V7 vario resetting in flight

Old February 20th 14, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default V7 vario resetting in flight

Hi,

I have a V7 vario connected to an Oz FLARM and HX4700 PDA. All devices get powered from V7.

If the PDA is not 100% charged, the V7 resets in flight. When it happens, FLARM restarts and the program that runs on the PDA looses GPS signal.

Usually the program comes back as soon the FLARM regains the PS signal, but every now and then, the programs drops to he operating system and the flight stats are lost.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks
Jarek
Old February 20th 14, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Startup[_2_]

Nope.

An e-mail to Uroš Krašovic at LX Nav may help. He knows this kit inside
out and is very helpful.

Pete

Old February 20th 14, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:48:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,

I have a V7 vario connected to an Oz FLARM and HX4700 PDA. All devices get powered from V7.

If the PDA is not 100% charged, the V7 resets in flight. When it happens, FLARM restarts and the program that runs on the PDA looses GPS signal.

Usually the program comes back as soon the FLARM regains the PS signal, but every now and then, the programs drops to he operating system and the flight stats are lost.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jarek

LX V7 manual, p33 of 39, says 5v output is 1 amp max.
Ozflarm manual says it draws 55 ma (typical), double that when alarming, so 110ma.
ipaq 4700: according to Daryl Ramm's power budget briefing to PASCO (google it), IPAQ 4700 draws .39A charged (page 22), .99A flat (page 25), assuming full backlight (I had a 4700 and this was the only way I could see it). I assume you have any unnecessary programs, wireless and IR shut off on your 4700 to save power...

It looks to me like you're just drawing too much power, and it is overheating and shutting down. It might be just under max until the flarm warns, and then shuts down when you need it most.

My last PDA 3955 drew easily over 1A (tested with ammeter) when it wasn't fully charged. I used a PWR-5B Power Converter for mine, and it was quite efficient and trustworthy.

At the cost of a V7 and the likelihood of damaging it, I'd get another 5v power source for one of the two systems you currently have connected.
Old February 20th 14, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the response, it does make sense. I've been in touch with Uros and Paul Remde, both very helpful.

I missed the point about max 1 amp V7 output, perhaps there should be a more explicit warning in the user manual that in some configurations, V7 is not capable to deliver enough power to all connected devices.

It is a great vario, and in addition to that, the main attraction of it was (at least for me) that I could power all devices from one source. Had I known about potential problems, I would've handled the whole thing differently.

The current plan is to power the IPAQ via a powered cradle and use a data only cable to connect to V7 or to pass data via Bluetooth (BTW any comments on V7 Bluetooth module?).

Thanks again
Jarek

Old February 21st 14, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:48:21 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Hi,

I have a V7 vario connected to an Oz FLARM and HX4700 PDA. All devices get powered from V7.

If the PDA is not 100% charged, the V7 resets in flight. When it happens, FLARM restarts and the program that runs on the PDA looses GPS signal.

Usually the program comes back as soon the FLARM regains the PS signal, but every now and then, the programs drops to he operating system and the flight stats are lost.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jarek

Jarek,

The 1 amp max 5v is only for the PDA side of the V7.

The GPS side outputs 12v to the GPS at Line amps.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 21st 14, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

I had the same thing happen with mine last year. Have not identified the problem yet. I have a V7 with PFlarm brick and bright Oudie. I was also running new batteries to complicate the trouble shooting.
Old February 21st 14, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:48:21 PM UTC+11, wrote:
Hi,

I have a V7 vario connected to an Oz FLARM and HX4700 PDA. All devices get powered from V7.

If the PDA is not 100% charged, the V7 resets in flight. When it happens, FLARM restarts and the program that runs on the PDA looses GPS signal.

Usually the program comes back as soon the FLARM regains the PS signal, but every now and then, the programs drops to he operating system and the flight stats are lost.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jarek

I've had a V7 for about a year, running with only an Oz-Flarm GPS input. No power problems until I decided to connect the V7 to my Avier navigator when it became evident very quickly that the V7 could not supply sufficient power to run the Avier let alone keep the battery charged. Occasionally the whole system would drop out when the V7 rebooted. I now power the Avier from a separate 5 volt supply whilst retaining the data feed from the V7, both inputting through the same mini-USB connector at the Avier. It's early days but I think that has fixed the problem.

Geoff Vincent
Old February 21st 14, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

I'm planning to run a V7 with a Power Flarm Brick and an Oudie 2/bright as well.

Is everyone running this combination having this power issue? Is everyone trying to have the V7 power all three units? Are there other options for power scenarios such as powering the V7 from the Oudie power cable or from the Flarm cable? I assume that you can only have power from one source to the V7. Would powering each unit through its own power cord still allow connectivity for corded communication between the three devices?
Old February 21st 14, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, February 21, 2014 5:03:39 AM UTC-8, Greg Delp wrote:
I'm planning to run a V7 with a Power Flarm Brick and an Oudie 2/bright as well.

Is everyone running this combination having this power issue? Is everyone trying to have the V7 power all three units? Are there other options for power scenarios such as powering the V7 from the Oudie power cable or from the Flarm cable? I assume that you can only have power from one source to the V7. Would powering each unit through its own power cord still allow connectivity for corded communication between the three devices?

V7 GPS port is not an issue as the 12v is the same 12v as you glider battery.

The issue is with the PDA Port 5v 1 amp power. Some PDA draw much more.

I have not heard of any Oudie II problems.

If you have a problem with the Oudie you could use the Oudie Power Converter just make sure you only have data and not 12v from the V7 to the Oudie Power converter.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com