Webinar Shoutout!

Old May 23rd 19, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Ethridge

Default Webinar Shoutout!

Completely fascinating webinar. A real life-saver!
Old May 23rd 19, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

That was, for me, a hair raising webinar. The hair on the back of my neck literally stood up several times.
No Knock to David but I think it should have been Titled: How Several bad decisions almost cost me my life. He got very lucky he lived through that!
One take way for me was his comment just before he was going to land was he thought about hitting the SOS on his Tracker.
This is a interesting thought, I may do this if faced with landing in the boondocks, in a bad area where the outcome is uncertain.
With the Garmin InReach you can cancel your SOS call, after a walk away landing, if you don't need it.

All sorts of reasons to send a SOS and few not too, if faced with a dicey landing in the back of nowhere.
Old May 24th 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Lessnick 51P

Nick is correct on the first part - inadequate flight planning, multitasking in the cockpit (way too much communicating vs aviating and navigating), and leaving a safe outlanding option (dry lake bed) behind me while pushing ahead knowing I needed that “one last thermal” - and BELIEVING I WOULD FIND IT created a user made scenario where LUCK was the main ingredient (I got away with a broken knee and a few contusions) for the fact that I’m alive today.

As far as pressing the SOS on the PLB PRIOR to landing in “unlandable” terrain is something that did NOT cross my mind but something that I would CERTAINLY do and recommend to others for the simple fact that I could have easily lost consciousness during impact. In my opinion, the proper time to do so would be at approx 1k AGL . Any lower and I believe 99.9% of us will be (and rightly so) too intensely focused on the task of landing.

Have a great Memorial weekend everyone.
Old May 24th 19, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jj

Thanks for sharing David!

SSA WEBINAR Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 13 November 9th 18 01:00 AM
October 2 Webinar dmarin Soaring 0 September 23rd 18 05:29 PM
9/4 Webinar dmarin Soaring 8 August 27th 18 10:08 PM
EAA Soaring Webinar Frank Whiteley Soaring 2 November 9th 16 06:17 PM
This Saturday's Webinar Tom[_12_] Soaring 0 January 23rd 12 04:42 PM