Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Old September 12th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Stefan,

(Nitpicking, but what else would you expect in r.a.p.)

Have you read this thread? The one big smart*ss in it is more than
enough, thank you very much. No need to add to it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 12th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Emily,

Did he really just point this out like no instrment pilot knows this?

Still here? ;-)

I know, Iknow, I should just kill the entire thread.
Old September 13th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:48:35 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Thomas Borchert writes:

Yes. So?

So the compass cannot always be trusted.

The *only* time a compass can almost be trusted is in straight, level,
and un-accelerated flight. We make turns based on the TC and a watch
not the compass. OTOH you don't have to worry about it precessing like
the DG. I can roll into a CW turn and watch the compass show a CCW
turn. I can accelerate on one direction and it'll show a left turn.
Accelerate in a different direction and have it show a right turn. Of
course decelerating will show turns opposite of accelerating.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old September 13th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

wrote:

Thomas Borchert writes:

Yes. So?

So the compass cannot always be trusted.

The *only* time a compass can almost be trusted is in straight, level,
and un-accelerated flight.

But the errors are predictable. I've seen a DG slowly wind down to
nothing and then completely fail, and I flew the plane just fine with
just the compass.
Old September 13th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:

Thomas Borchert writes:

Yes. So?

So the compass cannot always be trusted.

The *only* time a compass can almost be trusted is in straight, level,
and un-accelerated flight. We make turns based on the TC and a watch
not the compass. OTOH you don't have to worry about it precessing like
the DG. I can roll into a CW turn and watch the compass show a CCW
turn. I can accelerate on one direction and it'll show a left turn.
Accelerate in a different direction and have it show a right turn. Of
course decelerating will show turns opposite of accelerating.

It is still trustworthey as it does the same thing in the same
conditions every time. That is most people's definition of something
you can trust. The acceleration and turn errors are known and
predictable, what is there not to trust? The only thing that makes a
compass not trustworthey is an unknown magnetic field that may have been
brought into the airplane.

If you didn't learn to understand and compensate for the characteristics
of the standard aviation compass during your flight training, then it is
your instruction that was not trustworthey! :-)

Matt
Old September 13th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:27:58 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote in :

The only thing that makes a
compass not trustworthey is an unknown magnetic field that may have been
brought into the airplane.

Of course, there's also electromagnetism...
Old September 13th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote in :

The only thing that makes a
compass not trustworthey is an unknown magnetic field that may have been
brought into the airplane.

Of course, there's also electromagnetism...

I didn't specify the source of the magnetic field. :-)

Matt
Old September 13th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

wrote in :

The only thing that makes a
compass not trustworthey is an unknown magnetic field that may have been
brought into the airplane.

Of course, there's also electromagnetism...

I didn't specify the source of the magnetic field. :-)

No you didn't.

I would think it possible for portable wiring plugged into a cigarette
lighter to be a possible source of magnetism capable of affecting a
compass. I suppose, if both wires are parallel and adjacent, their
fields would cancel, but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
Old September 13th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

wrote:

Thomas Borchert writes:

Yes. So?
So the compass cannot always be trusted.

The *only* time a compass can almost be trusted is in straight, level,
and un-accelerated flight.

But the errors are predictable. I've seen a DG slowly wind down to
nothing and then completely fail, and I flew the plane just fine with
just the compass.

I think I may have phrased that poorly.
Let me try again? :-))

The compass tells you the truth "only" when in straight, level, and
un-accelerated flight IF outside influences are taken into account.
Those outside influences are normally predictable, but sometimes sneak
up on the unwary. In addition to magnetic variation some aircraft
develop some magnetic fields (portions of the airframe may become
magnetized) and require degaussing. Adding new equipment can sometimes
require "re-swinging" the compass. I have to be careful where I put
the Garmin GPS. It works fine on the yoke, but will swing the compass
about 60 degrees on when on the glare shield.

Around here the magnetic compass is only 6 degrees off which is close
enough. However there are areas in the lower 48 where I think you can
find close to 20 degrees. Now that is enough to notice even on a short
trip.

Old September 13th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Unfortunately, prices have gone up, yet, this is often available
for $59 (sometimes less).

He can do this for $49 at many places. He dosen't need to be under
the hood to manipulate the controls.

www.beapilot.com

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jeratfrii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/

Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How? Rick Umali Piloting 29 February 15th 06 05:40 AM
I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
AirCraft Radio Communications [email protected] Rotorcraft 0 November 13th 03 01:48 AM