Minden: Best part of season for XC flights?

Old August 2nd 05, 07:29 PM
NF

Default Minden: Best part of season for XC flights?

At what time of year should one go to Minden for long distance XC?

Should i expect thermals or wave? I prefer thermals due to the fact that my
wave experience is minor.

Would early to mid august be a good shot?

And finally: Are there any statitics available on the net?

TIA
Niels

Old August 2nd 05, 07:59 PM
Lars Peder Hansen

Hi Niels,

You will find lots of information at
http://www.mindensoaringclub.org/ -Among other stuff some standard courses
with explanations.

- Not sure about the statistics, though.

Best regards,
Lars Peder

. ..

Old August 2nd 05, 10:18 PM
John Sinclair

At 18:54 02 August 2005, Nf wrote:
At what time of year should one go to Minden for long
distance XC?

19th of June, 1993 was the magic day for me, 1011.52
Km and 1000K badge #225, all thermals in an LS-7 &
a full load of water, 10:30 AM to 7:30 PM. Minden can
be an intimidating place, I would go in mid June and
spend some time getting the feel for the place. I flew
a yo-yo to Owens Lake road intersection to Schurz to
Seragosa mine with a planned landing at Bishop.
Good Luck,
JJ

Old August 2nd 05, 11:05 PM
ttaylor at cc.usu.edu

Statistically July is the best month for combination of day length and
heat for thermal flying. Heart of the season is the last two weeks of
June through the first two weeks of August. I did my diamond distance
in September but Minden and the great basin tend to drop off rapidly
after August.

Tim

Old August 3rd 05, 07:43 AM
Paul

Hi John

I know this is of topic but I would like your opinion on LS-7.
Flyability, climbing ability, speed to fly in thermals.

Thank you

Paul

Old August 3rd 05, 02:50 PM
John Sinclair

At 07:06 03 August 2005, Paul wrote:
Hi John

I know this is of topic but I would like your opinion
on LS-7.
Flyability, climbing ability, speed to fly in thermals.

Thank you

Paul

Hi Paul,
Being in the repair business, I have owned a bunch
of sailplanes over the years, acquiring most of them
after they met with misfortune at the hands of their
previous owners. I have been pleasently surprised at
the performance of many ships that have been branded
'unworthy' by the racing hotshots. The LS-7 falls into
this category, sweet flying machine. Can't really find
much in the way of a fault. The wing is smaller than
its predecessor (105 sq. / ft. VS 113 on the LS-4)
so, it might have a bit more trouble working that one
knot turbulent thermal, but other than that, I can't
fault the old girl.

BTW, the Genesis-2 also falls into this category, she's
another 'secret weapon', cruised right with those 18
meter hotshots at Montague last week. I'm thinking
about installing a CG shifter. Anybody have any real
proof they work? I'm convinced CG shifting doesn't
work on conventional sailplanes, but am wondering on
this flying wing thing?
JJ

Old August 3rd 05, 03:13 PM
Stefan

Paul wrote:

I know this is of topic but I would like your opinion on LS-7.
Flyability, climbing ability, speed to fly in thermals.

If you're looking at that last half point of L/D, then it has some draw
backs. It punishes lazy flying, you mustn't fly it too slowly, it looses
in turbulence. But if you're looking for feeling, exact and light
controls, for a plane which reads your thoughts and immediately tells
you every thermal, in a word for the pure joy of flight, then I don't
know a better plane than the LS7.

I'm talking of the version with winglets here. If yours doesn't have
winglets, then add them, the conversion is well worth the cost!

Stefan
Old August 4th 05, 12:29 PM
Paul

Thanks for your input Stefan. Perhaps I should have explained why I
asked. I am a relatively new pilot, about 240 hours and about that many
flights in last 4 years. I have been flying club LS7 (with winglets)
for a fair portion of that time. Last season I have found my self
thermalling faster then I should - often at around 60 knots. Not a good
way to improve one's cross country flying. Do not get me wrong, I do
blame the plane, I am sure the fault is entirely mine. I was just
seeking an input from an experienced pilot.

Paul

Old August 4th 05, 12:40 PM
Paul

Hi John

Thanks for your reply John, I have explained why I asked, in a reply to
Stefan couple of posts above so I will not repeat my self here. Clearly
both of you regard it highly in terms of flyability. I was just
wondering if my 'need for speed' and hence a crisper controls might have
been somehow related to the aircraft. I am happy to sit on 45knots in a
Puch in any thermal, but ending up at 60knots in the LS.

Paul