A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Airports that have oxygen

Old February 23rd 21, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Levy
external usenet poster

Default Airports that have oxygen

Last year while motor gliding the western states I had trouble finding airports that can fill my oxygen bottle. I did get fills at Ely, Minden, and Inyokern. Do you know of places that can help out a visiting pilot?
Old February 23rd 21, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Doug Levy wrote on 2/23/2021 10:38 AM:
Last year while motor gliding the western states I had trouble finding airports that can fill my oxygen bottle. I did get fills at Ely, Minden, and Inyokern. Do you know of places that can help out a visiting pilot?

Put a HUGE cylinder in your Phoenix! I use a CFFC-048 carbon fiber wrapped, 48 cf at 2200 psi,
19.5" x 6.8", and 6.4lb. I mounted it in the baggage compartment on the bulkhead about 2.5'
behind the pilot. From Mountain High.

You might be able to fill at Parowan (they have cart), and I think I saw an oxygen cart at
Richfield, UT. Rifle, CO, might have it, or you may be able to get a fill from Schmulik
Dimenstein, the local glider pilot that maintains his own cylinders in a hangar there.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old February 23rd 21, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Grubb
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 10:56:38 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Put a HUGE cylinder in your Phoenix! I use a CFFC-048 carbon fiber wrapped, 48 cf at 2200 psi,
19.5" x 6.8", and 6.4lb. I mounted it in the baggage compartment on the bulkhead about 2.5'

You might be able to fill at Parowan (they have cart), and I think I saw an oxygen cart at
Richfield, UT. Rifle, CO, might have it, or you may be able to get a fill from Schmulik
Dimenstein, the local glider pilot that maintains his own cylinders in a hangar there.

--

Old February 23rd 21, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Grubb
external usenet poster

--

Mountain Valley, Tehachapi, CA. $15.00/Fill
Old February 23rd 21, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 11:20:31 AM UTC-8, Mark Grubb wrote:

--

Mountain Valley, Tehachapi, CA. $15.00/Fill\

if you are an AOPA member, you can try using the facility directory search function he https://www.aopa.org/destinations/

I typed in "Nevada, USA", checked the "public use" and "oxygen" boxes and when I hit search I got a map of Nevada showing airports listing oxygen services. I would call ahead to check.
Old February 24th 21, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

Siskiyou County Airport, Craggy Aero.

Old February 24th 21, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 3:46:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 11:20:31 AM UTC-8, Mark Grubb wrote:

--

Mountain Valley, Tehachapi, CA. $15.00/Fill\

if you are an AOPA member, you can try using the facility directory search function he https://www.aopa.org/destinations/

I typed in "Nevada, USA", checked the "public use" and "oxygen" boxes and when I hit search I got a map of Nevada showing airports listing oxygen services. I would call ahead to check.

How about a simple search for medical O2? Might be easier and cheaper...could be a medical supply house or similar...
Old February 24th 21, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Ashton
external usenet poster

How about a simple search for medical O2? Might be easier and cheaper...could be a medical supply house or similar...

This is a vexing problem and we are working on a database of airports with confirmed oxygen service. Part of the problem too is that there is no one available at the FBO to fill if it’s a weekend and the people behind the counter really don’t know at most FBOs. Best to try an industrial gas supplier like Linde rather than medical. Most medical O2 houses require a prescription....

A two bottle cascade is a great option at the hangar too....

Scott

Old February 24th 21, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

--

Parowan Aero Services FBO used to have a Oxygen recompressor to top up those high PSI composite bottles, and a water bath to keep the bottle cool while doing that.
Old February 24th 21, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

It has been my experience that Medical Oxygen requires a prescription.

Most Welding Gas supply businesses have ABO Aviators breathing Oxygen no prescription required and can fill a bottle.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com