Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

Old October 25th 05, 12:46 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

Ok. This guy is just insensitive or just a moron. Possibly both. Almost
certainly he has never been faced with the situations described. Or
perhaps he (she?) is a super human. Or perhaps s/he just thinks so. Either
way, into the ignore file goes he. or her. whatever.

You killfile a guy -- on Usenet -- for being "insensitive"?

You must have one heckuva big killfile!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 25th 05, 12:49 PM
Jay Honeck

I wonder how many where airworthy. I would estimate that at most
airports 20% of the aircraft cannot fly at any given time.

Good point.

Heck, there are hangars at my airport that I have NEVER seen opened, in 8
years. God only knows what kind of death-trap you might find inside 'em.

The pilots would likely be safer letting the plane inside be destroyed by a
hurricane. *I* sure wouldn't risk my life flying them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 25th 05, 12:49 PM
Doug

Fortunately most of us do not rely on a dictionary to determine what is
covered and what is not covered by an insurance policy. Instead, we
rely on the wording of the insurance policy. Look at the exclusions. If
it is not excluded, it is usually covered. Certainly wind damage is
covered. Fire is as well. Floods as well, unless excluded (Flooding IS
excluded with HOUSEHOLD insurance). Biggest aviation fallacy I have
heard very often, usually quoted by someone who has never owned a plane
(like an instructor), is you aren't covered if you violate a FAR.
Nonsense. If you run a stop sign and run into a car with your car, do
you think your auto insurance does not pay? Almost no one has actually
read their insurance policy, and unless you read it, you will not know.

Old October 25th 05, 03:18 PM
George Patterson

tony roberts wrote:

Or search the encyclopaedia:

Why? It won't tell you what your insurance covers; only the policy will tell you
that.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 25th 05, 03:20 PM
Newps

W P Dixon wrote:
Correct!,
Let's see I have 4 or 5 days notice. I have to spend most of one day
standing in line getting enough plywood to cover the house to try to
protect that major investment..that by the way the entire family
benefits from.

If you live in a hurricane area and you are in Home Depot 3 days before
the hurricane hits trying to buy plywood you are a moron.

Old October 25th 05, 03:32 PM
sfb

If you live in a hurricane area you have a problem with humidity and
mold. Most folks might not have inside storage with or without AC so
storing plywood at Home Depot may be the cheapest alternative.

Old October 25th 05, 03:37 PM
JohnH

sfb wrote:
If you live in a hurricane area you have a problem with humidity and
mold. Most folks might not have inside storage with or without AC so
storing plywood at Home Depot may be the cheapest alternative.

Then what do you do with $400 worth of plywood?

It seems old fashoned storm shutters would be the way to go.

Old October 25th 05, 03:48 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Harvey" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote his 1st response:

Let's see I have 4 or 5 days notice. I have to spend most of one day
standing in line getting enough plywood to cover the house to try to

protect
that major investment..that by the way the entire family benefits from.

I don't buy it. You would only have to move the plane 60 miles or so.
There is time in there to move "that" major investment, also.

60 miles doesn't move the plane out of the 12 hr margin of error.

Old October 25th 05, 04:20 PM
sfb

Old fashioned may be just that: old fashioned. The two problems are
debris breaking the windows and the wind literally pushing in the entire
window frame which is why plywood is anchored to the outside walls.
After Andrew in 1992, there were extensive upgrades to building codes
since what was thought to be sufficient wasn't. One example is a frame
attached to the inside walls under he wallboard to keep windows from
being pushed in by the wind and rain. After Charley in 2004, you could
spot developments build pre and post Andrew from the air.

"JohnH" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 25th 05, 04:31 PM
JohnH

sfb wrote:
Old fashioned may be just that: old fashioned. The two problems are
debris breaking the windows and the wind literally pushing in the
entire window frame which is why plywood is anchored to the outside
walls.

I was referring to storm shutters which, last time I saw them, were not made
of glass.