Garmin 480 SAIB

Old October 13th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

Default Garmin 480 SAIB

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/a...a/CE-07-02.pdf

GNS 480 Navigation System

CNX80 Navigation System

Background

Recent Garmin testing of Satellite Initial

Acquisition and Satellite Reacquisition under

high noise and minimum signal conditions has

shown these products may not fully meet TSOC146a

requirements under these specific

conditions. This could result in the possible

loss of satellite acquisition if these specific

conditions were encountered. Although we are

not aware of a service history problem by

operators, this equipment does not comply with

U.S. 14 CFR part 91, SFAR 97 requirements

for TSO-C146a equipment under minimum

signal and maximum interference conditions.

Deviations have been granted to allow

continued use of these systems while Garmin

brings them into complete TSO compliance.

Old October 13th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:51:42 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

GNS 480 Navigation System

Note this from the FAA published SAIB:

"This is information only. Recommendations aren’t mandatory".

Old October 13th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

Correct. I assumed everybody knew that.
Jim

Old October 13th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Granby

Correct. I assumed everybody knew that.

I obviously didn't! And I apologize for my mistake.

Old October 13th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

You're forgiven. Any news on King's GPS project? Maybe they are waiting
for Garmin to wrap up all the loose ends before introducing their new unit?
Jim

Old October 14th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:48:04 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

Correct. I assumed everybody knew that.
Jim

There's a long discussion on a GNS480 newsgroup as to whether or not the
AFM change, which echos the SAIB, is mandatory or not.
Old October 15th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Granby

Jim Burns wrote:

You're forgiven. Any news on King's GPS project?

I tried to grab someone at Oshkosh, but the BK was not exactly
overmanned...

Old November 5th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

Correct. I assumed everybody knew that.
Jim

There's a long discussion on a GNS480 newsgroup as to whether or not the
AFM change, which echos the SAIB, is mandatory or not.

Which GNS 480 newsgroup? Can you please post the url?

Any other GNS 480 newsgroups that you can recomend?

I noticed your Tail Number/ Make model... mine is: N5873Q/Mooney M20E

Old November 5th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

wrote:

Which GNS 480 newsgroup? Can you please post the url?

It's a YAHOO group.
Old November 5th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

wrote:

Correct. I assumed everybody knew that.
Jim

There's a long discussion on a GNS480 newsgroup as to whether or not the
AFM change, which echos the SAIB, is mandatory or not.

Which GNS 480 newsgroup? Can you please post the url?

Any other GNS 480 newsgroups that you can recomend?

That's the only one I know of.

I noticed your Tail Number/ Make model... mine is: N5873Q/Mooney M20E

I've had this a/c for close to thirty years. I'd love to get an Ovation 3
or the new Acclaim. I had a demo ride in a 2GX. Sweet airplane. Now all
I need is a spare 1/2 mill. sigh