Churchill did his best to get it returned to being
an independent country at the end of the war.

And perhaps you are conveniently forgetting the fact that Neville
Chamberlain agreed to allow Hitler to occupy the 'Sudetenland' despite a
previous treaty with Czechoslovakia, foolishly declaring that he just
obtained 100 years of peace for Europe.

Unfortunately
it had been over-run by the Soviet Army, possession
is nine points of the law, and they weren't prepared
to give it up. Also the Yanks didn't want to support
any further war as they had achieved their objective
of defeating the Axis powers, so that was that - fait
accompli to Josph Stalin!

Wow, what a briliant analysis of a complex situatiation - in less then
100 words. Historians who wrote books on the topic must be furious for
wasting all that time.

What this proves is that wars very often don't give
the desired results, even if you win them. George W.
Bush's invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, far from
defeating terrorism, has only stoked up even more hatred
of the West and more terrorism.

So are you suggesting that that there already was a lot of hatred? If
so, then a bit more may be of no consequence.

Haven't the USA learned
any lessons from Korea, Vietnam and Gulf War 1?

Or perhaps they have learnt from the situation in 1938 when an evil
force was allowed to expand, tens of millions died.

Paul
Old January 13th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 14:18 13 January 2006, Pb wrote:

And perhaps you are conveniently forgetting the fact
that Neville
Chamberlain agreed to allow Hitler to occupy the 'Sudetenland'
despite a
previous treaty with Czechoslovakia, foolishly declaring
that he just
obtained 100 years of peace for Europe.

Actually a subtle ploy to buy more time to develop
the Spitfire and the Hurricane fighter planes and to
rearm, so that we could fight off the Germans!

Derek Copeland