BOHICA! Weiner's Bill to Restrict GA

Old September 10th 04, 01:44 PM
Orval Fairbairn

Default BOHICA! Weiner's Bill to Restrict GA

Bend over, here it comes again!

According to AOPA and EAA e-newsletters, a NY Congressman, aptly named
Weiner, proposes Dracinian measures against GA:

AOPA WORKS THE HILL TO DEFEAT 'RIDICULOUS' GA SECURITY BILL
The moment word first leaked out that Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.)
wanted to impose security restrictions on general aviation that would
exceed even those of the airlines, AOPA's Legislative Affairs staff
sprung into action, lobbying against the bill. "This is preposterous,
unrealistic, and unnecessary," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "General
aviation is not a threat. The Transportation Security Administration
has already said so." Weiner's bill, H.R. 5035, would mandate the same
screening for all passengers and property aboard GA aircraft that is
required for the airlines. It would also prohibit any aircraft other
than an airliner from flying over cities with populations of 1 million
or more, or operating within 1,500 feet of any building. "In light of
everything that has already been done, requirements like those Rep.
Weiner would impose would kill all of general aviation," Boyer added.
AOPA has outlined its strong opposition to the legislation in meetings
with Republican and Democratic staff of the House aviation subcommittee.
The association is also using its extensive network of relationships
with key members of the subcommittee in fighting the bill.
Old September 10th 04, 01:53 PM
Roy Smith

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Weiner's bill, H.R. 5035, would mandate the same
screening for all passengers and property aboard GA aircraft that is
required for the airlines.

Yeah, I got the EAA newsletter this morning too. Has anybody actually
seen the text of the bill? I tried to look it up, but can't find it.
There's a list of House bills on-line at

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...me=108_cong_bi
lls&wrapperTemplate=BillBrowse_wrapper.html&billty pe=hr

but it skips directly from HR-5025 to HR-5041. It's not on Thomas
(http://thomas.loc.gov/) either.
Old September 10th 04, 02:00 PM
W P Dixon

Kinda reminds me of the other NY guy, Shumer? I guess that is how you spell
it. But anyway he does everything he can do to pass laws to take guns away
from law abidding citizens while he has 2 armed body guards with him 24
hours a day! Otherwise it is ok for his rich snobby butt to be protected by
a gun, but you are not supposed to be! This guy about GA will be the first
to use GA to his advantage whenever he gets a chance, but wants to
practically shut it down for everyone else. Does anyone else see a pattern
with the Democratic Party.
Seems they preach and preach about freedom, but always do their best to
take it away from us against The Constitution. It's frustrating!

Old September 10th 04, 03:55 PM
OtisWinslow

The god damn Dems are our biggest enemy. They believe in freedom
and wealth for them only. They want our weapons taken away so
we can't fight back as they redistribute what we've worked for
to some lazy ass that won't work for their own. They scare me far more than
a bunch of
camel jockeys.

Old September 10th 04, 04:05 PM
Roger Long

Why do you say Democrats? I've noticed the Repubs being much more
interested in what people do in their bedrooms and the privacy of their
homes.

Haven't you noticed that the silly flight restrictions, no recourse lifting
of pilot's licenses, etc. are all happening on a republican watch?

I'm not saying that it would be any better under a democratic administration
but that identifying this as connected with either party obscures the real
problems with our country and government.

Stupidity, grandstanding, and incompetence are entirely bipartisan.

--

Roger Long

Old September 10th 04, 04:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roger Long" wrote in message
. ..

Why do you say Democrats? I've noticed the Repubs being much more
interested in what people do in their bedrooms and the privacy of their
homes.

How so?

Old September 10th 04, 04:11 PM
C J Campbell

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
The god damn Dems are our biggest enemy. They believe in freedom
and wealth for them only. They want our weapons taken away so
we can't fight back as they redistribute what we've worked for
to some lazy ass that won't work for their own. They scare me far more

than
a bunch of
camel jockeys.

What do you expect from a guy who has repeatedly claimed that he was in
Cambodia on Christmas Eve in 1968 listening to a talk by President Nixon?
(For the history impaired: there were no US troops in Cambodia in 1968 and
Johnson was President.) Well, you would expect that he would then have the
chutzpah to call Bush a liar. :-)

Old September 10th 04, 04:32 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article t,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in message

Why do you say Democrats? I've noticed the Repubs being much more
interested in what people do in their bedrooms and the privacy of their
homes.

How so?

You must not be familiar with Virginia...where Adultery is still a felony,
and someone recently was prosecuted on such a charge.

....and where sodomy is still a crime, even between consenting adults in
the privacy of their bedrooms...

....and where the GOP has run the state treasury into the ground...

but I digress...

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/
Old September 10th 04, 04:53 PM
John Harlow

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Roger Long" wrote in message
. ..

Why do you say Democrats? I've noticed the Repubs being much more
interested in what people do in their bedrooms and the privacy of
their homes.

How so?

Bush's attempts to legislate morality.

Old September 10th 04, 05:03 PM
C J Campbell

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
The god damn Dems are our biggest enemy. They believe in freedom
and wealth for them only. They want our weapons taken away so
we can't fight back as they redistribute what we've worked for
to some lazy ass that won't work for their own. They scare me far more

than
a bunch of
camel jockeys.

In fact, what do you expect from a guy who claimed under oath that he raped,
pillaged, and burned, Genghis Khan style, whole villages, shot babies, made
necklaces of human ears, and cut off fingers? Must be interesting to explain
that to your wife: "Well, we were young and out just having a little fun.
Boys will be boys, you know." But then he testifies under oath that he knew
all the other GIs were doing it, too. Such omniscience! A guy like that
might even order his minions to forge some documents discrediting his
political opponents, though it is more likely he expects them to come up
with stuff like that on their own.

The Dems appear to have an office of dirty tricks that would have made Nixon
green with envy. They appear willing to stop at nothing in their effort to
seize power through intrigue and deception.