Question about Question 4488

Old October 26th 03, 04:58 PM

Default Question about Question 4488

I'm having some trouble with question 4488.
In the Insturment rating exam

TextRefer to figures 85 and 86) Which combination of indications
confirm that you are approaching WAGGE intersection slightly to the
right of the LOC centerline on departure?

A 1 and 3 -My answer
B 1 and 4
C 2 and 3 -Book answer

I read this question as right of centerline from the airplane
perspective.

Since this is a departure procedure you will be flying the
localizer outbound. (back course) So localizer indications should be
reversed.

If you are right of course the localizer needle will point to the
right. (Back course)

However the answer book says thats wrong.

It says the loc needle should point to the left.

There are one of three possible explainations:
1)I'm lost, possible but I don't think so.

2)They mean to the "Right" not of course but of the depicition
of the course on the printed page.

3)The words (fine print next to the localizer depiction)
"Back Course" refer to the localizer inblound to the airport
direction, or to the direction that you are flying the
localizer for this procedure?

The chart does not have the shading on the localizer, which would
resolve the front course back course issues

In general this WASHOE TWO Departure seems to be confusing from the
front course backcourse perspective unless you also have the approach
plate in hand to resolve the actal direction of the localizer..

Thoughts or comments?

Old October 26th 03, 06:29 PM
Bob Gardner

Needle deflection as you fly outbound on the back course are the same as
those seen inbound on the front course...if you are right of course, the
needle deflects to the left. The rule on intersections is: If the needle is
on the same side as the station, you aren't there yet. So answer C is
correct. Your problem is that you think needle deflections change as you fly
over the localizer antenna, and this is just plain wrong.

Bob Gardner

Old October 26th 03, 07:15 PM
Roy Smith

"Bob Gardner" wrote:
The rule on intersections is: If the needle is
on the same side as the station, you aren't there yet.

I learned that as the easy to remember phrase, "Same Side, Safe".

Another Painting Question c hinds Home Built 6 December 6th 04 02:39 AM
Newbie Question, really: That first flight Cecil Chapman Home Built 25 September 20th 04 05:52 AM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 02:51 AM