Crosscountry.aero

Old December 24th 12, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]

Default Crosscountry.aero

I am delighted to announce the launch of a new cross-country soaring site:

http://www.crosscountry.aero

Here are a few of the site highlights:

Crosscountry.aero introduces evaluation of flights according to IGC
rules as well as OLC-type tasks. Flights are also evaluated for FAI
badge requirements.

One of the main site features is the ability to easily share flight
experiences with other pilots, but also with non-flying friends and
family. For every flight you upload, you can easily create an image
gallery or even write an entire article containing pictures and video.

We are also introducing the Pilot Ranking, a new flexible competition
format we hope will prove to be fun and popular.

There are also plenty of tools to track your soaring achievements, from
following your progress through the badges to viewing statistics on your
season performance.

I invite you to take a look at the site. Don't forget to upload your
flights!

Best wishes for the holidays,

Alexander Georgas
Editor - Crosscountry.aero
Old December 25th 12, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin

I was going to upload my flights, but I noticed you guys don't have any
Schweizers in the Sailplane list! Kind of surprising that I can't pick a
1-26 when you have 10 different configurations of a Ventus to choose
from...

Regards,

Daniel Sazhin

Old December 25th 12, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tobias Bieniek

Am Montag, 24. Dezember 2012 14:53:06 UTC+1 schrieb Alexander Georgas:
[...]

What is the advantage compared to other platforms like the OLC or SkyLines?
Old December 25th 12, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]

Apologies for the error. A testing glider list seems to have made its
way into production.

The list has now been corrected and you will find the 1-26 listed as
Schweizer SGS 1-26.

Best regards,

Alexander Georgas

Since

Old December 25th 12, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:36:37 AM UTC-5, Tobias Bieniek wrote:

What is the advantage compared to other platforms like the OLC or SkyLines?

Why is it a good thing to have flights scattered across multiple sites?

Old December 25th 12, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]

Hi Tobias,

I would not like so say that crosscountry.aero is better than other
sites, only that it offers something slightly different.

OLC is of course a very successful decentralized competition format. We
are not seeking to compete with OLC, but rather introduce an additional
competition option for people who would like to fly varied types of
declared or free distance tasks in addition to the OLC 6-leg task. The
format of the competition is also a bit different in that it does not
run on a single-year cycle, but rather takes into account the pilot's
best and most recent seasons. We are hoping that pilots will enjoy
having an additional and slightly different type of online competition
to participate in, rather than choosing one or the other.

The main difference, however, is that while the OLC site focuses around
a competition, crosscountry.aero aims to accomplish a few additional things:

I often see postings on ras and other places which mention an
interesting flight and then give links to a video and maybe also an
article or an image gallery. In an age when many pilot carry a camera in
the cockpit, it has become much easier to communicate this wonderful
side of our sport to our friends and fellow pilots, yet I feel that it
is still difficult to make this material available in an easy way.

One of the major aims of the site is to provide an easy and enjoyable
way to share flight experiences with fellow pilots, but also with a
general audience which may not have experience in gliding. We have
started by providing an image gallery and a blog for each flight.

You can easily upload pictures to the image gallery and it it will
automatically sort such things as resizing to a usable format and
rotating (if your camera will record portrait/landscape orientation).
You can also very easily type in a few words for the flight in the blog,
or if you wish write an entire article with embedded pictures and video.
We are planning to also introduce annotated maps and additional tools,
which will allow you to easily produce interesting visual aids to
describe your flights.

The point is that these things will be available right next to the
technical description of the flight performance. As a further step, you
can just press the like button and a link will be published in your
Facebook page, putting your latest soaring experience only a click away
from your friends.

A second major difference with the sites I am aware of is that
crosscountry.aero will evaluate flights for every task type available in
the IGC performance rulebook (SC3) and it will do so according to the
full sporting requirements of the rules. This is really useful if you
like to fly declared task or non-OLC free tasks, but also if you would
like to validate a flight against Badge performance requirements.

The site will also track your progress through the badges, which brings
me to the third point I would like to make. There is a number of tools
available for pilots to track their overall soaring performance through
the seasons.

I cannot comment on SkyLines, as I have not really used it, other than
to say that it looks like a very well produced site.

Our vision at crosscountry.aero is to continue developing the site as a
resource for gliding, by providing a number of useful tools and
databases and I would say that this is probably the main difference in
respect to the OLC and similar sites, which are more focused around a
single competition format.

I encourage you to give it a try. The success of the site is based
entirely on the willingness of people to used it.

Best regards,

Alexander Georgas

Old December 25th 12, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]

It is not really a good thing!

The main point here is that different sites offer different things. If
we could take away the fragmentation of flight data, this would be good
for all parties. I hope that the various sites can eventually come to an
agreement to automatically cross-post flight data from pilots who
consent to do so.

Best regards,

Alexander Georgas

Old December 25th 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:25:56 PM UTC-5, Alexander Georgas wrote:
I hope that the various sites can eventually come to an

agreement to automatically cross-post flight data from pilots who

consent to do so.

What about a site that acts as a front end to automatically post a flight to all of the relevant sites?

Putting aside the fragmentation problem, I applaud your effort to innovate. Your site looks good and I like your general idea.
Old December 25th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 12/25/2012 11:25 AM, Alexander Georgas wrote:
I hope that the various sites can eventually come to an agreement to
automatically cross-post flight data from pilots who consent to do so.

I think that is an excellent goal! I'm encouraged to see new sites
offering additional features, but do not want to fragment the flight
records.

email me)