Engine Sizing and Selection

Old October 31st 03, 04:43 AM
Toks Desalu

Default Engine Sizing and Selection

I am in process of searching for an engine.....well two engines. I am
looking at approimately 100 to 120 horsepower engine each. I am sure that
most people would strongly recommend a reputed aircraft engines. However, I
do not want to limit myself to it. I wanted to see everything before I can
make my decision. Of course, the lighter the engine is, the better. Please
feel free to suggest anything to me. I think I just completed my research on
reputed aircraft engines. I might miss something, so don't hesitate to
mention anything that I might miss. I am currently looking and studying the
rotary engines. Any input about it? Any website about it? Is there any
converted auto engines with horsepower that I am looking for? I will get
into auto research later on, but feel free to talk about it. I will keep all
the posts to my hard drive. Anything related to engines, you better speak
out!!!!!

Toks Desalu
PP-SEL
Dyin' to fly!

Old October 31st 03, 05:03 AM

Take a look at the BMW R1100S conversion, there are hundreds running
in Europe made by a German company called Takeoff Gmbh. Takeoff will
sell you just the redrive or the entire engine and exhaust, ready to
bolt on. The complete engine is about $8000, is rated at 100
horsepower, and uses a brand new BMW engine with dual ignition, etc.
That's a heck of an alternative to an O-200 when you consider that it
is 20 lbs lighter and includes Motronic engine management. The
Takeoff parts are beautiful. This is much more than bolting a Rotax C
gearbox on a motorcycle engine. What I want to do is take that engine
and put an RB RAcing turbo system on it. Balancing fuel requirements
and the strength of the gearbox, 115-120 horsepower is about all I can
ask for without adding supplemental fuel, but the RB turbo system will
maintain that power all the way to 30,000 feet with the help of an HKS
boost controller.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 04:43:52 GMT, "Toks Desalu"
wrote:

[...]
ut!!!!!
:
:Toks Desalu
:PP-SEL
yin' to fly!
:
:

Old October 31st 03, 07:31 PM
G. A. Loeffler

http://www.takeoff-ul.de/Motoren/motoren.html

one of my favourite choices, you may also view the August 2003 page of my
website
http://www.loeff.de/Eingangsseite.html (sorry for the bad English)

-loef

"karel adams" wrote in message

schreef in bericht
Take a look at the BMW R1100S conversion, there are hundreds running
in Europe made by a German company called Takeoff Gmbh.

do you have any URL?
my friend google did not enlighten me

Old October 31st 03, 07:46 PM
Paul Lee

Jabiru makes a 120hp aircraft engine - Jabiru 3300A - $13,000 brand new.
http://www.usjabiru.com/
It includes accessories: Starter, Exhaust, Ram Air Ducts,
Voltage Regulator, Oil Cooler, Alternator, Voltage Regulator, Rubber Mount
Bushings, Prop Guides, Mounting Hardware.

Old October 31st 03, 08:23 PM
Big John

Karel

Hold on to your Google with both hands.

Note on Drudge today indicates that Microsoft is thinking about buying
Google (

Big John

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:01:24 -0000, "karel adams"
wrote:

schreef in bericht
.. .

Old October 31st 03, 10:03 PM
Jay

Since you are using 2 engines, you are in a different position from
the typical experimental aero application as far as the reliability of
each individual componant, and the composite reliability of the system
as a whole. You haven't shared the particular engine configuration
you're planning (e.g. push-pull vs. left right) but the use of two
engines brings additional challenges and opportunities.

Opportunities:
Single ignition motors
Operation at high average outputs
Use of 2 stroke power plants.

Since you have 2 engines, you essentially have redundant everything,
completely decoupled. Real about my twin engine pitch at:

http://inline_twin.tripod.com/concept.html

There are very high output 2 stroke motors available around 1hp/lb.
Mainly adapted from snow mobile (Rotax) applications. Used as a
single, the realibility is below what most people desire, but as a
pair, its down right usuable.

Please share your engine configuration with the group.

Rotary- IMHO great possibilites, sports car engine- high power/weight
ratio for a conversion, fail soft operation (will not seize), 2
plugs/cylinder by default.
Old November 1st 03, 12:21 AM
nuke

Here are some engine related web pages I've collected. Hope they're of some
use.
nuke

collections of links
http://www.aviator.cc/engines.html
http://www.homebuilt.org/vendors/pow...werplants.html
http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~fortuned/homeb.html
http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/avlinks/engines.htm
http://www.homebuilt.org/vendors/pow...werplants.html

individual vendor pages
Mazda-based
http://www.atkinsrotary.com/
http://powersportaviation.com/
diesels
http://www.deltahawkengines.com/
http://www.smaengines.com/en/index_en.shtml
http://www.zoche.de/
Subaru-based
http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/
http://www.crossflow.com/crossflow.html
others
http://franklinengines.com/index.cfm
http://www.jabiru.net.au/engines/enginesin.html
http://www.kodiakbs.com/
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/
http://www.tcmlink.com/

Old November 1st 03, 01:41 AM
AlwaysLearning

Before you look into the many auto and motorcycle conversions, with
their "shell game" of horsepower claims, take a look into a couple of
certified aircraft engines you can buy for similar costs, with much
greater simplicity and ease of installation. I'm assuming you're in
Europe, so my two choices there would be a)PZL Franklin O-235, and
b)Moravia LOM inline, (I forget the designation.) Both engines have
been around forever, and you can buy a factory remanufactured engine
in either one for under 10K, unless prices have gone up, lately. And
both engines have accessories, engine mounts, etc., that were
designed, or can be easily fabricated/duplicated from a certified
aircraft.
Old November 1st 03, 04:10 AM
Toks Desalu

Nah-