500km triangle flight HD video

Old July 20th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno

Default 500km triangle flight HD video

I had a fun 500km FAI triangle flight on Saturday out of Cedar Valley,
Utah to get my Silver badge so I can fly my first contest in Logan in
a few weeks and took an HD video camera along to document the
progress. There was plenty of virga but also crazy strong lift.

Take a look at 3:10 in the video and see the thermal going up at an
amazing 1,800 fpm to well past 18k. Please note that my pressure
altimeter shows 17,800 when I finally caught I was about to bust Class
A while going up like an airliner and pushed the nose over and I never
went higher than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSSlBKjmC8Y&fmt=22

Link to the OLC for the flight:
http://www3.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....Id=-1861790549

Enjoy,
Bruno
phoebus.vassel.com
Old July 21st 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hellman

Bruno,

Very nice video. Thanks. At the beginning, it looked like you may have
been suffering from the same problem I've found when I try to film and
fly at the same time. It's hard to stay centered in the thermal! Or
was that just a small thermal?

Martin
WT
Old July 21st 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Nice flight..
but the Silver Badge is 50km straight line
normally only Silver is needed for contests..
a 500km triangle would be Diamond Distance and Diamond Goal (300km or
better)
BT

Old July 21st 09, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Ferguson

Which Video Cam and lens did you use Bruno,

Thanks.

Old July 21st 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno

On Jul 21, 5:00*am, John Ferguson
. co.uk wrote:
Which Video Cam and lens did you use Bruno,

Thanks.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. As Martin mentioned, it is
harder than it seems to video yourself, talk and keep centered in a
thermal at the same time.

I was using was an off-brand DXG-567V HD video camera I got off of
ebay new for $77 including free shipping! I glued a wide angle Cokin
lens I got for another 15 bucks and that is it. Anyone can have
pretty decent in cockpit HD video for under $100. No more excuses! I
just looked and buy.com is selling these cameras right now for $55.
Crazy. Everyone go out and start videoing your flights. Just keep
your eyes outside the glider and don't run into anything.

Again, I appreciate the comments.
Bruno
Old July 22nd 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

. co.uk wrote:
Which Video Cam and lens did you use Bruno,

Thanks.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. *As Martin mentioned, it is
harder than it seems to video yourself, talk and keep centered in a
thermal at the same time. *

I was using was an off-brand DXG-567V HD video camera I got off of
ebay new for $77 including free shipping! *I glued a wide angle Cokin
lens I got for another 15 bucks and that is it. *Anyone can have
pretty decent in cockpit HD video for under $100. *No more excuses! *I
just looked and buy.com is selling these cameras right now for $55.
Crazy. *Everyone go out and start videoing your flights. *Just keep
your eyes outside the glider and don't run into anything.

Again, I appreciate the comments.
Bruno

Man, what a SMOKIN' day!! Nice taste in gliders too.

-Evan Ludeman / T8 (ASW-20B)
Old July 22nd 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar Alonso

Great job Bruno! I have shared your video with of my powered
aircraft buddies.
Perhaps I can get then to switch over from the Dark Side ;-)

Oscar.
ASW24

On Jul 20, 2:57*pm, Bruno wrote:
I had a fun 500km FAI triangle flight on Saturday out of Cedar Valley,
Utah to get my Silver badge so I can fly my first contest in Logan in
a few weeks and took an HD video camera along to document the
progress. *There was plenty of virga but also crazy strong lift.

Take a look at 3:10 in the video and see the thermal going up at an
amazing 1,800 fpm to well past 18k. *Please note that my pressure
altimeter shows 17,800 when I finally caught I was about to bust Class
A while going up like an airliner and pushed the nose over and I never
went higher than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSSlBKjmC8Y&fmt=22

Link to the OLC for the flight:http://www3.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....o.html?flightI...

Enjoy,