Vc gear difficulty

Old April 5th 21, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

Default Vc gear difficulty

Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.
Old April 5th 21, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 5:49:19 AM UTC-6, Phoenix wrote:
Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.

1. Check and lube all the sliding tube and linkages.
2. Check that the cotter pin is installed correctly on the end of the axel. It should not have sharp edges exposed. This can bind on the gear door. Signs of wear or scratching on the door are an indication of a problem. I have installed UHMW slides on the doors to help with this.
3. Have a mechanic that is familiar with S-H gliders adjust the gear mechanism.
4. Adjust your padding in the cockpit to make sure you can reach both ends of the gear swing with enough force to swing the gear.
Old April 5th 21, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 9:51:57 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 5:49:19 AM UTC-6, Phoenix wrote:
Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.

1. Check and lube all the sliding tube and linkages.
2. Check that the cotter pin is installed correctly on the end of the axel. It should not have sharp edges exposed. This can bind on the gear door. Signs of wear or scratching on the door are an indication of a problem. I have installed UHMW slides on the doors to help with this.
3. Have a mechanic that is familiar with S-H gliders adjust the gear mechanism.
4. Adjust your padding in the cockpit to make sure you can reach both ends of the gear swing with enough force to swing the gear.

Thanks for the tips, Tim. By the way, what is "UHMW"?
Old April 5th 21, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 10:07:24 AM UTC-4, Phoenix wrote:
[...]

Ultra high molecular weight.....usually a milky white slippery plastic/polyethylene. Sometimes found in the bottom of a spar box to allow sliding the wing spars in easier and resisting wear.
Old April 5th 21, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 4:49:19 AM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.

Also check that the bolts and nuts for the gear are not too tight and are well lubricated. This may happen if the gear has be removed and reinstalled.. If you continues to pull/Push on an overly tight gear handle good chance that the handle may break off.
How do I know this????

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 5th 21, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 10:46:55 AM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 4:49:19 AM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.

Also check that the bolts and nuts for the gear are not too tight and are well lubricated. This may happen if the gear has be removed and reinstalled. If you continues to pull/Push on an overly tight gear handle good chance that the handle may break off.
How do I know this????

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Thank you Richard. This strikes a chord as the gear mech. has been reinstalled by a previous owner. I'll definitely check these as I've definitely felt that I may break off the handle!
Old April 5th 21, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 7:54:36 AM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 10:46:55 AM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 4:49:19 AM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.

Also check that the bolts and nuts for the gear are not too tight and are well lubricated. This may happen if the gear has be removed and reinstalled. If you continues to pull/Push on an overly tight gear handle good chance that the handle may break off.
How do I know this????

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Don’t neglect to lube the gear door hinges, I’ve seen them so stiff that it’s hard to move by hand! Also, check the new tire To verify its the brand and style called out in the manual.......not all tire styles will fit into your wheel well (round face, not squared off)
It’s very hard to get to all the lube points with the fuselage upright, if possible, remove the canopy and lift the fuselage up onto saw-horses. Then roll it 90 degrees left and then right in order to clean, lube and inspect all moving parts! Move the gear up and down while observing the wheel well and doors............problem should become obvious. Many gears have springs that assist in lifting the gear.....check for broken/missing springs?
Good luck,
JJ
Old April 5th 21, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

On Monday, 5 April 2021 at 17:07:05 UTC+1, John Sinclair wrote:
[...]

I have found with several SH gliders that apart from the heaviness of lifting the gear there are 2 other issues. Firstly if you pull the handle too fast it bounces forward off the back stop so won't go in the detent. Secondly, when the handle is held in the natural thumb up position the thickness of the knuckles stops the handle from being held vertically enough to get fully into the detent. I invert my grip, which keeps the handle closer to the wall, and I try to retract smoothly while pushing the handle towards the cockpit wall.
Old April 5th 21, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John Galloway wrote on 4/5/2021 9:51 AM:
[...]

John describes the situation and most of the procedure many of the ASH26E pilots use. The rest
of the procedu push over gently (some forward stick) as you move the handle back, which
lightens the load on the gear handle, making it easy(ier) to move into the detent. No need to
go "zero G", just push over a little bit. It may take a few tries the first time, but you'll
quickly get the timing right.

Old April 5th 21, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jon May

On Monday, 5 April 2021 at 12:49:19 UTC+1, Phoenix wrote:
Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.

I know it is too easy, but if you reduce the tension on the axel bolt by one or two flats on the castle nut it will make a difference.
Just try it while its on the trailer belly dolly.
You will need to replace the split pin but it is so easy.
This is what worked on my discus and I was told by the importer /champion s/h pilot Steve Jones.