Season Passes available from Soaring NV in Minden

Old December 21st 19, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Season Passes available from Soaring NV in Minden

Yes Pasi, it was a magical place. Much of the problem today is the vast amount of posters here have never experienced what Minden used to be like. They are the new style of flier who’s entire perspective is a narcisistic one. They rail against clubs and simply want to come out, get their tow, do their independent thing and leave. They have never tasted of the type of camraderie we had even from a commercial operation like High Country Soaring. When HCS was operated there was another commercial operator there. We always gravitated to Tom and Bills op not due to cheaper prices but due to their attitude and their dedication to detail in helping us out when we needed it. Yes at times we just came out and did our own thing, but all the californians who flew out of there regularly, and the locals, with the exception of a few california snobs, looked out for each other, helped each other with their rigging, retrieves, and their knowledge of the area. I just wish other fliers could experience what we did.
Old December 22nd 19, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

"You can please some people most of the time, you WON'T please everyone every time..."..I believe someone famous stated that....

I have flown out of our airport for over 50 years, some was one commercial operator (7 days a week), another commercial operator (weekends and long holiday weekends) as well as the current club....weekends/long weekends only.....possible exceptions....
Agreed....atmosphere may trump (no political comment.....so don't comment) prices to a point. Flying conditions and access to good soaring may be even better.
Old December 22nd 19, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 3:45:30 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

We are all part of a community. But it takes an effort to actually contribute to the community. I have been guilty of showing up at my local glider port, driving by the maintenance/shop and people working there going right to the trailers. Helping a fellow private owner assemble and him I. Pushing out to the flight line taking a tow being hooked up and wing run by young line boys whom are in the sun all day. How many times does anyone tip a line boy or even exchange pleasantries? Do you ever speak to the line boys and find out about their dreams? How many times do you stop by the shop, not to take time with idle chit chat, but just to check in on how they are and what is happening at the shop? Do you have to phone numbers for the line boys or shop personal. I have not always been so aware of what it takes to make the life of a private own go smoothly. It takes employees and capital investment. The FBO's provide a tow service and it really is a SERVICE to be grateful for. The FBO makes their money not from the private owner...
Old December 22nd 19, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]

My $0.02 on the Minden post - At the ripe young age of 76 (who'd a thunk it?)I had an "opportunity" to get back into the sport that I truly loved. I bought a used LS3a that had been completely refinished by JJ. It sparkled. Yes the times have changed much to my chagrin. It took several weeks to get the new registration (previous owner let it lapse) and I needed this to get insurance coverage. Not wanting the time to go to waste - I spent days tweaking minor things with the trailer and panel. Really anxious to fly it - rude awakening -seeking help with the rigging - found out that almost all the glider pilots at least at Minden have gone to "power" -- show up uncover ignite engine, taxi and take off. My once strong body just could not handle the rigging and derigging. -After asking several pilots to help me and being refused, the one pilot on field that day was none other than Jim Payne and his lovely wife Jane who came to my rescue after seeing me land and attempting to take the wings off. Surely they had more important things to attend to BUT without hesitation they offered advice and man (and woman) power to help out.
Now for Minden - yes those were the "good old days" - Remember Hod "expose yourself to soaring" - fast forward to NOW - I have experienced the hired hands at NV Soaring - I got free advice, free help including towing me out to the launch area and bringing me back to derig. Yes the tow cost $$ but it was money well spent. Tim Gardner was my checkout pilot which I needed after so many years being a non pilot. Tim (Perlan pilot) was superb - yes those check rides cost many $$$ but I learned much more than money could buy.
If you whiners that can afford $200,000, $300,000 or more for your glider think about what Minden and NV Soaring has to offer. Its money well spent to keep the sport alive. "Ain't nothing FREE anymore.
Old December 22nd 19, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 8:20:25 AM UTC-8, Joel Flamenbaum wrote:
[...]

I might say that Truckee is an outstanding place to fly from. Really friendly people, in a beautiful place.
Old December 22nd 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 11:20:25 AM UTC-5, Joel Flamenbaum wrote:
... Jim Payne and his lovely wife Jane

That's **Jackie Payne** (Jacqueline Payne)!! Unless I've missed something...
Old December 22nd 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 10:09:15 AM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 11:20:25 AM UTC-5, Joel Flamenbaum wrote:
... Jim Payne and his lovely wife Jane

That's **Jackie Payne** (Jacqueline Payne)!! Unless I've missed something...

I'm old and feeble - lucky I can tie my shoes -- you are absolutely correct it is (was) Jackie
Old December 22nd 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]

[...]

Yes it is (was) Jackie Payne - arthritic fingers on Keyboard
Old December 22nd 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 10:53:05 AM UTC-8, Joel Flamenbaum wrote:
[...]

Joel,

Invest in a one-man rigging dolly - you will never regret it. Also, you can get a "license" to drive your vehicle across the runways to the staging area. You will need to invest in a tow-out gear, but you probably have that already, a flag, handheld radio, an emergency beacon and pass a test (https://www.mindentahoeairport.com/access-waiver).

Tom

Old December 22nd 19, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pasi Pulkkinen

Dan?

what did you fly back in the day in Minden?