glider/airplane collision

Old January 13th 04, 10:48 PM
Sandy McAusland

Default glider/airplane collision

I heard a report of a collision between a glider and a power plane
somewhere in California sometime in December 2003. Does anyone have
any info on this ??
Old January 13th 04, 11:20 PM
Tom Dukerich

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:48:51 -0800, Sandy McAusland wrote:

I heard a report of a collision between a glider and a power plane
somewhere in California sometime in December 2003. Does anyone have
any info on this ??

December 28th at Turf Soaring in Arizona.

Search this group for Mid-Air at Turf Soaring.

Old January 14th 04, 02:06 AM
BTIZ

Turf Soaring.. Phoenix AZ
ASK-21 doing acro.. and a J-3 Cub
4 lost
all debris fell in the acro box

BT

om...

Old January 14th 04, 03:57 PM
Michael Stringfellow

NTSB preliminary report is now released at
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X00028&key=2

or you can check Arizona Soaring Association's web site at
www.asa-soaring.org

Mike

ASW-20 WA

Old January 14th 04, 05:18 PM
ADP

I don't mean to be unkind here or diminish the tragic event, but who
finishes a loop in a glider at 600' AGL?
Or, unless in an airshow, any other kind of aircraft?
Just wondering.

Allan

Old January 14th 04, 06:17 PM
mm

"ADP" wrote in message
I don't mean to be unkind here or diminish the tragic event, but who
finishes a loop in a glider at 600' AGL?
Or, unless in an airshow, any other kind of aircraft?
Just wondering.

Allan

Anyone who has an FAA aerobatic altitude waiver. I've seen many loops end
significantly lower than 600'.
mm

Old January 15th 04, 12:23 AM
Terry Claussen

"mm" wrote in message ...

Anyone who has an FAA aerobatic altitude waiver. I've seen many loops end
significantly lower than 600'.
mm

Well I don't have a Letter of Authority to perform low altitude
aerobatics, but I do have a LOA for another area. The letter is
excruciatingly specific about what I am and am not permitted to do. I
hope for Turf and Roy's sake that all conditions on said letter were
complied with.
Old January 15th 04, 12:39 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

I have seen many loops finishing below 600ft QFE, I have done them myself.

I have also seen a tug which had been damaged by being hit by a two seat
glider which had been doing a spin for training purposes at a reasonable
height, luckily everyone landed uninjured and with no further damage.

Collision is now one of the biggest hazards in gliding, and in the U.K. we
have unfortunately had several reminders that even very experienced and
current pilots are not exempt. Having plenty of height and being
predictable are a help, but not enough in themselves.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Old January 15th 04, 01:29 AM
Michael McNulty

Terry Claussen wrote:

Well I don't have a Letter of Authority to perform low altitude
aerobatics, but I do have a LOA for another area. The letter is
excruciatingly specific about what I am and am not permitted to do. I
hope for Turf and Roy's sake that all conditions on said letter were
complied with.

Compared to what he has lost already, what the FAA can take is
insignificant.

Old January 15th 04, 04:16 PM
Terry Claussen

http://www.avweb.com/news/safety/182980-1.html