Turbine air start -- too cold?

Old January 14th 05, 10:56 PM
Juan Jimenez

I understand what you are saying. The way I see it, the proof that there is
sufficient volume is that the engine is turning up to the desired RPM needed
before putting fuel into the mixture.

I think, from testing I did today, that I have a stuck fuel control spill
valve. I hope it's not that, but I think that's what it is.

"Sean Trost" wrote in message
news
Juan
I believe that N1 is related to the velocity of the airstream introduced.
Which is good. But not related to the ignition problem
Now You have said that you have an excellent spark and good fuel. the
only other thing you need for start is the right airflow. or volumn. Dont
know about your engine specifically but most everything else runs right
around 14 to 1 on the ratio wise.

I can get a HIGH volume low pressure spray gun to flow 10 psi but it still
wont spray anything unless i get the volmume behind it to work properly.
Not that this has anything to do with jet engines or cumbustion but to
illustrate that velocity and volumn are not interchangable.

Sean

Juan Jimenez wrote:
Yes, the volume is more than enough, as evidenced by N1 reaching close to
15%.

Juan

"Sean Trost" wrote in message
. ..

Juan,
Cooling would take one leg of the combustion triangle out of the picture.
I dare say it would take a large amount of cooling to do so.

I suspect that a more plausable reason would be the fuel air ratio being
outside the LEL.

The manual calles for 145 psi and 1.21 lbs volumn. are you getting the
volumn with the setup you are using ?

all the best.
Sean

Old January 14th 05, 11:22 PM
Juan Jimenez

That's because the comment is classic Riley Clueless, Vaughn. Modern 100#
propane tanks are rated for _at least_ 250# _working_ pressure. Each tank
must be tested two twice that working pressure and one out of every 500 is
tested to four times working pressure. Pressure relief valves for cooking
gas tanks are usually set for 375 psi. The compressed air that goes into the
tank doesn't get nearly as hot as his overactive imagination says it does.
In fact, the outside of the tank is quite cool to the touch at 280 psi.

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
news
Propane tanks are normally rated for 250 LBS.

That rating is normally at 120 degrees. 280 PSI air is probably a lot
hotter than that. It's been too long since I've done ideal gas law
equations, but I seem to remember 250 psi air getting to 300 or 350 F.
At a temperature higher than it's rating, a tank is weaker than it's
rating.

You lost me here. In my experience, 250# air can be any temperature
you
want it to be.

Vaughn

Old January 14th 05, 11:23 PM
Juan Jimenez

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
news
mercy snip

I will be filtering this thread.

All of that BS for one, solitary piece of useful information...

Old January 14th 05, 11:48 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Juan Jimenez says...

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
news
mercy snip

I will be filtering this thread.

All of that BS for one, solitary piece of useful information...

Gee Richard that's what we say about ANN ..lots of BS and little info LOL!!!
Sorry couldn't help my self.Back to lurk mode

Chuck S RAH-15/1 ret

Old January 14th 05, 11:59 PM
Jim Carriere

Sean Trost wrote:
Juan
I believe that N1 is related to the velocity of the airstream
introduced. Which is good. But not related to the ignition problem
Now You have said that you have an excellent spark and good fuel. the
only other thing you need for start is the right airflow. or volumn.
Dont know about your engine specifically but most everything else runs
right around 14 to 1 on the ratio wise.

Actually, jets are a different beast from piston engines. Between
about 25:1 and 50:1 is normal, even for lightoff fuel flow.
Stoichiometrically correct combustion is too hot.

Old January 15th 05, 03:20 PM
Juan Jimenez

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote in message
In article , Juan Jimenez
says...

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
news
mercy snip

I will be filtering this thread.

All of that BS for one, solitary piece of useful information...

Gee Richard that's what we say about ANN ..lots of BS and little info
LOL!!!
Sorry couldn't help my self.Back to lurk mode

Monkey see, monkey do. I guess it's true that retards feed from each other.

Old January 15th 05, 03:39 PM
Juan Jimenez

"Richard Riley" wrote in message

All he has to do is google "propane air pressure rating fatigue" and
he'll get most of what I gave him in my post. As obnoxious as he is,
his kids should grow up with a father.

All the results of that search that are relevant to using them as air tanks
talk about 20# thin metal LP tanks, you dunce, not about 100# steel tanks.

Do us all a favor and go play with your legos or something. Look, there's
Chuck in the sandbox! Go play! Shoo!

Old January 15th 05, 06:18 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Juan Jimenez says...

Monkey see, monkey do. I guess it's true that retards feed from each other.

Guess your right Hmmm let's see jim zoom campbell and jaun jaminiz (spelled
wrong on purpose) :-)

See ya

Chuck (I designed my own plane ,did you?) S RAH-15/1 ret

Old January 15th 05, 07:34 PM
John Ammeter

On 15 Jan 2005 09:18:40 -0800, ChuckSlusarczyk
wrote:

In article , Juan Jimenez says...

Monkey see, monkey do. I guess it's true that retards feed from each other.

Guess your right Hmmm let's see jim zoom campbell and jaun jaminiz (spelled
wrong on purpose) :-)

See ya

Chuck (I designed my own plane ,did you?) S RAH-15/1 ret

You noticed that, too....??

John