"Out of fuel, out of hope: 'Help, I'm in the water'"

Old April 30th 05, 03:43 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"George Patterson" wrote in message
news:CbCce.464$c86.208@trndny09...

I've measured the sectional three times now. He went down just east of
Milwaukee, and I get 81 nm from Milwaukee to the east bank.

On a direct route from Hamilton NY to Watertown WI the lake is 68 nm wide.
Perhaps you're using the statute mile scale.

Old April 30th 05, 04:00 AM
George Patterson

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

On a direct route from Hamilton NY to Watertown WI the lake is 68 nm wide.
Perhaps you're using the statute mile scale.

Yep. Wrong scale.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 30th 05, 04:02 AM
Jon Kraus

Musta been his time I guess... Just because he died doesn't mean he
wasn't card for... Just my .02

Peter R. wrote:
Jon Kraus wrote:

Amen brother... I don't believe in coincidences any more nor am I a
religious zealot... I just KNOW that I am being cared for... :-)

So, who was caring for that 20 year-old who ditched in the lake?

Old April 30th 05, 04:05 AM
Jon Kraus

I appreciate you telling the story... I have certainly read several jsut
like yours.. They are make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Thanks for sharing Matt.

Jon Kraus

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message

Sounds like the grace of God to me... Well placed bit of turbulence my
ass.... Somone was looking out for you...

Maybe...but I was over the eastern slope of the Rockies, so turbulence is
rather common that time of day. Even at 10,500 I was only about 2000 feet
AGL when roused from my slumber.

There are loads of stories about pilots that fell asleep and wound up in
farmers fields. Usually, they were several hundred miles from their
destinations when they ran out of fuel and woke up in time to deadstick it
in.

I also recall pilots that dozed off and flew out over the ocean, only to run
out far from shore. I recall one that woke up when he was maybe 300 miles
out over the Atlantic and when he woke he had enough fuel left for about 100
miles (not sure of the numbers, but a similar ratio). Even though he was in
contact with ATC for quite a few minutes, and they got a good triangulation
on him, they never found the wreckage.

I wonder how many CFIT crashes were pilots falling asleep.

OTOH, our family doctor (Dr. Shad was his name...funny the things you
remember) when I was a kid (maybe 8 or so) had a plane and disappeared over
Lake Michigan near Chicago while returning from somewhere back east. That
was the early 60's.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Gene Seibel wrote:

That's one I haven't done. Came close to sleeping when Sue was flying
the other day, but even that is difficult for me. That well placed bit
of turbulence was certainly a good thing for you.

A "Lifesaver" you could say! :~)

--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old April 30th 05, 04:08 AM
Jon Kraus

What makes you think that he wasn't? Just because he died doesn't mean
he wasn't being cared for.. Just my .02 though. YMMV

Jon

Old April 30th 05, 04:29 AM
Jose

The book cruise speed of the Archer II is
139 ktas

I don't even get that in the Dakota. You sure that's not MPH?

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 30th 05, 05:00 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
I appreciate you telling the story... I have certainly read several jsut
like yours.. They are make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Thanks for sharing Matt.

Jon Kraus

Glad to share!

What I was hoping to do was encourage others here to tell their stories of
screw-ups and how they managed to survive. Rather like Flying Mag's "I
learned about flying from...".

We hear the reports of accidents, so I thought it might be beneficial to
hear the stories of accidents avoided at the last moment.

In my case, the "punch line" is "Don't fly when fatiqued".

Like I said, I was lucky -- 15 more minutes or so and I would have dug a big
crater. In this case of falling asleep, running out of gas would have been
the least of my worries. I still had probably 40 gallons/2.5 hours of fuel
aboard, so the crater I would have dug would have been accompanied by a big
fire ball.

This was the second time in my life I was "lucky". When I was in my 20's, a
bullet ricochet literally parted my hair. I figure not to tempt the Fates
any further.

Along those line, anoyone got any good ghost stories? :~)

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old April 30th 05, 05:07 AM
Dave Stadt

"john smith" wrote in message
Jon Kraus wrote:
I wonder what would have happened if he would have called 30 minutes
before running out of gas and had the Coast Guard giving him "Flight
Following" Maybe they could have got there before the plane sank. I
don't even know if that was a possibility. Just a thought.

Lake Watch Reporting Progam is available through Flight Service.
Contact FSS prior to going feet wet.
Call FSS every 10 minutes and report as necessary (High and Dry, or

Mayday!)
Cancel Lake Watch when feet dry.
With the exception of Western Lake Erie where I can island hop within
gliding distance, I will not cross open water without using this service
or or talking to ATC.

In this case it would not have helped. Unfortunately, under the
circumstances, he was dead when the engine quit.

Old April 30th 05, 06:11 AM
George Patterson

Jose wrote:
The book cruise speed of the Archer II is 139 ktas

I don't even get that in the Dakota. You sure that's not MPH?

Clarke lists the Archer II cruise speed as 148 mph, which would be about 128 knots.

Old April 30th 05, 06:25 AM
Morgans

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote

If the water had been 32 degrees F instead of 40 it would have been 8
degrees colder, but it still would have been liquid.

It is arguing nits, but I'll play the game you started.

If the water of the lake was all indeed at 32 degrees, it would all be a
giant ice cube. If it were all at 32.1 degrees, it would all be liquid.
The wave action has nothing to do with it.

In reality, lakes do not freeze because of wave action, because it keeps the
deeper warmer water mixed with the water at the surface that is trying to
get frozen because of the colder air. When the water just below the surface
is cold enough that it can't keep the water at the surface warm enough, it
starts to freeze.

Water has the unusual property of getting less dense, when it gets to almost
freezing. That is the only thing that keeps lakes from freezing solid, from
the bottom up. Most things get more dense as they get colder, so the cold
sinks to the bottom of the container, but not water.
--
Jim in NC