A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider for heavy Pilot

Old March 22nd 21, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Default Glider for heavy Pilot

Tha Caproni Calif A21S will do that. No limits on the belts, just a max total cockpit load (typically around 400 lb). As it is a side-by-side, CoG is not an issue.

Le dimanche 21 mars 2021 Ã* 14:55:24 UTC+1, Hank Nixon a écritÂ*:
We are looking at what gliders may be suitable for heavy pilots. Gross weight, max mass of non lifting components, and forward CG limits. Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.
Ant experience out there?
Thx
UH

Old March 22nd 21, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 9:55:24 AM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
We are looking at what gliders may be suitable for heavy pilots. Gross weight, max mass of non lifting components, and forward CG limits. Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.
Any experience out there?
Thx
UH

I have no clue...but for others, decades ago I remember a "large pilot" that forced the front cockpit panels of a 2-33 against the rudder cables.
I usually flew with him due to my light weight. I believe we were within weight/CG limits.
Check ride required some "things" to allow slow flight stalls.

Tough for larger pilots (size and weight). Just throwing in cockpit panel deformation as regards to control cables as well as possible lack of back stick for flare. Maybe thin back cushions to allow full aft stick movement....best to check on ground!!!
Old March 22nd 21, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 10:07:42 AM UTC-4, Tango Whisky wrote:
Tha Caproni Calif A21S will do that. No limits on the belts, just a max total cockpit load (typically around 400 lb). As it is a side-by-side, CoG is not an issue.

Not an issue is not quite true but it has far less of an influence when compared to a conventional tandem seat configuration. The seats are still a little bit ahead of the CoG.

Uli - Calif-wrangler
'AS'
Old March 22nd 21, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have an opportunity to buy a glider with a parachute, both of which are weight limited. That’s all the motivation I need ... diet started .... 40lbs to go!
Old March 23rd 21, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 3:07:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a glider with a parachute, both of which are weight limited. That’s all the motivation I need ... diet started .... 40lbs to go!

Here a couple of possibilities:
1. Put him in a 2-seater solo.
2. Get a DG400 and remove the engine (this requires a new weight & balance and likely adding lead weight in the tail.

Tom