Who needs terrorists when we have Dell?

Old August 16th 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

Default Who needs terrorists when we have Dell?

("Emily" wrote)
Yes, because I know the chances of getting pregnant and having to quit my
job are lowered.

Keep your job, get a raise ...and let 'hubby' stay home with the little
one(s).

Oh, I'm sorry, did that sound too much like I hate children? (I've been
told hating children is unattractive)

Hating children is ok. Bitching about hating children (which you're not
doing here) is what makes one unattractive.

Montblack

Old August 16th 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cub Driver

Default Who needs terrorists when we have Sony?

On 15 Aug 2006 22:52:04 -0700, "cjcampbell"
wrote:

So, if you are flying and your laptop catches fire, how do you put it
out? Halon is no good for class D fires.

In a small plane? I'd throw it out the door.

In one of the incidents (there haven't been many ... that we know of)
a flight attendant emptied the fire extinguisher onto the bag
containing the offending laptop, but it was still sizzling. So he or
she picked it up (in another account I read that the FA used oven
mitts from the galley!) and threw it either onto the loading ramp or
onto the tarmac (the accounts vary) where it again burst into flame.
Sounded a bit like the Terminator coming back to life.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old August 16th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Montblack wrote:
("Emily" wrote)

Yes, because I know the chances of getting pregnant and having to quit
my job are lowered.

Keep your job, get a raise ...and let 'hubby' stay home with the little
one(s).

Oh, I'm sorry, did that sound too much like I hate children? (I've
been told hating children is unattractive)

Hating children is ok. Bitching about hating children (which you're not
doing here) is what makes one unattractive.

I always thought being ugly made one unattractive. :-)

Matt
Old August 16th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old August 17th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Emily wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry, did that sound too much like I hate children? (I've been
told hating children is unattractive)

Do you hate children or do you hate what modern parenting has done to the
reputation of children?

--
Peter
Old August 17th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:43:46 GMT, "Jim Carter"
wrote in 004101c6c131$99807a10$4001a8c0@omnibook6100:

Since laptops are once again allowed onboard as checked luggage, I
wonder if the airlines are going to start checking battery models and
revision numbers (bet not).

It would seem this requirement to check laptop computers rather than
making them available for use in the cabin has cost Boeing a bundle
not to mention the jobs lost:

------------------------------
The Boeing Company http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/index.html

Boeing to Discontinue Connexion by Boeing Service

* Previously announced charge to earnings now expected to be up to
$320 million

* Earnings benefit of approximately $0.15 per share expected
beginning in 2007

CHICAGO, Aug. 17, 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today
announced that a detailed business and market analysis of Connexion by
Boeing is complete, and the company has decided to exit the high-speed
broadband communications connectivity markets. Boeing will work with
its customers to facilitate an orderly phase out of the Connexion by
Boeing service.

"Over the last six years, we have invested substantial time, resources
and technology in Connexion by Boeing," said Boeing Chairman,
President and CEO Jim McNerney. "Regrettably, the market for this
service has not materialized as had been expected. We believe this
decision best balances the long-term interests of all parties with a
stake in Connexion by Boeing."

As initially disclosed in the company's second-quarter 2006 financial
results on July 26, Boeing now expects to recognize a pre-tax charge
of up to $320 million, or $0.26 per share, in the second half of 2006,
of which approximately $290 million will be taken in the third quarter
and the balance in the fourth quarter. The company also expects a
benefit to earnings of approximately $0.15 per share starting in 2007
without further investment in Connexion. The company will update its
financial guidance when it releases third quarter results on October
25.

The charge relates to writing down certain assets, payments of early
termination fees and other costs related to shutting down the service.
Boeing expects the majority of Connexion employees will find other
jobs within the company.

Boeing acknowledged it was reviewing the Connexion business on June
26. This effort included an assessment of the market and discussions
with existing customers and potential new business partners.
Old August 18th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On 15 Aug 2006 02:42:26 -0700, "cjcampbell"
wrote:

So, Dell has exploding laptops. Reminds me of the old days in Hollywood
when every computer in a Universal picture eventually exploded. Geeks
smirkingly called them the Explodatron 2000. Now instead of the
Explodatron 2000 we have Dell! Four million laptops apparently just a
time bomb (literally) waiting to go off. And it might go a lot further
than that -- lots of companies use the same batteries, including Apple,
HP, Sony.

Any one blaming Dell is blaming the wrong company. All of the above
their computers as they wouldn't know what they are anyway", Sony.

If given a choice I will never again purchase anything produced by
Sony.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old August 18th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:51:05 -0400, Roger
wrote in :

All of the above
their computers as they wouldn't know what they are anyway", Sony.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5946760.html
On Thursday, a wave of malicious software appeared in the wild
that piggybacked on copy-protection technology installed on hard
drives by Sony BMG Music Entertainment CDs.

Computer security companies had been predicting such exploit code
in the wild for weeks, since an independent developer had exposed
the presence of a "rootkit" tool on the Sony CDs. The rootkit
technology hid the copy protection from view, but also left open a
hole that could hide other software.

Virus writers quickly took advantage of that hole, modifying an
old Trojan horse to take advantage of the powerful inadvertent
shielding provided by the Sony software.
Old August 18th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

wrote in :

All of the above
their computers as they wouldn't know what they are anyway", Sony.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5946760.html
On Thursday, a wave of malicious software appeared in the wild
that piggybacked on copy-protection technology installed on hard
drives by Sony BMG Music Entertainment CDs.

Computer security companies had been predicting such exploit code
in the wild for weeks, since an independent developer had exposed
the presence of a "rootkit" tool on the Sony CDs. The rootkit
technology hid the copy protection from view, but also left open a
hole that could hide other software.

Virus writers quickly took advantage of that hole, modifying an
old Trojan horse to take advantage of the powerful inadvertent
shielding provided by the Sony software.

Yup, which Sony vehemently denied could happen until the public was
shown it *was * happening.

What did they do for the many people who had their computers trashed
due to the root kit itself. They replaced the offending CD and
offered a program to remove the root kit. (which really didn't).

Eventually they did come up with the soft ware to remove the root kit,
but those who had their computers trashed were stuck with the costs
and inconvenience of putting things back together.

BTW according to news reports in the trade journals at the time the
government was considering the prosecution of the case under the cyber
terrorism laws but never did. One judge did pointedly tell Sony that
all though it was their music these were not their computers.

Old August 19th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:22:30 -0400, Roger
wrote in :

those who had their computers trashed were stuck with the costs
and inconvenience of putting things back together.

Sounds like fodder for a class action suit to me.