Does a Baron 58 have an ejection seat?

Old October 16th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche Cohen

Default Does a Baron 58 have an ejection seat?

Jim Macklin wrote:
Wisdom is where you find it.

I thought they smelled bad on the outside.

The Day the Earth Stood Still
"we come in peace" If you don't stop "Earth will be reduced
to a burned out cider"

All the World's a Stage,
and the Men and Women merely Players.
And if the reviews don't get better,
I'm closing the show.

(with apologies to Will S. and whoever writ the last 2 lines)

Old October 16th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Does anyone actually have an answer to the question?

Old October 16th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Back to airplanes... I've been talking with my son and
thinking about the perfect solution to airplane crashes.

Design an airplane with the top like a space shuttle cargo
door. Carry some very light weight high pressure hydrogen
or Helium tanks and a three bag blimp folded into the top.
In an emergency, pull the handle and your plane becomes a
blimp with the airplane being the gondola. If the engines
run, you can even steer.
As you near the ground, airbags such as a car or a Mars
Rover use, will be popped out fore landing. [This would be
a great idea on a BRS airplane to avoid the broken back and
ankles. A plane like a Bonanza has the seats on the spar
and will surely break your back if you landed by parachute.]
If the airbags were shaped like a boat you could row your
boat to shore. But just round bags under the fuselage and
wings would keep you upright in the water too.

It would be VERY safe because it would be so heavy it would
never get off the ground.

Old October 16th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Jim Macklin wrote:
LOL

BTW, matter transmission as done on StarTrek can NEVER
happen and just because of the Heisenberg (sp) effect.
Einstein's equation works both ways, E=MC^2 means that to
create matter with a weight equal to a person would require
the energy of several thousand atomic bombs, under full
control and without destruction of the mechanism.

The only reason it works on Star Trek is because of the discovery of
controlled matter-antimatter reactions. In the early days it was
difficult and dangerous, but dilithium crystals found on other planets
made control of the reaction much easier. The transporter was
impossible without the crystals, as was related technology, including
the communicators. The communicators did not use radio waves as we know
them, but were really miniature transporters that moved data. The
phasers, including the hand weapons, also used this technology.
Everything in Star Trek, from the spacecraft engines to shields,
cloaking devices, communicators, the Tricorder and Dr. McCoy's
examination pen were all variants of the same fundamental device. Even
the Holodeck is dependent on it.

Old October 16th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Jim Macklin wrote:
I think a StarWars light saber might be possible with a
controlled magnetic field and plasma.

But it would not allow users to parry like in Star Wars. This is the
real problem with Star Wars technology. Light does not behave like
light. In Star Wars, you can have force fields which you can see
through but they repel visible laser light. Same problem in Star Trek.
A force field that repels a photon torpedo must, of necessity, be
opaque.

Star Wars is a lot worse, though. WW II battleship scenes and aerial
fights involving solid projectiles and explosives, but the recoil of
these never seems affect the ship using them. You can blow up a Ti
fighter heading straight at you, and the particles do no damage to your
ship despite the fact that they have the same mass and speed and are
now probably even more dangerous. Ships have artificial gravity, but
when one of them is shot down and tilts toward a planet, everyone falls
towards the nose (planetside) of the ship. What, the artificial gravity
always points toward the nearest planet rather than the floor of the
ship, or if it fails the planet's gravity can suddenly be felt on a
ship in orbit?

And where do these guys get off with the noise in space? Noisy
explosions (and you hear the noise at the moment of the explosion, too,
not delayed for a time while the sound travels to you -- even if you
are on a planet and it is a starship many miles above you that is
exploding). And noisy spaceships and engines. What ever happened to the
silence of "2001: A Space Odyssey" (no doubt the "music of the spheres"
was playing "Blue Danube" all along)?

But back to light sabers. Larry Niven in his stories posited a
"variable sword." This is actually a wire only one molecule thick (and
therefore extremely sharp) coiled in the handle of a flashlight-like
device. The wire can be extended out any length up to about four feet.
It is held straight and rigid by a force field that affects only the
wire -- the same type of force field that enables spaceships to crash
into planets without harm to the occupants (although they may be buried
beneath tons of rock). If this was a glowing force field, it would look
just like a light saber. So you could say that Lucas was just copying
something that Larry Niven had already invented.

Old October 16th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Mxsmanic wrote:
Does anyone actually have an answer to the question?

Yes, but we are not going to tell you. You just have to go find a real
Baron and look for yourself.

Old October 16th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Well then, until we can go to other planets, it will have to
wait. Wait, Catch 22, no warp drive, can't get there to get
warp drive.

"cjcampbell" wrote in
message
ups.com...

Old October 16th 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

A magnetic field could contain plasma [ which is hot and
emits light ]. Pulsing the field would create the noise and
allow the plasma to contact normal matter. The high
frequency pulse would re-establish the containment.

"cjcampbell" wrote in
message
oups.com...

Old October 16th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jim,

and just because of the Heisenberg (sp) effect.

Ah, you're wrong. The Heisenberg correlator does away with that
problem. Part of any decent beaming device. The technical advisors to
Star Trek were asked once in an interview how the correlator works.
Answer: "Thanks, just fine."

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 16th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

I know, I know -- because it's an elegant weapon. But without The
Force to guide your hand, you're just a sitting duck for a guy in a
walker with a laser cannon...

Ah, that greatest of all scenes in Indiana Jones in that Arabic market,
where he fights an armada of guys in hand-to-hand combat, and then the
top guy comes on elaborately swinging his sword - and indy simply
shoots him.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)