Winpilot/SeeYouMob with IPAQ 4150

Old February 24th 04, 05:21 PM
tango4

Hi Jim

You can use a serial to bluetooth converter designed for embedded
applications. simply connecting it to the logger and establishing a BT
connection to the iPaq will solve the problem. Similarly with a 302 the
adaptor goes where the iPaq would have been. You just need to find the right
BT adaptor, pre-program it so that it boots automagically and establishes a
connection to the iPaq.

I hope to put up some pics and process shortly on a website.

Ian

"Jim Kelly" wrote in message
u...
Please elaborate on how to use:
* WinPilot on a non-serial iPaq with a Volkslogger
* WinPilot on a non-serial iPaq with a Cambridge 302

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

"tango4" wrote in message

| "Jim Kelly" wrote in
message

Old February 25th 04, 01:37 AM
Jim Kelly

Thanks Ian,

I had just decided that I would simplify anything I could to get
reliability up whilst gliding. Also had a weak battery whilst
attempting Gold Badge :-) to remind me how important it is to avoid
being extravagant with power!!

Hopefully the next low cost iPaq will offer serial too in the new
size and weight, or better still back to the 3.8" display!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

"tango4" wrote in message
| Hi Jim
|
| You can use a serial to bluetooth converter designed for embedded
| applications. simply connecting it to the logger and establishing
a BT
| connection to the iPaq will solve the problem. Similarly with a
302 the
| adaptor goes where the iPaq would have been. You just need to find
the right
| BT adaptor, pre-program it so that it boots automagically and
establishes a
| connection to the iPaq.
|
| I hope to put up some pics and process shortly on a website.
|
| Ian
|

| "Jim Kelly" wrote in
message
| u...
| Please elaborate on how to use:
| * WinPilot on a non-serial iPaq with a Volkslogger
| * WinPilot on a non-serial iPaq with a Cambridge 302
|
| Cheers,
|
| Jim Kelly
|

| "tango4" wrote in message
| |
| | "Jim Kelly" wrote
in
| message
| | u...
| | Bluetooth offers nil advantage for gliding.
| |
| |
| | Except that you can use the newer and lower cost PDA's. Oh,
and
| you only
| | need one BT converter and once thats in your ship you can
transfer
| the
| | logger files to a BT laptop without any cables or wiring in
the
| panel and
| | without breaking the OO's seals.
| |
| | Ian
| |
| |

Old February 25th 04, 01:58 AM
Jim Kelly

Nick,

The secret will be in the wiring. Brian Sommerville is an expert at
www.gpsoz.com.au and will know if it is possible. The lack of serial
support might be for synchronising Outlook, etc, with a PC. I can
imagine HP wanting to stop support for that. Our needs are very
meagre, just needing one wire for each direction of data flow. Let's
hope it can be done because the H4150 looks a damn fine model. I'm
all for turning off wifi, bt, infrared, etc when gliding.

No need to sell the H4150 as Ian has some gadgets that might help
elsewhere on this thread.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

"Nick Gilbert" wrote in message
| This is one of the things that I have read. I have found plenty of
examples
| on the web of people using their IPAQ 4150's to connect to
Garmins/Magellans
| etc.. I dont see how this would have been possible without serial
| connectivity. The other thing I find odd is that the same HP
website that is
| being quoted from in the prior post sells cables that are
universal for all
| models! Perhaps what they are saying is that you can no longer buy
| straight serial cable for this model.
|
| The bad news is that I already have the IPAQ, and have just bought
| winpilot licence. I will shortly be able to give DEFINITIVE proof
on whether
| it works or not. If not, lookout for a cheap 4150 on Ebay!
|
| Nick.
|

| "Jim Kelly" wrote in
message

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wpa/vat/ge...f43-349042#usb

| quote from it:
| "
| USB desktop cradle/charger:
| Is the iPAQ Pocket PC h4100/h4300 models serial supported?
| No. There is no serial support on the h4100/h4300 series.
|
| Does the cradle for the iPAQ Pocket PC h4100/h4300 models
support
| USB?
| Yes, the cradle for the iPAQ Pocket PC h4100 and h4300 is USB
| only.
|
| Does this cradle work with iPAQ Pocket PCs other than
h4100/h4300
| models?
| No, this cradle is designed specifically to fit the
h4100/h4300
| models slim design.
| "
|

| "Nick Gilbert" wrote in message
| | Now you see why I need clarification on this point!! I have
seen
| both sides
| | of the argument!
| |
| | Nick.
| |
| | "Andrej Kolar" wrote in message
| | Nick, I have to add to the confusion and cancel what I said.
| |
| | A friend of mine tested it this evening. He says:
| | Have tested that. It works! The data is read from Garmin
eTrex
| to 4150.
| |
| | So - It does work. Good news! Lots of pages with links to
PDA
| hardware
| | need
| | updating.
| | Andrej Kolar
| |
| | "Nick Gilbert" wrote in message
| | Andrej,
| |
| | Thankyou for your reply. Have you tried it? Where does
this
| information
| | come
| | from?
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Nick.
| |
| | "Andrej Kolar" wrote in message
| | Nick, iPaq 4150/4155 does not have a COM port built in.
It
| will only
| | work
| | with a Bluetooth GPS receiver, but not with what we
normally
| carry in
| | our
| | cockpits.
| |
| | Andrej Kolar
| |
| | "Nick Gilbert" wrote in message
| | Hi There,
| |
| | Does anyone have any knowledge on the suitability of
an
| IPAQ
| | 4150/4155
| | for
| | use with Winpilot/SeeYouMob? I have read some
conflicting
| advice on
| | whether
| | or not the 4150 is able to communicate serial data (I
have
| | Cambridge
| | GPS-Nav).
| |
| | Does anyone know if this will be possible or if
bluetooth
| is the
| | only
| | way