Insane Legal System - was SR22 Crash

Old March 4th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Insane Legal System - was SR22 Crash

"Jose" wrote in message
t...

Yes, it does.

No it doesn't.

Not all cases look legitimate on first viewing, and that's the viewing
that the lawyer who will decide whether to risk a contingincy case will
see.

All legitimate cases look legitimate on first viewing.

Small fry (or even big fry) with legitimate cases can still lose.

Cite one.

Why should a lawyer risk it when the downside is on him?

There is no downside on loser pays.

Old March 4th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Bear opined

Denny wrote:
I see where the widow of Cory Lidel has filed a suit against Cirrus
claiming defective design...
Maybe she can sue his parents for having had a stupid child...
\We absolutely need a 'loser pays' law in this country...

denny

Well, that confirms the impression we have in Switzerland of (some) US
attorneys.
Please do not blame a company like FLARM if they add statements like
"Operation of FLARM is forbidden in the USA or Canada or in aircraft
registered in the USA or Canada." to their manuals.

What is FLARM? And what are we missing?

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old March 4th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

No it doesn't.

Is this the five minute argument, or do you want the full half hour?

All legitimate cases look legitimate on first viewing.

Then why aren't they all settled on first viewing?

Cite one.

Cite one what? All you'll do is disagree that the case was (or wasn't)
legitimate.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 4th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jose" wrote in message
t...
Tax the earnings of all laywers by say 1% and form a fund to support
lawsuits by those who otherwise can't afford it.

The point isn't that they can't afford it (at least starting out). The
point is that even if they could afford starting the lawsuit, the (much)
deeper pocket can easily bury the plaintiff, raising his legal bills far
beyond what would be reasonable if it weren't a war. And that is what a
lawsuit is - a war.

If it was a case that the victim's lawyer felt really good about winning,
the lawyer could work in on a basis that he only got paid (and nicely) when
they won.

I agree. A change is long overdue. Changes need to be made, if our society
is to survive.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 4th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message
t...

Is this the five minute argument, or do you want the full half hour?

Give me all you've got, I expect it will take less than a minute.

Cite one what?

Cite a legitimate case that lost.

All you'll do is disagree that the case was (or wasn't) legitimate.

Let's find out if you're right about that. Cite a legitimate case that
lost.

Old March 4th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
It doesn't matter whether it makes sense or not. The lawyers for Cirrus
will settle rather than enter into a protracted and even more expensive
court case.

The lawyers for Cory Lidle will win.

As Denny said, we need "Loser pays".

Old March 4th 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Chris" wrote in message

"Denny" wrote in message
s.com...
I see where the widow of Cory Lidel has filed a suit against Cirrus
claiming defective design...
Maybe she can sue his parents for having had a stupid child...
\We absolutely need a 'loser pays' law in this country...

It is the case here in the UK, the loser pays both sides costs.

IIRC, the US is the only industrial nation that DOESN'T use "Loser Pays".
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC

Old March 4th 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

IIRC, the US is the only industrial nation that DOESN'T use "Loser Pays".

consider: We also don't have user fees,

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old March 4th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Ash,

What is FLARM?

donning flak jacket

A solution in search of a problem - at least for you in the US.

FLARM is a collision warning system totally independent of transponders
or ADS-B. It has both an active transmitter and receiver enabling
FLARM-equipped aircraft to detect each other and warn of impending
collisions, employing GPS for position data. A FLARM unit in an
aircraft wil ONLY "see" other FLARM-equipped aircraft. It was invented
in Switzerland and has spread impressively in the glider community both
in Switzerland and Germany because:

1. there are a lot more gliders in Europe and especially in the Alps
than there are in the US
2. gliders rarely carry transponders - though they might in the future,
since transponders with low power requirements are coming to market
3. There is no such thing as TIS in Europe, even though Eurocontrol
requires S mode for GA.

Personally, I think FLARM is a dead end, since it is a niche solution
not endorsed by any ATC authority and S mode, TCAS and ultimately ADS-B
do exactly the same thing, will become viable in gliders and integrate
into what the ATCs of the world have in mind. Which, in turn, will lead
to a market size capable of financing certification for onboard units.

But: The spread of FLARM units in Europe still is impressive.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 4th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Did anybody see the interview of the lawyer representing Anna Nicole Smith's
mother and how he bilked Dow Corning on the breast implant deal? He made
millions, Dow Corning went broke, then the FDA said that the implants were
indeed safe after all. Scum.
Jim

I will not hijack this thread by going on to the Dow tragedy - but I
will comment that the plant that made them is near my office and a
number of the people (now unemployed) who actually made the implants
came to me and asked my opinion.. As a result I dove into the
literature and it was crystal clear to me that all the clinical trials
did not show any problems from the immune system being exposed to
silicone.. Time and further studies have ony reinforced those
findings... Just another notch in the gunbelt our unsane legal
system...
denny

SR22 crash involved racecar driver Darkwing Piloting 24 November 4th 06 02:04 AM
insane IMC Napoleon Dynamite Piloting 20 August 4th 06 05:32 PM
SR22 crash in Henderson Executive [email protected] Piloting 2 July 27th 05 02:30 AM
Bill Gates as he presents the Windows Media Player system crash [email protected] Piloting 0 January 11th 05 09:06 PM
The insane spitfire video clip gatt General Aviation 30 November 4th 03 06:43 PM