A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Garmin Recreational GPS Receivers (US)

Old March 8th 19, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA
external usenet poster

Default Garmin Recreational GPS Receivers (US)

If you have an old Garmin recreational receiver just lying around, like an eTrex or a GPS 76, you may be interested to know that (with some effort) it is totally possible to load an up-to-date airspace map and airport/waypoint list on it. These can make great back-up navigators in case you lose ship's power. You can even get unofficial IGC track files off them at the end of the flight.

Rudimentary instructions can be found on my soaringdata.info website. For airspace, see the link at the bottom of the airspace tab, or go to:

http://soaringdata.info/aviation/gpsAs.html

For airports and waypoints, follow the link to the airport query form on the airspace tab, then click "Getting started". Or go directly to:

http://soaringdata.info/airports/GarminHelp.html

I spent some time this winter making the airspace maps a bit prettier and easier to read. I even made a special version that looks reasonably good on older, monochrome screens. I don't know exactly why I did this -- it is a very serious case of new wine and really, really old bottles -- but it was kind of fun. Probably says something about my own specific neurosis. Anyway...

As with everything on soaringdata.info, this is completely free, and freely re-distributable.

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

PS. If you try this and find it heavy going, feel free to email me for help. Use the webmaster link at the top of the site.