Mounting camera on wing of glider

Old August 30th 14, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Mounting camera on wing of glider

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:52:42 PM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Vaughn wrote, On 8/28/2014 7:38 AM:

On 8/28/2014 10:24 AM, Waveguru wrote:

Where can we find "gaffer tape"?

You find it where you find everything else, Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-GAFF30YD-...s=gaffers+tape

The info for the referenced tape uses natural rubber adhesive, but it

also says it " Will not leave adhesive residue behind when removed"

email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm

http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

I'll ask my son when I see him. He's a theater lighting and sound stage guy and uses gaffer's tape regularly. He even had some holding part of the front body work on his car recently.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 30th 14, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey

I use Gaffers Tape at work for various applications. It does leave residue when exposed to heat (Direct Sunlight) for some period of time. It works VERY well, however when I took my wingtip video I opted not to use gaffers tape in fear of pulling up the gel coat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBIIHNt7Rg
This was a video I shot with the same GoPro Hero 3. I used the suction mount again on the horizontal, and secured it with regular white bowlus gap seal. It worked great! See my YouTube Channel for more Tail Mounted videos. The GoPro Hero 3 wireless control option is great for taking videos like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQqq_SDCwnA
This video I shared earlier, but again with my GoPro Hero 3 on a suction mount and secured with tape. On this attempt I used the Cloth Tape (Usually used as control surface gap seal). It worked well, and provided a better surface area for me to work with.

In Both videos, you can see that the Suction mount with LOTS of added tape is fairly rigid and works well at high speeds. I don't trust the suction mount which is why I add so much tape. The nice thing about the suction mount is that there is a lot of surface area to use when securing the mount with tape.

-SW

Old September 9th 14, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:33:49 -0700, drguyacheson wrote:

Get a GoPro Hero 3. Great suction cup mounts. Remote control for video
or stills using your cell phone or their remote button.

I'd never trust a suction cup by itself. Might work 19 times out of 20,
then you're out a GoPro.

Adhesive mounts for GoPro generally use 3M VHB (very high bond) tape,
intended to be permanent, but can be removed cleanly with difficulty
using heat. See "Parowan Motorglider" on youtube. Next time I think
I'll go with the gaffer's tape over suction cup mount.