Guiberson Diesel

Old August 17th 03, 06:25 AM
Robert Murray

Default Guiberson Diesel

"Robert Bates" wrote in message
news:_dE%a.164033$YN5.104813@sccrnsc01...
Does anyone know if there are any surviving Guiberson A1020 diesel

radials?

There are a couple of T-1020s at Seattle's Museum of Flight Restoration
Center. I know they are for tanks, but there is very little difference.

Bob

Old August 17th 03, 07:16 AM
Bill Higdon

Robert Murray wrote:
"Robert Bates" wrote in message

Does anyone know if there are any surviving Guiberson A1020 diesel

radials?

There are a couple of T-1020s at Seattle's Museum of Flight Restoration
Center. I know they are for tanks, but there is very little difference.

Bob

Bob Kinser in Ogden, Utah had one back in the mid 70's, I don't know
what happened to it after that. And I don't have a contact for him either.
Bill Higdon

Old August 21st 03, 01:21 PM
The Raven

"Robert Bates" wrote in message
Does anyone know if there are any surviving Guiberson A1020 diesel

radials?

Yes, in fact I saw it running earlier this year. Don't know what model it is
but it's a Guiberson diesel. Have some digital pics of it, email me if you
want to see them.

Someone in Melbourne, Australia has one from a Stuart Tank that he trailers
around to a couple of shows and fires up.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old November 13th 03, 01:40 AM
Stan Weise

I know of numerous T-1020s, that's the Tank version which was also sold for

industrial applications. They have cooling fans and shrouds. There are

surely many A-1020s as well. Do you have a manual/photos or other

information. I would be interested in that. Production numbers etc.

Old November 13th 03, 04:50 AM
Robert Bates

I have been able to find very little about the engines. The best
information I have found is at http://www.enginehistory.org/Diesels/Ch3.pdf

I also heard that someone in Montana has some of them but that is all I have
found.

link.net...

Old November 13th 03, 10:36 PM
Stan Weise

The A-1020 was type certificated and flown in private aircraft. I'm not
aware if it was offered by any airplane manufacturer. The Army approved it
for Tank, Stuart, service and that must have consumed a large part of the
production. After the war Guiberson promoted them for industrial engines and
for use in busses in So. America. The Bureau of Ships installed some as
power for shipboard accessorys. The majority were therefore T-1020s, the
major difference being shrouds and cooling fans. Continental had a 9 cyl
R975 gas motor similarly configured for tanks.
"Robert Bates" wrote in message
newscDsb.134084$mZ5.923402@attbi_s54...
I have been able to find very little about the engines. The best
information I have found is at

http://www.enginehistory.org/Diesels/Ch3.pdf

I also heard that someone in Montana has some of them but that is all I

have
found.

link.net...

Old November 14th 03, 04:36 AM
Robert Bates

Thanks for the info!

"Stan Weise" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

link.net...

Old November 15th 03, 04:18 AM
Robert Bates

I would love to be able to fly one of these engines ( or two ) I have tried
to come up with a twin that could carry the weight and the only ones I have
been able to come up with would be a Beech 18 which would be underpowered or
a T-50 which would not like my wet Oregon weather.

"Chuck" wrote in message
I believe Don Sharp of Pauls Valley Oklahoma has a number of the Tank
engines.

link.net...