SSA web site

Old March 31st 05, 11:41 PM
Roger

Default SSA web site

I wonder what is so important behind the members only part of the SSA
web site?

Old March 31st 05, 11:48 PM
Marc Ramsey

Roger wrote:
I wonder what is so important behind the members only part of the SSA
web site?

If you join the SSA, you'll find out...
Old April 1st 05, 12:34 AM
Terry

Board of Directors and executive committe reports posted long after the
meetings, a (mostly) weekly electronic newsletter, contest score
results, member locator function, and some news of interest to soaring
pilots that you did not see here previously.

If you join you also get a magazine that is slowly improving. A side
benefit is FAI membership if you have a Steve Fosset type itch to post
some records, or otherwise participate in contests.

Terry Claussen
SSA member

Old April 1st 05, 12:35 AM
Eric Greenwell

Roger wrote:

I wonder what is so important behind the members only part of the SSA
web site?

The things that are important to me a

* member locator (addresses and phone numbers)
* badge and record rules and forms
* Bylaws, Directors listing, Board of Director reports
* Dick Johnson's flight test articles
* News page

Perhaps your question is "Why are these so important that they have to
be protected by a password?" The SSA Directors believe these are
important membership benefits, and rightfully should be available only
to members. I tend to agree.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old April 1st 05, 03:18 PM
Bob Fidler

Membership locator has always been protected with a password. However, I
feel the remaining rather feable content of the website should be available
to all that wish to view. A philosophy of offering to share information
about soaring with interested parties may actually translate to a growing
membership rather than a CURRENT DECLINING ONE.

Bob Fidler

Old April 1st 05, 04:16 PM
Willie

Bob Fidler wrote:
Membership locator has always been protected with a password.

However, I
feel the remaining rather feable content of the website should be

available
to all that wish to view.

I think that the stuff that is protected gives added value to the
paying membership. There is plenty of information available
on the website for someone who is merely curious about soaring.

I really do miss the "photos" section. While being chained to a desk
all winter, it used to be nice to see pictures of other people
enjoying themselves. I hope they bring it back.

Willie

Old April 1st 05, 08:08 PM
Eric Greenwell

Bob Fidler wrote:
Membership locator has always been protected with a password. However, I
feel the remaining rather feable content of the website should be available
to all that wish to view. A philosophy of offering to share information
about soaring with interested parties may actually translate to a growing
membership rather than a CURRENT DECLINING ONE.

We used to have it freely available. How did that work out? We had
declining membership. I think the philosophy is generous but doesn't
help. The kinds of things behind the password are things that are
unlikely to attract NEW people to soaring, but are things of value to
people already in soaring. I think the current policy is more likely to
encourage these "already" soaring people to join the SSA than one that
gives them what they want for free.

After all, it takes money and effort to produce and deliver these
things. If they have value to non-members, they should seriously
consider supporting the costs and efforts by becoming members. This
would enable the Society to do even more.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old April 1st 05, 11:41 PM
snoop

Checked the SSA Photo Gallery today, and there are actually a few
pictures in the gallery!

Old April 2nd 05, 12:32 AM
Eric Greenwell

Asbjorn Hojmark wrote:

I wonder what is so important behind the members only part of the
SSA web site?

If you join the SSA, you'll find out...

But maybe, if you don't know in advance what you'll get for your
money, you won't join....

Asbjorn makes a good point, so I've sent the following email to my
director and the SSA Excutive Director:

Hi Dennis, Steve,

A recent thread on rec.aviation.soaring is/was "what's in the Member
only section". Checking the "Society/Benefits of Membership" section
doesn't reveal the answer, either, and it doesn't even mention the
web site. Since the web site a major benefit, it should be added to
the list, and include some details of the "membership only" section,
so as to attract people to the Society. Right now, they can't know
all the good stuff they'd get by joining.

Eric

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA